Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 King Cab with a ProComp Stage II lift. Im getting what seems like a thump or a pop from the rear when im coming to a complete stop, when I release the brakes from a complete stop, and sometime while just sitting at a light. Its not constant, but its pretty noticeable when it happens. I have torn the transmission mount previous and replaced it. Thought that might have been it, but mount is good. Feel a bit different this time. That used to be a thump when hitting the gas from a stop. Now its right before actually stop, or right when releasing the brake at a light.

Took it into the dealer and they said they put it up on the lift and that the rear end was moving around bc the U-bolts were loose. But they are stuck and can not be tightened. I took it to the auto hobby shop on base and threw it on a lift. Couldnt get the rear end to move at all. also couldnt tighten the U-bolts or loosen them at all. Talked to Greg about some trac bars, but he said that the rear end shouldnt be moving like that. Im thinking maybe cut off the u-bolts and add new ones? But its weird. It happens sometimes just sitting still at a light. With the truck not moving at all it thumps sometimes. Almost made me think it was the transmission. But Im not having any other issues. Shifts great all the way through up and down. Its just at the very very low speed just before a stop, just after releasing the brakes, and sometimes at a complete stop.

Can anyone help? Is this something someone has experienced before? My warranty JUST ran out 200 miles ago. Thinking about extending it in case its the trans. But at 2500 for 3 years, and the possibility of them not covering the trans bc of the lift, its a toss up. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a bone stock 2004 LE crew-cab 4x4 without the off-road package and have had this problem for the last few years. The dealership has looked at it several times and found nothing wrong. As usual, when the tech is riding with me it never happens.

I spent a lot of time searching for anyone reporting the same thing and you are the only one. Some told me the rear shocks were bad. Someone else said the rear U-bolts were loose. Mine were, and after tightening them to the factory spec of 90 ft/lbs it seemed to go away for a little while but came back.

I just got my truck back from the dealership for another problem that I will be writing about extensively very soon. It involved a transfer case failure that no one has ever seen before. Details coming soon. I didn’t experience any popping on the way home.

In the mean time, this may sound crazy, but check the fluid level in your transfer case and please let me know what you find. The fluid fill/inspection plug is on the driver's side near the top facing rearward. The drain plug is at the bottom facing rearward.

Greg

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I have an 04 King Cab with a ProComp Stage II lift. Im getting what seems like a thump or a pop from the rear when im coming to a complete stop, when I release the brakes from a complete stop, and sometime while just sitting at a light.
Search for 'axle wrap' and you'll have plenty to keep you busy.
I have done the $25 helper-spring traction-bar mod and it made a big difference.

There are also issues with the driveshaft splines - mostly in 4x2 I think since their driveshaft splines are at the center bearing (dry...) and not lubricated by gear oil like 4x4's are in the transfer case. But I greased mine when I did U-joints anyway.

Finally - U-joints. There's a lot of play in that driveline and any looseness just makes it worse.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replaced U bolts. No change. Seems to be getting worse. Its NOT axle wrap. The truck isnt under any power when it thumps. Its almost like the rear end or the transfer case is slipping and catching. Taking it in to Nissan tomorrow to hopefully get it figured out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts