Nissan Titan Forum banner

Ticking comig from Engine at Idle

9K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  doughy 
#1 ·
Hello,
Newmember here so please go easy. Just got my Titan last Friday and love the truck. My only concern at this point is that after 100miles I'm now hearing a ticking sound coming from the engine near where the valves and liftes should be. Saw on an earlier post that someone had mention the same noise, but nobody seemed to have an answer? If anyone could please enlighten me that would be most helpful. :computern

#2 ·
It's hard to say exactly what it could be without hearing it myself. It could be lifter tick, sure. It could also be a small exhaust leak, it could be belts on the pully system. If you can isolate it to the valvetrain area under the valve covers, you might wheel it into the dealer to get a confirmation.

AirMech said:
Hello,
Newmember here so please go easy. Just got my Titan last Friday and love the truck. My only concern at this point is that after 100miles I'm now hearing a ticking sound coming from the engine near where the valves and liftes should be. Saw on an earlier post that someone had mention the same noise, but nobody seemed to have an answer? If anyone could please enlighten me that would be most helpful. :computern

#3 ·
AirMech said:
Hello,
I have noticed the same on mine. I hear it when I am in the cab, but I do not when I am standing outside listening for it. Hopefully this is just the sound of a strong motor, gotta remember there are 4 valves / cyl.

Right now the only minor concern I have is with the exhaust heat shield under the passenger side is a little loose and vibrates when I am accelerating, atleast that is what it sounds like.
I will be taking it in to the DLR here soon, I just hate to part with it.

My 98 Sonoma Stock muffler had a heat shield that did the same thing. Cut it off and the problem went away.

#4 ·
I am still hearing it as well. Its definitely coming from under the valve cover area. I am at 1000 miles and will be taking it to the dealer at the end of the week for an oil change so I'll ask about it then. I do not seem to be having any loss of power or anything though. I would reccomend calling Nissan and registering the complaint. The more they hear about it, the more likely it will get quick attention. 1-800-Nissan1

I also have a loose heatshield. The dealer will be tightening that up for me too.

You may want to also check your tire pressure. It seems Nissan shipped the Titan with 44 PSi in the tires. They are rated for this, but the manual reccomends 35 PSI for the Titan.

Cheers,
Jeremy

#5 ·
Tick coming from engine idle

LoadmasterC141 said:
I am still hearing it as well. Its definitely coming from under the valve cover area. I am at 1000 miles and will be taking it to the dealer at the end of the week for an oil change so I'll ask about it then. I do not seem to be having any loss of power or anything though. I would reccomend calling Nissan and registering the complaint. The more they hear about it, the more likely it will get quick attention. 1-800-Nissan1

I also have a loose heatshield. The dealer will be tightening that up for me too.

You may want to also check your tire pressure. It seems Nissan shipped the Titan with 44 PSi in the tires. They are rated for this, but the manual reccomends 35 PSI for the Titan.

Cheers,
Jeremy
Hi Jeremy

I found out that Nissan puts 44 PSI in the tires to stop the vehicle from bouncing on the "mobile parking lot" when being shipped. Just came in, my King Cab LE arrived today.

Smoke
4x4
Big tow pkg
Air bag pkg
Running boards
Fosgate 6 changer 350 watt
Gated Shifter
Leather Captains chairs heated
Utilitrac system
Sprayed in bed liner
Fog lamps
Daytime running lamps etc etc I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Campsmoke :rollingsm

#6 ·
campsmoke said:
Hi Jeremy

I found out that Nissan puts 44 PSI in the tires to stop the vehicle from bouncing on the "mobile parking lot" when being shipped. Just came in, my King Cab LE arrived today.

More air equals LESS bounce? :confused:

#7 ·
campsmoke said:
Hi Jeremy

Smoke
4x4
Big tow pkg
Air bag pkg
Running boards
Fosgate 6 changer 350 watt
Gated Shifter
Leather Captains chairs heated
Utilitrac system
Sprayed in bed liner
Fog lamps
Daytime running lamps etc etc I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info Camp. Your new truck specs look awesome! I was gonna hold out and save money for the LE, but I was too damn eager! I figure I'll keep this one for a few years and then get an LE.
Cheers,
Jeremy

#9 ·
Firmer means more rigid to me. Since I let my tire pressure down to 35 it actually seems to ride smoother IMO.

campsmoke said:
Well if you increase tire pressure you get a firmer ride,right? Soooooo, by inflating to 44PSI when shipping you get less "bounce", "movement", "shake" see where I'm going?

Have a good one, and hope you get your truck soon!

Campsmoke :cheers:

#10 ·
Thinking more about this tick....
I stopped by my mechanic to have him work on my other vehicle and asked him what he thought about the ticking noise. He said it sounds more like injectors than lifters and that this noise has appeared on others cars when they are new. He thinks it will dissipate as the injectors wear in. More to come when I take the Titan in for its first oil change at the dealership

#12 ·
for the umpteenth time. The engine in your Titan has NO lifters. The design uses overhead camshafts, this positions the cam on top of the valve, with an adjustment shim between the camshaft and the valve stem. It is IMPOSSIBLE to have "lifter noise". What we are all hearing is injectors opening and closing. Welcome to the modern engine. This ain't no steel pushrod pre-war engine. Relax, the noise is totally normal. The fact that the thing runs so quiet and smooth is to be credited for why you hear the ticking in the first place.

#13 ·
Good call, Skip. I didn't even think about that.

Skip Hess said:
for the umpteenth time. The engine in your Titan has NO lifters. The design uses overhead camshafts, this positions the cam on top of the valve, with an adjustment shim between the camshaft and the valve stem. It is IMPOSSIBLE to have "lifter noise". What we are all hearing is injectors opening and closing. Welcome to the modern engine. This ain't no steel pushrod pre-war engine. Relax, the noise is totally normal. The fact that the thing runs so quiet and smooth is to be credited for why you hear the ticking in the first place.

#15 ·
Well I'll be a ..............(finish with own thought)

Skip, .........THANK YOU. After reading your reply, It all sorta just makes sense. I guess I'm just stuck in the stone-age, but if anything it's taking alot of worry that's been on my mind and allows me to enjoy my Titan even more.

:jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

#16 ·
Skip Hess said:
As the panic was setting in about my newly ordered Titan and the potential for ticking, along came your posting explaining it away. Thank goodness! You see, this is how mass hysteria starts.

#17 ·
ticking

I also have ticking, mine starts after its been running for a while. Called the dealer they say another titan was in with the problem. Their solution was an oil change saying the break in oil was the problem. I will see if this resolves, i had a hard time thinking that it was injectors. Also you would think that a modern engine would be smoother and quieter not louder than old fashioned engines. Hope this works cause i really love the truck. Also have some paint problems where the protective film would have been on roof. Hopefully we will all have good experiences once the bugs are gone.

#18 ·
ty guys, titantalk rocks! i let 9 pounds out my tires and could tell the softer ride almost immediatly, especially on the highway.

#19 ·
bighawaii said:
ty guys, titantalk rocks! i let 9 pounds out my tires and could tell the softer ride almost immediatly, especially on the highway.
Tire pressure can do a lot. In racing, 1lb of pressure can mean a HUGE differnece in how the suspension performs. Now the BFG tires on a Titan are not race tires, but 9 lbs is quite a change, and you should notice a differnece. Another tribute to the Titan engineers that built the suspension on these things. Also, if you ever off-road in sand or soft dirt, go ahead and let some air out, you will be amazed at the increase in traction/floatation the truck will have. Just remember to have an airsource available to pump the tires back up before you hit the highway. I like the CO2 bottles (see http://www.airzonetents.com/mbk-6portableco2.htm).

#20 ·
for the umpteenth time. The engine in your Titan has NO lifters. The design uses overhead camshafts, this positions the cam on top of the valve, with an adjustment shim between the camshaft and the valve stem. It is IMPOSSIBLE to have "lifter noise".
There are no "lifters", but cam followers in SOHC and DOHC motors can and do make noise. Technically it's not "lifter noise," but it can manifest itself as a ticking sound.

#21 ·
AirMech said:
Hello,
Dont Fuel injectors make a clicking noise these days as they distribute the fuel into the cylinders?

#22 ·
engine tick

ttz32 said:
It's hard to say exactly what it could be without hearing it myself. It could be lifter tick, sure. It could also be a small exhaust leak, it could be belts on the pully system. If you can isolate it to the valvetrain area under the valve covers, you might wheel it into the dealer to get a confirmation.
does it go away in a few minutes when oil reaches the lifters?

#23 ·
ticking

Well heres the good (bad news). The ticking is coming from the purge volume control valve. The bad news is its currently "under investigation by nissan engineers on how to find a way to make operation of valve quieter. So i guess i am glad its nothing malfunctioning ( although the sound of it counts as a malfunction in my book). Just thought i would let everyone in on the tick, hopefully it will be a quick investigation by the engineers.

#24 ·
tic tic tic

2.5 wk old TITAN owner and my face is killing me from my ear to ear grin. my engine ticks also but still prefroms great. so this sweet ride has a great warrenty if it breaks they'll fix it . by the way this truck has great breaks I'm in rush hour traffic doing about 45 car in front of me STOPS I jam the b peddel and I thought I was going to go thru the windsheild this thing went from 45 to 0 in about 35 ft or so it seemed which is way better then the f150 iI drove for 3 yrs.

#25 ·
I had the same problem (purge volume control valve) with a 99 KC 4x4 Frontier. They found the problem and replaced that part of ther EVAP system. Now I am hearing the same type of ticking (not all the time) in my 2002 Frontier CC SE 4x4. There is a NTSB out on EVAP purge valve and tubing for the Frontiers. They have a kit to replace the noisey one.

#26 ·
TitanGuy1

When I first got my Titan in December some d!ckhe@d pulled out in from of me doing 5 MPH while I was doing 50. I nailed the brakes! The combo of the ABS and the tires made the most awesome sound!! I stopped so short that I looked stupid. I was very impressed.

Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.