Nissan Titan Forum banner

Tie rods hitting Bilsteins coil mount?

6K views 47 replies 8 participants last post by  avmaldo 
#1 · (Edited)
I was checking out how everything was and noticed that the passenger side the coil mount has a scrape like if the tie rod is hitting it. The driver side has a very small one but also noticed that the coil and coil mounts are opposite as you can see in the pictures. On the passenger side the end of the springs is toward the front. the one the driver side it's toward the center of the truck. Does it matter which way that goes? I don't remember seeing anything about that. I'm guessing it does because it's hitting more on one side.
Passenger side

But as you can see there's a good gap between the tie rod and the shock coil mount so I don't understand.

This is the driver side

See less See more
#2 ·
When you turn the wheel clearances change. Did you happen to switch the passenger side tie rod to the driver side and vice versa when you installed the lift kit?

Did you install the bilsteins with the coils in the correct direction as directed on the write ups on here?

Those two things are the only issues it should be since 100's of guys run the same setup as you.

#3 ·
I bought the truck lifted but saw online that you need to switch tie rods to the opposite side. So when I put the new ones on the right went on the left and left on the right. This is the correct way isn't it?

I don't remember reading anything about how the coils went. Just that make sure you got the washer, bushings setup up correctly. So what way are they supposed to go? How are your facing? Now I'm really confused. I just read over the 5100 tips thread but I don't understand what he means on how the coils go.

#4 ·
The coils were they are the most separate goes on the bottom and the part that is closer and flatter is the top?

But then which way does the end of the coil spring/coil mount point? I didn't realize it had to go a certain way.

#42 ·
The bottom has a seat built into the perch. Take a look. Should be obvious.

#5 ·
The coils were they are the most separate goes on the bottom and the part that is closer and flatter is the top?

But then which way does the end of the coil spring/coil mount point? I didn't realize it had to go a certain way.

#6 ·
the last coil where the plastic cover is supposed to either face in towards the motor or away from the motor. i forget which way. lol. You might need to do a little research on it, I believe on my 06 i put a punch through the bottom of the shock and twisted it the right way. Not sure if that was good for the shock or not lol.

#7 · (Edited)
Can you check how yours are facing? Lol I'm guessing the end of the coil have to face inward towards motor for me since the side that is getting scraped is facing outwards. Maybe it's year dependent? Cause one of the install threads on here where it shows the actual finished picture shows the coil end facing rearward towards the back of the truck or towards the motor can't really tell. But idk what year his is. And mine is hitting that way.

Here's one of the threads i used.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...on.html#/forumsite/20504/topics/130283?page=1

#8 ·
I am running fox 2.5 coilovers. haven't ran bilsteins in about a year.

#9 ·
Ah nice. Dammit.. hopefully someone chimes in soon with the same setup. Don't want to damage the shock or the coil mount.

#10 ·
Buummpppp

No one knows which way the coils go while assembling and which way the end of the coil should face?

#12 ·
So the end of your coil and the step in the coil mount are facing towards the motor? I need to figure this out before the weekend since I'm going to be tackling my uppers when they come in and wanna solve this. Could this be why maybe my uppers are at such a bad angle? I'm hoping the rc uca's help my issue.

#13 ·
Hmm just found this on the bilstein website. If I'm understanding it right the end of coil should face towards the outside/toward the tire ? According to them. Also I had mechanic friend help with the compressing coils and like I said earlier there's a way they go top to bottom too. I'm pretty sure we got that part right but now I'm a have to make sure.

I'm also debating dropping it from middle to lowest setting but everywhere I read online says the setting on the shock does not contribute to cbc so I might just leave as is unless there's a decent change in ride. Hmm decisions decisions.

#14 ·
I know they say it doesn't contribute, but it does. Its not letting the truck settle as much, so its keeping the UCA closer to the coil bucket. If it lifts the truck it changes where the UCA is relative to the coil bucket.

At least thats how I've always thought

#15 ·
Damn so much conflicting info. I mean there's others running the same exact setup with the middle setting and 08 4x4 coils. Since I have to compress the coils to align them correctly I want to figure out if I can stay at the middle notch and run rc uppers and have no more problems. If not drop down to lowest setting. Just sucks cause I like the height I got. How much height will I loose going to lowest? I also left off the swaybar will the lowest setting be too soft to still run no swaybar?

#17 ·
Myn face out the same as yours and I have no issues.
I also never swapped my tie rods around. They don't rub anything

Reactions: honda250xtitan
#18 ·
Are you bracket lifted? The instructions for the procomp require you to swap the tie rods. As for your bilsteins thats weird. For just replacing worn out shocks to quality ones it's turning into a headache. I'm hoping the occasional squeak and creak I hear is the upper a arm/joints and not the shocks. I followed the bushing/washers instructions to a tee so that for sure is correct I took my time with that part and kept looking over the install thread pics. I might buy some tubing to replace the coil spring lower bushing since they're pretty worn out since I'm going to be compressing the coils to face them the way bilsteins recommends. and to decide if I should drop to lowest setting but not sure if I'll get more roll since I went no sway bar. RC arms should be coming tomorrow.

#19 ·
Naw I just have a 1.5" spacer 5100 on mid setting. I didn't know if you had a bracket lift just thought I'd state that myn faced that way. It was the only way they would face with the spacer ontop.

#20 ·
Ah the joys of bilsteins. Good luck!

#21 ·
Why do you say that ? Lol

#23 ·
Haha I hope I don't have too.
I put them together correctly I'm pretty sure on that. What problems were you having that you took them apart that many times lol I just want to know what way the end of the coil on the bottom faces. In or out. There's dozens of us running 5100's with bracket lifts and they haven't even chimed in lol come on guys ! It's a titan community help me out lol

#24 ·
First I had them too high. Then I moved them down. Then I blew them out off roading too hard. Then I warranty replaced them. Then I lowered them all the way and put a spacer on cus I still wasn't happy with the ride quality. Then I decided I wanted to continue my fast and hard off-road lifestyle lol. So I took them off to put on my foxes but one was leaking so I had to put the bils back. Then I finally got the foxes in. Then I put a 1" spacer on top of the foxes.

I think it takes me about 15 minutes to get my front shocks off now lol.

Reactions: honda250xtitan
#25 ·
Lmao! DAMN! Hahahaha. Well at least they have good warranty lol

So you're not bracket lifted right? You got the normal length fox coil overs?

You wouldn't remember which way you faced the end of the coil would you lol pics of your bilstein setup if you have any

#27 ·
Honestly I'm not sure how much a difference the clocking of the coil actually makes

#28 ·
Damn for the bilstein picture there almost in same position wth?!?! Why are mine hitting? I noticed in the old pic the stock struts face the end of the coil out.. this is frustrating. Your inner tie roda look lower than mine but I'm sure that's because Im lifted higher..

When you swap the tie rods, are you still suppose to install the same way as oem? As in nut goes on top and studo in through the bottom? Or nut on the bottom and stud through the top? Cause mine are stud through the top nut on the bottom..

#30 ·
I think you've got the right idea. From your pics it looks like the tie rod would clear the spring seat and be below it if you move the tie rod ball joint stud to the bottom side of the spindle interface. Mine is set up this way.

#29 · (Edited)
I think I eff'd up with the tie rod thing, had a brain fart and this I mis understood. Do you actually literally swap the tie rods to opposite sides when lifted? Cause I've been reading up on here and from my understanding you keep the left on the left side and the right on the right side but you just flip them not swap them. Am I right? Cause if so that might be why my tie rod scraped the shock perch.

#31 ·
Just don't know if I can run them that way since I'm bracket lifted.

Some one with bracket lift chime in! Help! Lol I'm scratching my head at this and I'm sure it's simple.

#32 ·
Here's a picture for reference. This is me turning practically full lock. See how it hits. I don't understand. Recap: I have a 6" bracket lift, 5100's middle perch 084x4 coils and those are moog tie rod ends. They are flipped and are swapped to opposite sides per procomps install instructions. Any ideas?

#33 ·
Only thing I can think of is unflipping them like how they are OEM go from the bottom up. I think the tie rods will end up under the coil mount..BUT the tie rod would be at a bad angle no? Does it matter? I have 20" wheels by they way. I know the tie rods are flipped to go through the top for smaller wheel reasons. What do you guys think? Help a titan brother out!

#34 ·
From that pick it looks like the bend in the tie rod would clear if it were in the opposite direction. Maybe keep it on top of the spindle mount and swap passenger and driver sides?

Reactions: berto07T
#35 ·
Alright so I swapped from side to side but kept them flipped(on top of the spindle) so now the bend faces the front of the truck. It clears the coils now. The straight part of the tie rod is still pretty close but doesn't look like it can't hit cause those parts don't move foward or backwards. But we'll see when I do some little trails. The good thing is I have 20's or else the bend that's now facing foward would hit the rim for sure. But time will tell.

Thanks avmaldo for helping me out especially since your not bracket lifted.. guess I'm the only one lifted in this forum since no one else with lifted t's chimed in lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.