Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 se 4x4 gas engine with 197k on it, it smokes on start-up, and sometimes even blows white smoke the entire time its on, that smoke smells like antifreeze, start-up smoke smells like burnt oil. Engines burned oil since 163k, starting to get codes for multiple cylinder misfire, cylinder 5 misfire, both cats, camshaft position sensor, sometimes it wont start unless I'm real nice to her. Time for a new engine? already replaced my tranny at 180k, and suspension/lift kit put on at 190k, thinking about going with a remanned engine with a warrenty. While everything is out i was thinking about throwing on some jba longtubes since rumor has it our stock ones crack bad. Whats a good price on a remann and install, or where could i find a quality used one? How much should i look at getting charged from a shop? I don't know much about engines so any help is appreciated. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
232 Posts
It is very possible the primary cats have broken down and drifted into the cylinder or cylinders causing permanent damage. Personally I would do a compression check on all cylinders before calling the engine quits. Sometimes smoke on start up is caused by bad pcv valves. Definitely worth a shot and you can rent a compression tester from just about any auto parts store. I would start there and then start looking for a new engine upon diagnosis.

Here is some #'s I found you should be looking at for a compression test

Compression pressure kPa (kg/cm2 , psi)/ rpm
-Standard 1,520 (15.5, 220) 200
-Minimum 1,324 (13.5, 192) 200
Differential limit between cylinders 98 (1.0, 14) 300

Reactions: nightowl

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
It is possible that you have a cracked head or blown head gasket, which can often result in coolant getting to your spark plugs, hence the misfires. I would start by pulling your plugs and inspecting them. If there is a white crusty looking buildup on them, then you can assume you have coolant leaking. And as presiously mentioned, do a compression check.

Reactions: nightowl

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
Cats are notrious for failing usually around the 90-130k mile mark on most. The broken cat particles can be sucked back in the last 2 cylinders on each side causing ring failure. The manifold problem is so bad I have made a business out of it. Cajun Bpipes | shreveport, LA 71129

1 - 4 of 4 Posts