Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have had this exhaust set-up for a while and I have been somewhat satisfied.

Truck is a 2006 CC LE 2WD, First thing I did was have the front resonators removed and a straight pipe welded in. The stock cats are still in place, then I swapped in a good sized Magnaflow muffler, I done some research on this site and found out a certain muffler was pretty much a factory direct swap in. So thats what I done then added a 4" rolled tip. Sounds is good, but im after something a little more agressive now days. I dunno, but I swear the exhuast is getting more quiet. But just when im thinking that, I get on it somewhere and it gets louder again. But its still not loud enough for me.

Anyways, when I had my Mustang GT I had a Magnaflow Mackpack cat-back installed. Sounded insane without cats on it and I loved it. SO Im thinking about swapping in the same mufflers and doing a dual out and ditching the huge muffler with a single outlet.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Alright, I have had this exhaust set-up for a while and I have been somewhat satisfied.

Truck is a 2006 CC LE 2WD, First thing I did was have the front resonators removed and a straight pipe welded in. The stock cats are still in place, then I swapped in a good sized Magnaflow muffler, I done some research on this site and found out a certain muffler was pretty much a factory direct swap in. So thats what I done then added a 4" rolled tip. Sounds is good, but im after something a little more agressive now days. I dunno, but I swear the exhuast is getting more quiet. But just when im thinking that, I get on it somewhere and it gets louder again. But its still not loud enough for me.

Anyways, when I had my Mustang GT I had a Magnaflow Mackpack cat-back installed. Sounded insane without cats on it and I loved it. SO Im thinking about swapping in the same mufflers and doing a dual out and ditching the huge muffler with a single outlet.
Swap that magnaflow for a bullet. My bullet is a 3" Single in/Single out. I'll trade you straight up if you maggy is 3" Si/So. Let me know.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant remember exactly what the muffler is, I know it was a bit pricey when I got it. I do what to say its a 3in with offset, but I will double check....

The mufflers im interested in are the Magnaflow part # 11216 which is a 4x9x14" round style muffler. I think I will get 2 of them and then get the duals installed from there.

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
You will hate it. It will rasp and pop like a redneck truck. Don't say none of us warned you if you waste money and do it and then hate it. The VK56 is a very sensitive engine to rasp. Only a big Magnaflow, 50 series or bigger Flowmaster or Aerochamber will toss out the pop/rasp.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even with the cats still in place it will be that loud? I have heard them around town with nothing but straight pipes and they actually dont sound bad till the driver gets on the throttle pretty good.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Even with the cats still in place it will be that loud? I have heard them around town with nothing but straight pipes and they actually dont sound bad till the driver gets on the throttle pretty good.
Loud isn't the problem....it's that most likely with a smaller magnaflow like that, you will have tons of rasp and pop like toughtitan mentioned. it takes either a huge magnaflow or a chambered muffler to cover that up in my experience..especially with only two cats.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish I could hear one, then I would know what direction I want to take...There for a while I thought about going with a Spintech set-up, but that is just too pricey for what you get. I like Magnaflow cause there products are all Stainless Steel and if you buy from somewhere like Complete Exhaust and call the guy you get a smokin good deal.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I wish I could hear one, then I would know what direction I want to take...There for a while I thought about going with a Spintech set-up, but that is just too pricey for what you get. I like Magnaflow cause there products are all Stainless Steel and if you buy from somewhere like Complete Exhaust and call the guy you get a smokin good deal.
magnaflow makes a quality product, no doubt...they just don't sound right on a Titan IMO. I went from the 18" dual/single with cats (sounded good, just not loud enough) to the same muffler and removing the rear cats (sounded like complete crap, like a 76 Ford with an exhaust leak) to a 22" dual/single with no rear cats (sounded alright, quiet until you stomped it, then CIS sound) to a 2 chamber Flowmaster style muffler and there's still SOME popping, but it's a different kind (not near as bad) and it's only when cold...

without rear cats or resonators, it's gonna be tricky finding a smooth sounding AND loud exhaust, it was for me anyway....still not "smooth" really, just much better than the magnaflows were. it's something that you will probably not even notice from inside with the windows up, but if you hit the gas even a little then everyone else around will hear it and think you have an exhaust leak..and I'm betting it would be even worse with those 14" ones you mentioned since they're shorter....i babied my truck leaving work everyday so no one would hear it, once warmed up it got better but was still embarassing.

I'm thinking about switching to the 50 series Flowmaster dual/dual myself just to further smooth out my sound...but I've spent enough money trying to find the sound I want so it's hard to bring myself to spend MORE money on it.:crying:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
right now my truck has all 4 cats and no muffler or tailpipe exits right under the cab where my mbrp butted up to it. i must say it is hilariousss. When you get on it it sounds like an 85 gmc with 2.25" pipes thwappin all over the place i love it. Up to like 2200rpm its throaty no pop and sounds sick. I just got in a cherrybomb 8" glasspack and will be fabbing up that bad boy to run that, then a 60 degree bend, then a y pipe, then twin pipes out in front of the rear tire. gonna be abnoxiously loud. i love starting it up now that first rpm kick screams then she settles down to idle. I did like my mbrp alot, it was a flow thru design sounded awesome, plenty loud, its just my buddy put the 8" cherry bomb on his 5.2 ram and im not to be outdone..

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Think im might try some of the Spintech Pro Street mufflers...Not as loud as the super pro streets, but should still have a good agressive chambered sound. Then if I have too I will put on a set of Resonated tips to calm down any popping and non-sense. I just hate to spend $85 on those mufflers when they have a bad history of quickly rusting out. Maybe I can figure out a way to coat them in a powder coating or POR15 to make them last forever.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Think im might try some of the Spintech Pro Street mufflers...Not as loud as the super pro streets, but should still have a good agressive chambered sound. Then if I have too I will put on a set of Resonated tips to calm down any popping and non-sense. I just hate to spend $85 on those mufflers when they have a bad history of quickly rusting out. Maybe I can figure out a way to coat them in a powder coating or POR15 to make them last forever.
I thought about some spintechs too...how long does it take for mufflers to rust out? I usually don't keep a truck more than a few years anyway, so that's never been a concern of mine.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I just noticed that you said you had a mustang and liked the way it sounded...just for fun, watch the video in my sig for a comparison of mine and a 4.6GT

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Check out my bullet link in my sig:) toughtitan hates it but he doesn't know anything. LOL hahaahahahahahaha

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
If you want chambered, then get an Aerochamber like I mentioned. Cheaper, built to last and sounds better.......not to mention makes more power to boot.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
my aerochamber on my 5.2 dakota sounds perfect. excellent muffler. i love my hooker

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought about some spintechs too...how long does it take for mufflers to rust out? I usually don't keep a truck more than a few years anyway, so that's never been a concern of mine.
In reality it depends on where the vehicle is driven...

If you live int he north where you get snow, and then the roads are salted. Your muffler would be toast in just a year or 2. Simply because Spintech is not stainless, its aluminized which is easily rusted away with little effort from mother nature. THey offer a stainless steel upgrade for $70 a muffler which is just non-sense to me. I work with metal everyday and I know the prices of the materials and it doesnt cost anywhere near $150 to make those mufflers.

If you live in the south the aluminized will last a good while, you could probably count on 4+ years without much hassle. To extend the life in both areas you could do the ceapo exhaust high-temp coating deal sold in a aresol can at most auto parts stores. I have used it in the past with mixed success, usually you end up putting it on thin in one location and that where you have problems. Flowmasters are the same way, they are aluminzied and easily rusted out in now time.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just noticed that you said you had a mustang and liked the way it sounded...just for fun, watch the video in my sig for a comparison of mine and a 4.6GT
That sounds pretty much awesome and exactly what im looking for...Where do I get those mufflers?

Also my Stang was an 03 GT, but it had Mac long tubes and no cats. So the flows on it was pretty much insane, but it sounded so damn good. I wouldnt want to imagine that sysem on my truck...:ftard:

·
Registered
423 Posts
That sounds pretty much awesome and exactly what im looking for...Where do I get those mufflers?

Also my Stang was an 03 GT, but it had Mac long tubes and no cats. So the flows on it was pretty much insane, but it sounded so damn good. I wouldnt want to imagine that sysem on my truck...:ftard:
The exact muffler I have----> Performance muffler 2 CHAMBER 2 1/2" dual in & out USA - eBay (item 250746808457 end time Jan-23-11 05:11:16 PST)

from the manifolds back I have: stock cats>removed rear cats>dual factory pipe into the muffler>dual 2.25" pipe out the back with 4" slant cut tips

admittedly not the best sounding setup, but for around $175 total including pipe, tips, and muffler it ain't bad.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Man, that sounds like a good deal to me...The tips I want are only $65 for 2 on ebay and they are 4 x 18 rolled cut. Then I would just get it installed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't know what your budget it, but I have the Stillen dual side exit catback. I think it sounds GREAT! No rasp, and very (and I mean VERY) little drone around 2k-2.5k rpm if I remember right. It sounds aggresive when driving around and really opens up when you get on it. The rest of my exhaust is stock. If I were to put headers on and change some of the cats or get rid of a set, it may be too loud! Anyways if the catback is within your budget check it out! I wouldn't change it for anything.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts