Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am close to changing my oil and i have hit the 45K mark. I was wondering what type of oil & filter is everyone using?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Back when I had the Titan I always used Mobil 1 5W-30 and it always ran strong, OEM oil filter. Turns out the Titan and the 4cyl Altima engine uses the same oil filter, couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I use Mobil1 synthetic 5W30....

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what filters are you using with the mobil 1?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I usually just put on a Fram but I have heard that they have poor internals - It's hard to go wrong with the factory filter!

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
I use Mobil one fluids and my filter is a K&N oil filter. Great filter, but a bit too pricey for those who think "it's just an oil filter." I love for a few reasons, the nut welded on the end makes it alot easier to remove, no back drain of used oil during startup, wire holes in case its mandated at your local dragstrip.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
roy365 said:
I use Mobil one fluids and my filter is a K&N oil filter. Great filter, but a bit too pricey for those who think "it's just an oil filter." I love for a few reasons, the nut welded on the end makes it alot easier to remove, no back drain of used oil during startup, wire holes in case its mandated at your local dragstrip.

how long does the K&N last? i was thinking about going with it. I have a good friend in the automotive parts business that can get me a good deal (usually 5% above his cost) for automotive parts like that.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
HawaiiTitan said:
Back when I had the Titan I always used Mobil 1 5W-30 and it always ran strong, OEM oil filter. Turns out the Titan and the 4cyl Altima engine uses the same oil filter, couldn't believe it.
Honda civic too... I was a ashamed when I found that out.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
oh, I use Either Mobil one or Napa Gold/WIX filters.
I used to use K&N for the reasons that Roy listed.

I stick to the dino juice truck is still a baby, Pennzoil 5W30

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I've always used Purolator filters. They tested near the top against most others. Stay away from Fram though. They were at the bottom of the heap. 5W30 Mobil1 is all I'll use in any vehicle.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Napa gold filter and M1 truck and suv.

·
Registered
321 Posts
HawaiiTitan said:
Always just got the OEM oil filters from the dealership.
90% of the time, the dealer buys in bulk from the lowest $$$$ vendor. So, just cause it says Nissan (or Mopar, or TRD or Nismo...whatever) it's still probably a FRAM (or cheap equivelent) on the inside.

Spend the extra couple bucks once every 3-5K miles on a quality K&N filter.

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
Onebadasstitan said:
how long does the K&N last? i was thinking about going with it. I have a good friend in the automotive parts business that can get me a good deal (usually 5% above his cost) for automotive parts like that.
Not sure how to answer. I change every 3-5K depending how the conditions have been. And i change the oil filter each time.I buy my filters in bulk from www.truckperformance.com. There is a reuseable product somewhere out there......but whats the use???

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bestatchess said:
An oil change after only 45K miles? Is that really necessary? :jester:

sorry i meant my truck has 45k on it and i want to switch oil to help prolong the engine. i change oil every 3k.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
I've always used Purolator filters. They tested near the top against most others. Stay away from Fram though. They were at the bottom of the heap. 5W30 Mobil1 is all I'll use in any vehicle.
If you look at the poll numbers here it's truely amazing how many people will spend 38K on a truck and then go to Wal-Mart and buy a $2.50 oil filter when they have been proved by several test to be junk.
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tita...t+brand+filter

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
If you got it use it. The Mobil clean is not a synthetic oil. It would be the same as using any other dino oil. It would not hurt a thing to run it 5k. I would use it if I didn't need the cold start up protection.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
TYTAIN said:
If you look at the poll numbers here it's truely amazing how many people will spend 38K on a truck and then go to Wal-Mart and buy a $2.50 oil filter when they have been proved by several test to be junk.
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tita...t+brand+filter
I know. All will work but, drainback valves made with cardboard?...only if you like to hear an oil starvation tap at start-up. No Fram for my vehicles.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts