Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick overview:
I have a 2009 SE 4-wheel drive model with around 135k miles. Mostly factory suspension except for a PRG 1" leveling kit and a set of 305/65/18 Nitto Terra Grappler G2s. I've noticed the overall ride quality has diminished over the past 12 months. The factory shocks or struts have never been replaced - I can only assume that its shock, struts, or both? Lot of knocking when I go over bumps -- almost sounds like a bushing or something is shot.

I'm not a mechanic by no means but know enough to get by, however most work on the truck is done by a seasoned professional. Greg at PRG told me on the phone when I ordered the leveling kit that the shocks are probably going to need to be replaced soon based on my mileage (that was about a year ago). Regardless if its shocks, or struts, I'm trying to weigh out my options. I've wanted to increase the ride height for a while now and can't help to wonder - if I'm going to put money into new shocks/struts, do I spend extra for a lift? What's the ballpark difference in how much that would cost vs just replacing parts that are worn out..is it the difference be a couple hundred or several hundred? I'd like to get around 3 or 4" in overall lift.

Hopefully that makes sense...just trying to get some input from others in the Titan world so I don't make a costly mistake.

·
Registered
919 Posts
With being 4x4, I've been told on here that about 3" is as high as you can go without putting too much stress on CV joints. After that it's a bracket lift. You could keep your spacer and put a set of bilstien 5100's on middle perch would give you approximately 2.5" of lift. You would also have to get aftermarket UCA's (rough country, dirt king, or prg). Then get a block in the back to level it off some. If you stick with bilstien in the back if you put more than a 1" block back there you would need 5125's.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
rear 5100s will work with a 1.5" rear block. have that exact setup. although 5125 would be better

·
Registered
167 Posts
New shocks will be a few hundred. A lift for 4wd will be at least $1,000 so there's a huge difference.

A couple options for new shocks:
- Bilstein 5100: this is the popular choice for our truck. The ride height is adjustable from .5" to 1.5" over stock. If you used these with the leveling spacer and got a bigger block for the rear leaf springs this would give you a little more height but only a couple of inches. The other thing about the 5100s is that they don't come as a strut assembly, you're buying the shock by itself. Meaning you have to take the spring off of your old shocks and put them on the new ones. This can be tough (not impossible) if you don't have the right tools.
- OEM struts: these are around the same price as the 5100 shocks, but you wouldn't have to worry about changing over the spring. These would be the easiest to change yourself but it would leave you at the leveled height you're at now.

Dudes - check my info and correct me if I'm wrong anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New shocks will be a few hundred. A lift for 4wd will be at least $1,000 so there's a huge difference.

A couple options for new shocks:
- Bilstein 5100: this is the popular choice for our truck. The ride height is adjustable from .5" to 1.5" over stock. If you used these with the leveling spacer and got a bigger block for the rear leaf springs this would give you a little more height but only a couple of inches. The other thing about the 5100s is that they don't come as a strut assembly, you're buying the shock by itself. Meaning you have to take the spring off of your old shocks and put them on the new ones. This can be tough (not impossible) if you don't have the right tools.
- OEM struts: these are around the same price as the 5100 shocks, but you wouldn't have to worry about changing over the spring. These would be the easiest to change yourself but it would leave you at the leveled height you're at now.

Dudes - check my info and correct me if I'm wrong anywhere.

Thanks for the insight.

If I went with the 5100 option and left he current spacer, what would be the maximum setting you'd recommend on the 5100? PRG says that going above the 1" setting on an 08+ 4WD model is not recommended because of ride quality -- know of anyone who has tried it? I've also heard that coil bucket contact can become an issue which is why sites like PRG suggest an after market UCA once you go beyond 1". Would I need to consider after market UCAs?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks for the insight.

If I went with the 5100 option and left he current spacer, what would be the maximum setting you'd recommend on the 5100? PRG says that going above the 1" setting on an 08+ 4WD model is not recommended because of ride quality -- know of anyone who has tried it? I've also heard that coil bucket contact can become an issue which is why sites like PRG suggest an after market UCA once you go beyond 1". Would I need to consider after market UCAs?

Other than possibly needing UCAs, going to the top perch won't hurt anything. The top perch just tends to give a rough ride. Some people don't mind it and others can't stand it. From what I've seen if you go over 1.5" it's suggested you get new UCAs - I think there's a leveling thread that gives a bunch of specs.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
keep in mind too that your springs will "probably" have some sag to it since you're at 135k. you could do with most guys i've seen is the Bilstein/Moog4x4 and eliminate the spacer. the Moog coils when i almost opted that way was around $90-100 for a set. Mike from TAP can give you a deal for the 5100's. from the 1000x of threads i've read here i've heard nobody with CBC on the middle setting. but on the top perch it was 50/50 but many have claimed the ride to be hard. here's mine with DK UCA's and you can see how much clearance you get from CBC

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
keep in mind too that your springs will "probably" have some sag to it since you're at 135k. you could do with most guys i've seen is the Bilstein/Moog4x4 and eliminate the spacer. the Moog coils when i almost opted that way was around $90-100 for a set. Mike from TAP can give you a deal for the 5100's. from the 1000x of threads i've read here i've heard nobody with CBC on the middle setting. but on the top perch it was 50/50 but many have claimed the ride to be hard. here's mine with DK UCA's and you can see how much clearance you get from CBC

I had coil bucket contact on my last 11 pro4x on the middle setting, wasn't all the time but it would hit.
I was to the understanding that Greg @ PRG sold the 5100's assembled with springs?, maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had coil bucket contact on my last 11 pro4x on the middle setting, wasn't all the time but it would hit.
I was to the understanding that Greg @ PRG sold the 5100's assembled with springs?, maybe I'm wrong.
Does not look to be the case. His photo of the 5100 and the description indicate that his do not ship with the spring:

"These shocks are sold as just the shock(no spring or upper mounts.."

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Didn't know Greg sold them together? But cool if he does.

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I've seen those! I was thinking he actually sold Bilstein/Moog4×4 assembled. This is actually a pretty good setup since really the Bilstein/Moogs was just something somebody tried and worked. Long term effects I dunno maybe someone can chime in that's had them on for a few years now? But for $600+ you might as well get some coilovers. On a budget side Bilstein/Moog are fine

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
I've seen those! I was thinking he actually sold Bilstein/Moog4×4 assembled. This is actually a pretty good setup since really the Bilstein/Moogs was just something somebody tried and worked. Long term effects I dunno maybe someone can chime in that's had them on for a few years now? But for $600+ you might as well get some coilovers. On a budget side Bilstein/Moog are fine

Yea the bilstein/moog set up is good for a budget sure but isn't recommended by Greg (PRG), doesn't come with the upgrades these do tho, the eibach springs an the hd retainer and also the top hat.
But yes for a couple hundred extra you could have something better.

·
Registered
167 Posts
While we're on the subject, would you guys put a 1" spacer on bilsteins at the top perch? Or a 1.5" spacer on bilsteins at the middle perch?

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
I'd put a spacer on the bottom perch as the bilsteins have been known bend at the eyelets. But someone with prior experience might be able to answer

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I'd put a spacer on the bottom perch as the bilsteins have been known bend at the eyelets. But someone with prior experience might be able to answer
i have mine set at middle perch. (1") and a 1.5" PRG Spacer. (2.5" total ) had to get DK arms though i had CBC. Rides great. not rough at all. would like to sit at about 3" in the front though. as i still have slight rake with a 1.5" rear block. biggest tire i can fit though is 295/60R20. about (34x11.5)

·
Registered
167 Posts
i have mine set at middle perch. (1") and a 1.5" PRG Spacer. (2.5" total ) had to get DK arms though i had CBC. Rides great. not rough at all. would like to sit at about 3" in the front though. as i still have slight rake with a 1.5" rear block. biggest tire i can fit though is 295/60R20. about (34x11.5)

I'll have to do some research to make sure the 1.5" spacer on the middle perch won't hurt anything. Last thing I need is more shock problems, after the rattling from worn out bushings.

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
These are the absolute best shocks you can put on your Titan for around $100 each....period! We sell a ton of these because they work and ride well. These shocks are sold as just the shock(no spring or upper mounts..if you have a Daystar leveling kit, you may want to buy new upper mounts from the dealer) A good spring compressor makes the job a snap. if using the acme-thread type, please use 3 instead of 2 legs, as it will make the job way easier. Sometimes the stock shock stud bolt will be seized to the shaft and cutting the nut off the end of the stock shock with a saw is easiest...this is rare but important for you or your installer to know.
These shocks offer 3 height settings...0-1-2inches of lift. On the 08+ 4wd titans we dont suggest more than the fist notch of 1", you can set it taller but the ride starts to degrade in our opinion. On any other titan, you can run them at any of the settings. Most Titans will look just a tad nose-down with these shocks installed...not quite a true level. On the 08+ 4wd, at 1" of lift the truck will look the same as the other versions on 2" lift....got it? good.
These shocks are slightly longer than stock. Bilstein made them as long as possible without any coilbucket contact, we dont suggest adding spacers, ANY SPACERS, to these unless you have aftermarket upper a-arms and then it gets pretty specific what thickness spacers can be run as well as cam bolts and endlinks. All that being said, using these shocks as they were intended requires nothing else be added.
Lots of interweb yapping about combining these shocks with the 08+ 4wd/pro4x springs....DONT! just a bunch of bad info. The reason people do that is that before the 5100 were available, we would combine the longer (but still same spring rate) 08+springs on the HD/4600 series bilstiens to get lift on the earlier trucks...alas, these shocks do what those springs did...adding the longer springs will just decrease the amount of adjustment you can get. Adding the springs or a spacer will not get you any more height unless you run the proper upper a-arms and associated hardware. If it were just that easy, we'd have offered a kit like that a long time ago.
There has been some install issues concerning the proper placement of the washers included with these shocks, the new instructions cover this. Simply, you will reuse the factory upper washer and the new bilstein washer goes "inside" the spring. it may not make a lot of sense here, but you will realize during installation. IF the new washer is used to replace the old washer, the shocks will install just fine but after a week or so the shock shaft will push through the bushing assembly resulting in no shock damping and a bunch of noise. The shock is still 100% fine but the spring will have to come off and a new washer installed...not the end of the world but a pain in the *** none the less.
We sell these as a pair for $219 shipped in the 48 states. We will also answer any questions you may have on these if you bought them trough PRG. If you decided that they were a dollar cheaper somewhere else, and are having issues, please call somewhere else for assistance. We generally have lots of these in stock, but occasionally bilstine will put these on backorder. We will call right away to let you know if they are not available. International shipping is not a problem, but you will have to pay extra for that.

Reactions: Guinness Titan

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
I'll have to do some research to make sure the 1.5" spacer on the middle perch won't hurt anything. Last thing I need is more shock problems, after the rattling from worn out bushings.

There's what you need to read, the Titan suspension god lol([email protected])

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
you wont hurt anything with the setup i listed. or any others you see people have with the 5100's on here. as long as you are under 3" of front lift anything over that will stress some parts. worst thing you'll get is coil bucket contact which you would need new UCA.
Read what Galaxy posted or search a few 5100 threads. you'll find 1.5" spacer and mid setting on 5100's is the most common used.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts