Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a set of 35's im putting on as soon as all my suspension parts are in..What i really want to know is...Do you really feel any loss of power with them. These trucks have so much that I really find it hard to believe that there would be any noticable difference.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Yes, there is a noticeable difference. When I put the stock wheels/tires back on for the wintertime, it's like a completely different vehicle, almost.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The larger the tire (times 4) the more rolling mass. This will equate to less acceleration. You will notice a difference.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how much bigger is the 35 compared to the stock..i never really measured. im guessing its not so much the height that is different but the overall size??

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Depending on which stock tire you have, it could be 2 or more inches difference in height. But another, and bigger factor will be weight. And add a lift, which creates more drag on the truck, you'll notice a loss in power, fo sho'.

Might wanna contact UpRev...

·
Registered
795 Posts
I dont know how much of a difference you'll feel as I dont know which model with what gearing you have. But on my XE I went from a 245/75/17 to a 325/60/18 and the power loss was very noticeable. Braking distance suffered a bit too but definitley not a deal breaker.

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
I went from the 245/75/17 Bridgestone stockers to LT285/70/17 BFG MTs which are approximately 14 lbs heavier per tire. The stockers were about 31.5 and the MTs are an even 33 according to BFG. Even with that small of a change I still noticed a decrease in power which I feel I got back with the K&N77 CAI. Until I got the Magnaflow, the Titan felt like it was stock as far as power is concerned.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
I got the toyo 295/70-17 mt's, and now it will downshift going up some hills that it would downshift before. I also go into a situation in some mud that it would not climb out of in 4 hi, before it would have spun all the tires easily. I had to use 4 low to get enough power to the tires to climb out.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
If you have the lower gearing of the Big Tow or Off Road pkg. the performance hit won't be as bad. But until there are aftermarket gears I won't get anything over a 34, and then pick the lightest brand if all else is similar.

Titan1080 said:
I went from the 245/75/17 Bridgestone stockers to LT285/70/17 BFG MTs which are approximately 14 lbs heavier per tire. The stockers were about 31.5 and the MTs are an even 33 according to BFG. Even with that small of a change I still noticed a decrease in power which I feel I got back with the K&N77 CAI. Until I got the Magnaflow, the Titan felt like it was stock as far as power is concerned.
Tirerack says the MTs are 50 lbs. Is that the number you have? My ATs KOs are 58lbs, in the same size. So I've considered those because of the weight savings.

helomech said:
I got the toyo 295/70-17 mt's, and now it will downshift going up some hills that it would downshift before. I also go into a situation in some mud that it would not climb out of in 4 hi, before it would have spun all the tires easily. I had to use 4 low to get enough power to the tires to climb out.
Darnit! I see that you have the lower gearing. That's the other tire I'm considering .... I estimate them at about 75lbs. I found them on the Canadian Toyo site where they didn't have the weight listed.

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
NorCal 4x4 said:
Darnit! I see that you have the lower gearing. That's the other tire I'm considering .... I estimate them at about 75lbs. I found them on the Canadian Toyo site where they didn't have the weight listed.
They are real heavy, but I don't know the actual weight. I know it makes it alot harder to rotate the tires.

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
NorCal 4x4 said:
Tirerack says the MTs are 50 lbs. Is that the number you have? My ATs KOs are 58lbs, in the same size. So I've considered those because of the weight savings.
That doesn't surprise me that the MT is lighter than the AT. Consider the fact that the MT has a higher void to tread ratio than the AT, less rubber = less weight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts