Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying the bridgestone dueler revos tires P285 70 R17 but I am interested in if they perform well in snow and on ice. Does anyone out their have any experience?
rich

·
Registered
830 Posts
richard said:
I am thinking about buying the bridgestone dueler revos tires P285 70 R17 but I am interested in if they perform well in snow and on ice. Does anyone out their have any experience?
rich
I have about 1000 miles on the Revos. I can't speak for the snow and ice but on wet roads the performance is much better than the Rugged Trails. Tire Rack has some good reviews and ratings on the Revos. If their "survey" numbers are to be believed, the Revos are virtually at the top for many of the categorys. I did not like the snow traction of the Rugged Trails and I'm hoping the Revos will be better.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had the REVO's on my Pathfinder they are a great tire, if you're happy with staying with the stock size there is no better AT tire on the market. I need tires too my problem is I really want to go BIGGER, I'm keeping the stock rim and am thinking about either Cooper ATR's in the 315/70 R17 or Mastercraft Courser AT2's in the same size. The problem is that the REVO's are such good tires I'm not sure I can justify the $200 extra for 1.5 inch bigger diameter tires.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
I had them on my 2002 durango, the best tire that I ever had. Great in the snow and driveing in heavy rain.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys for all the input-I drive in northern canada-up here the temperature can reach up to -40 F and the snow actually packs into ice which stays on the road for months during the winter-I wonder if there are any canadians out there who have any experience with this on the Bridgestone Revos.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
I'm wondering if you would not be better with something like the Blizzack tires, specially made for just what you describe......

But if you don't want snow-specialized tires, I just ordered the Pirelli Scorpion ATR from Tirerack. They are rated higher than the Revos in all the categories, expecially the ice/snow categories. Just when you thought it couldn't get any better!

·
Registered
446 Posts
The Revos work great in snow and ice. So much so, that I got away with driving in 2WD most of the time last winter in snow and ice (needed to throw it in 4WD on some slippery hills to keep the truck moving at the speed I wanted).

In 4WD, they almost have too much traction (no fun to drive with too much traction). I have the stock 265/70/18's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I can say from experience with other vehicles that there is no way a standard all season/all terrain / anything can perform as well as an even moderately designed true winter tire. Looked at the revo's the other day and tho they would problably be good on packed/loose snow there is just not enough siping on them to give them any real ice traction.

Now the problem here lies with finding anything in the stock sizes in a true winter tire. Searching has turned up the 285/70-17 in the toyo G-O2+. havent really looked at the 18" size yet.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
i have about 4k on my revo's and look forward to winter w/ them. they are going to be much better than the stock bfg 285-70-17's. having said that, i never had a problem w/ snow traction w/ the ragged trails, but they were downright scary in the rain. so having a tire that can do both well will be a nice change.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just got a set of the new Michelin LTX AT2s. So far (only 100 miles) I like them better than the BFG ATKOs I had on the truck. As for the traction in snow and ice, the Michelin has quite a bit of sipping, and two huge channels to move slush out. I look forward to testing them out this winter.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Saliavin said:
I just got a set of the new Michelin LTX AT2s. So far (only 100 miles) I like them better than the BFG ATKOs I had on the truck. As for the traction in snow and ice, the Michelin has quite a bit of sipping, and two huge channels to move slush out. I look forward to testing them out this winter.
I had the AT's on my F-150 a few years ago. They were good for about the first 1/4 of their life, but the 3/4 life compound under the surface was way too hard to provide any decent traction or control in adverse conditions. That's one reason the Revos came out with the Uni-T and Pirelli has their own version. As the tire ages, the layers under the surface compound maintain the agility and aggression of the surface layer. It's what makes them good until they're gone.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Blackbeauty said:
I'm wondering if you would not be better with something like the Blizzack tires, specially made for just what you describe......

But if you don't want snow-specialized tires, I just ordered the Pirelli Scorpion ATR from Tirerack. They are rated higher than the Revos in all the categories, expecially the ice/snow categories. Just when you thought it couldn't get any better!
Hey BB... Please add some pics when you get the Scorpions put on your truck. I'll be needing tires in a couple of months, and am going back and forth between the Scorpions and the Revos. I'm thinking the Revos may be a little better for off-roading. I don't get into nothing to bad, mostly muddy roads / trails.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
I will definitely do that! :thumbsup:

Here's the Bridgestone:

And the Pirelli:

Based on the pics, personal experience, and the ratings posted on TR, I would have to agree. The Revo is rated higher in deep show than the Scorpion. The view of the tread tells the tale. The deeper, wider grooves of the Revo should provide more bite in deep and slushy conditions whether they are deep snow, or mud. For what it's worth, the Scorpion seems to be a more "streetable", all-weather, moderate off-road tire. Not that the Revo is not in the same category. It is clearly better than most others in this arena. The Scorp just has the slight edge in adverse condition handling at the moment.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the at revo's with about 15k on them. Great in the snow, ice, rain. My only complaint is that there is no way these will make it to 30k and 50k is a joke. I'm suprised at the wear rate considering they are a 50k tire.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Blackbeauty said:
I had the AT's on my F-150 a few years ago. They were good for about the first 1/4 of their life, but the 3/4 life compound under the surface was way too hard to provide any decent traction or control in adverse conditions. That's one reason the Revos came out with the Uni-T and Pirelli has their own version. As the tire ages, the layers under the surface compound maintain the agility and aggression of the surface layer. It's what makes them good until they're gone.
you may have had the AT's on you vehicle a few years ago, but the AT/2's just came out this summer and are supposed to be a direct competitor to the revo's.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Scorpions are on and they are S-W-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-T! Ride like a dream! Quiet, stable, good cornering. It's like a brand new truck again. I think I screwed up though. I like the raised white letters, but these aren't solid. They are outlined white letters. I think I should have put the blackwall out. Oh well. Live and learn.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
procomp ATs have severe weather rating

i have good year wrangler silent armour..remains to be seen how they work. will find out this winter. they did rank third overall on tirerack.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts