Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put E rated tires on my 2019 Titan Pro 4x. Looking for any advice (based on actual experience) on best cold pressure to run them at. Max pressure is 80 psi. The shop that mounted them set them at 35 psi (what???). I have seen posts of some running them around 38-40, but the suggested pressure with the factory setup is 44 psi. I now have them at 50 psi just to see how that does. Interested in your experience if you have E rated tires. Thank you for any help you can give.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I've used E-rated BFGs on my '08 KC LWB for five years. Since I tow a 24' raccar trailer with it, my front tires are set at 50 psi (front) and 55 (rear). They seem to be wearing evenly and handle well at that pressure.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Depends on load. 40-45 everyday and will go up to max of 60 if hauling full heavy load. Should never need more than 60 on 1/2 ton pickup. Have read research that indicates E rated tire will generate excess heat causing wear and deterioration when loaded (loads normally for 3/4 or 1 ton truck)and running under 45. Have known many that run under 40 and never a problem but these pickups are used as cars.

·
Premium Member
19,025 Posts
I had Load Range D tires on my Titan and ran them at about 50 PSI when towing. The tires were too heavy (decreased MPG) to run them when not towing, so I can't tell you what PSI was used when not towing.

If you search the Internet, Toyo Tires has an inflation range chart that shows what PSI to use for a given load.

My F-350 has Load Range E tires. I run them at 60 front/80 rear all the time, simply because I don't want to have to remember to reinflate them when towing. About 80% of my miles on the F-350 are towing. I bring up the F-350 to point out that the pressure front/back isn't always the same. It's the rear tires that will be carrying the load when towing or carrying heavy cargo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both for your input. I do tow a 4K pound travel trailer, so the advice regarding towing/hauling is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
19,025 Posts
With the heavier tires, expect increased wear and tear on the truck. Wheel bearings and shocks are the first thing that comes to my mind. Of course, it's too late now, but E rated tires are overkill. I went with D rated tires because I wanted a stiffer sidewall. When I towed through twisty canyon roads, the P rated OEM tires were "squishy" even though they were rated to handle the load.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the heavier tires, expect increased wear and tear on the truck. Wheel bearings and shocks are the first thing that comes to my mind. Of course, it's too late now, but E rated tires are overkill. I went with D rated tires because I wanted a stiffer sidewall. When I towed through twisty canyon roads, the P rated OEM tires were "squishy" even though they were rated to handle the load.
I considered that before deciding what setup to go with. My new wheel/ tire combo only weighs about 3 pounds more than the factory wheel/tire combo. I have done aftermarket setups on many of my vehicles and weight is always of the utmost importance to me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I considered that before deciding what setup to go with. My new wheel/ tire combo only weighs about 3 pounds more than the factory wheel/tire combo. I have done aftermarket setups on many of my vehicles and weight is always of the utmost importance to me.
Correction: I just weighed the factory wheel tire at 78.5 lbs. That makes my new setup about 8 lbs. heavier. Not too worried about that as I see dealerships putting big lifts and much heavier wheel/tire setups on brand new Titans. If they aren't worried about warrantying them with those setups, I am not too worried about the changes I have made.

·
Premium Member
19,025 Posts
I don't remember my exact increase in weight going from P to D. I stuck with OEM wheels so there was no change in wheel weight. Nonetheless, the D rated tires were good for a 1 to 2 MPG drop.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have had E tires on my Titan for at least 300,000 miles (not the same set - I have gone thru more than one set) and I have usually run mine at 50 psi ... I work out of my truck and almost always have some load in the back. I also pull a trailer with equipment from time to time and still run 50 psi.

I have had good success with the tires at 50 psi.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I run 35-35 unloaded. 50-50 towing my car trailer with WD hitch. 70-50 with my truck camper. It all depends on what you're doing with it, you'll have to experiment with look and feel. I have access to a scale right next to my house so I know how much weight is on my axles.

Brands will behave different as well. I got 70k out of my Cooper discoveries (E), 50k Nitto TG's (D), 30k BFG AT's (E).

·
Registered
15 Posts
IF you want to get all nerdy about your tire pressures....

Find yourself a straight place you can drive for a couple hundred feet.

Set your tire pressure to what you think you want.

Steal some of your kids sidewalk chalk and draw a nice thick line across your tread.

Drive aforementioned several hundred feet.

Check chalk lines on tires. If there is still chalk in the center, you are underinflated. If there is chalk on the outsides, you are overinflated. For properly inflated tires, the chalk should be gone. Obviously different loads in your truck will change things a bit.

I haven't done this... yet. Too lazy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I went with E rated Duratrak tires in the stock stock size on my P4X, I referenced a load chart for both the old and new tires and set mine at 45 psi and I'm quite happy with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts