Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The darn thing came on yesterday on the way to work. I pulled over and all tires looked OK. When I left work they still looked OK. When I got home I checked them and they were all within 1# or so of 33#'s. What gives? The light won't go off. Do the sensors have batteries that go dead or something?

·
Registered
942 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. All I did was let out about 5 # from each tire, then reinflated them to about 40# all the way around. Drive about 2 or 3 miles, turn off the truck, then the next time you drive the truck, it will reset itself and shut off the light. I think the cause is sometimes moisture gets trapped in the valve stem giving it false readings, so you need to purge the stem and reinflate to desired psi. That's what worked for me. Also, if you have a pressure monitoring sensor on your spare, you might want to check it also....I have seen the spare be the culprit in the past on other friend's vehicles.

:cheers:

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I'll give it a try this weekend. If that doesn't work - it's off to the dealership!!!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
07cajuntitan said:
Thanks - I'll give it a try this weekend. If that doesn't work - it's off to the dealership!!!
Mine came on in my truck and it's still on to this day. All my tires are fine and inflated to 40psi and it still won't go off. I never thought to check the spare, but that's a great idea:idea: The last dealership I went to wanted to charge me $90 to turn it off :huh: I just assume drive around with it on than pay some jerkoff $90 for 30 sec worth of work. Anywho, if you get it fixed (hopefully for free) let me know what the cause of the problem.

·
Premium Member
59,069 Posts
The light is supposed to come on if the pressure goes below 28 psi but mine lights up and stays lit when the pressure gets to 31 psi. If I'm on the freeway and my tires are at 32 psi they will blink every once in a while for a mile or so and go out. In town at 32 psi, the light does not come on. I keep my tires between 33 and 35 psi and everything seems to work out fine.

The last day or so we have been having record cold in the gulf south. I bet if you add a pound or two to your tires you will be just fine.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Can I ask a stupid question?

I did a search but just never really found the simple answer...

If I put different wheels on the Titan that do not have TPS, will the dash light be on constantly?

I have a 2nd set of OEM 17" OR wheels I bought from a member here and am having them powdercoated. I'm trying to decide if I have to pay for another set of TPS because I will not be able to handle the light on all the time.

Oh, and another stupid question - when I switch the wheels back and forth will I always have to go tot he garage and have the system reflashed so it "sees" the different sensors?

Thanks for your patience...be gentle with me. :)

·
Premium Member
59,069 Posts
If you put a different set of rims on without TPS you will have the light on constantly.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Juday said:
Mine came on in my truck and it's still on to this day. All my tires are fine and inflated to 40psi and it still won't go off. I never thought to check the spare, but that's a great idea:idea: The last dealership I went to wanted to charge me $90 to turn it off :huh: I just assume drive around with it on than pay some jerkoff $90 for 30 sec worth of work. Anywho, if you get it fixed (hopefully for free) let me know what the cause of the problem.
Step one: Send your $90 to me and I will send you a $.99 air pressure guage that I will buy from wal-Mart to send back to you. Step two: Use the guage to drop your psi from 40 to 35 (noted in the driver side door jam) as recommended by Nissan. (mine says 35 I am asuming yours does too, set it to what it says) The system will notify you that there is something wrong with the pressure if there is too much or too little air in your tires. Once you set the pressure correctly ignore the light for about ten minutes and it will shut itself off, It's not rocket science fellas. If you have done this and it still doesn't work go buy a better air pressure guage the cheap ones are pretty inaccurate.

Those of you with aftermarket wheels without TPMS, take the sensors out of the stock wheels and put them in the aftermarket ones or buy another set of sensors for them. If you buy a new set try installing them and repeating the above steps if the sensors don't reset, give it a day then take it to a dealer they might have to register the new sensors with the computer.

The sensors are part of the valve stem, any tire shop should be able to transfer them to your new wheels. If your new wheels don't have an angled valve stem hole (about 30 degrees I think) there are straps you can buy that strap the sensor to the barrel of the wheel inside the tire. A normal valvestem would then be used.

PM me for my address.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Quartz said:
If you put a different set of rims on without TPS you will have the light on constantly.
Perfect simple straight forward answer, THX!

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
First off......this is the single one thing i said to heck with trying to get fixed. It's about as clever as a football bat. I went round and round with the dealer on these stupid things, still not fixed right. If you keep your tires at least 35 psi they shouldnt come on. (shouldnt key word) Mine come on now after about 75 miles of highway driving and never cut off until the destination is reached. I figured i could deal with that since i dont normally drive it that distance daily.

I bought aftermarket wheels and tires to go on......didnt get any TPMS to go on new set and it functions like with the OEM wheels. I doubt the sensors came on the wheels, so that tells me the things suck to begin with.

I had a buddy of mine go through this with his Toyota........spent half the day at the dealer to find out he had one on his spare tire. Why???

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
roy365 said:
I went round and round with the dealer on these stupid things, still not fixed right. If you keep your tires at least 35 psi they shouldnt come on. (shouldnt key word) Mine come on now after about 75 miles of highway driving and never cut off until the destination is reached.
I had issues once just like this. I went to the dealer and they reflashed the system. Problem has never come back...

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
Quad T said:
I had issues once just like this. I went to the dealer and they reflashed the system. Problem has never come back...
Yeah they "supposedly" did this to mine as well. After about two more trips after the reflash i decided it was just not worth the headache any more. Main thing is to just keep the tires at or above 35psi i think.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Mine came on when it was really cold. (really cold being 35 degrees in AZ) I checked the pressure first thing in the morning. It was set with 30lbs. This is with about 1000 miles on the truck. I bumped the pressure up to 35lbs and drove to work. Light stayed on the entire time. When I got into my truck to go home after work, the light was off. Two things to be seen here. First, I wonder if the the change in temp. is enough to effect the tire pressure?? Second, it will probably take driving a couple miles with the raised pressure, then turning the engine off, then back on in order to reset the light.

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
tre5 said:
First, I wonder if the the change in temp. is enough to effect the tire pressure?? Second, it will probably take driving a couple miles with the raised pressure, then turning the engine off, then back on in order to reset the light.
Yes both factor in.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
roy365 said:
Yeah they "supposedly" did this to mine as well. After about two more trips after the reflash i decided it was just not worth the headache any more. Main thing is to just keep the tires at or above 35psi i think.
I get it, trust me. When my Titan was brand new it leaked like a mother. I went back something like 5-times to the dealer where I bought and it was always leaking when I got it back. I then switched to another dealer, and the 1st time they worked on it they fixed the leak, and then went ahead and did the complete brake recall without me even asking. Neadless to say, I have been going to them ever since...

Sorry your situation has become painful!

·
Registered
304 Posts
There is another thread discussing this that I repiled in but I just put my OEM wheels back on for winter with an extra set of TPM's and took it to the dealer... it took them two minutes to use their wand to set the new sensors to the truck. This is an easy thing to do twice a year to keep my chrome wheels new. I did put my original TPM's into my aftermarket wheels and bought an extra set for the OEM wheels.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Temperture effects the pressure for sure. If your pressure is set close to the warrning limits of the sensor Driving on the Hwy is enought to warm the tires up a few PSI. After you stop the tire cools again. Forget the cheap pressure gauges, get a good one and reset all your tires. (note that major elevation changes can effect the pressure in your tires too. -food for thought)

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Titan-ization said:
let out about 5 # from each tire, then reinflated them to about 35# all the way around.
Worked like a charm - thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
07cajuntitan said:
The darn thing came on yesterday on the way to work. I pulled over and all tires looked OK. When I left work they still looked OK. When I got home I checked them and they were all within 1# or so of 33#'s. What gives? The light won't go off. Do the sensors have batteries that go dead or something?
Wasn't it butt-*** cold that day, if I remember correctly?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts