Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tire pressure do you run with??? Which tires do you have???
i have the BFG's and am running 42psi in each. The tires look a little flat otherwise. they aren't overinflated so there isnt any abnormal wear.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
1BadTitan said:
What tire pressure do you run with??? Which tires do you have???
i have the BFG's and am running 42psi in each. The tires look a little flat otherwise. they aren't overinflated so there isnt any abnormal wear.
According to everything I have read in the manuals and on the door sticker, the PROPER tire pressure for the Titan is 36 pounds.

I have the standard tires - P285/70R17 BFG Rugged Trail OWL Tires - that come with the Off Road Package and run them at 37 pounds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
35 psi here - Goodyear 18's. My second day the tire pressure warning light came on, I ran over a screw. Neat feature, probably saved me from blowing out a tire on I-35 during rush hour.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
the cold psi on the door says 32

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cold PSI for my 285/70/17 is 35lbs but I run 32front + 28 rear empty. Pulling a trailer and 3 harleys 32psi front and 35 psi rear. Rides like a caddy.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Glad the forum made it a checklist item...

I found 3 tires at 36 psi and one at 46 when I went to bring the beast home

·
Registered
14 Posts
BearBrawn said:
Glad the forum made it a checklist item...

I found 3 tires at 36 psi and one at 46 when I went to bring the beast home

The max load stated psi for the 285 BFG Rugged trail is 35lb. When I picked up the truck all 4 tires were at 45lbs. I now have 36lbs in them and a couple days ago after snow and chilly weather here in Colorado the low pressure indicator came on. Checked pressure on all 4 tires and they were at 36lbs. It went away after it warmed up a bit.

·
Registered
647 Posts
35 psi with BFGs.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
wow! you guys run your tires low... i've got the 18" Goodyears running at a healthy 42lbs. tire wear is perfect, ride is smooth, and the gas mileage is much better at 42lbs. vs running it in the mid 30s. And i am an absolute stickler for tire wear. running tire pressure that low is going to increase wear and lower fuel efficiency due to higher friction ratio, plus it is worse having low tire pressure when it is raining. oh well, run em at whatever floats your boat.

:cheers:

·
Registered
109 Posts
why not 35?

Prometheus said:
wow! you guys run your tires low... i've got the 18" Goodyears running at a healthy 42lbs. tire wear is perfect, ride is smooth, and the gas mileage is much better at 42lbs. vs running it in the mid 30s. And i am an absolute stickler for tire wear. running tire pressure that low is going to increase wear and lower fuel efficiency due to higher friction ratio, plus it is worse having low tire pressure when it is raining. oh well, run em at whatever floats your boat.

So the manufacturers recommend 35, not 42, because...?

·
Registered
31 Posts
ok..this has always been a strange one..but there are two ways to look at this and i dont know which would be better..when i was a manager for jiffy lube years ago they said you must go by the door sticker..now that i sell tires in my shop the tire companies say never go beyond sidewall rating since this will cause excessive heat buildup or some crap..

which do we go by? if you follow the door sticker you could be at risk just like all those explorer owners who ran their tires at such a low pressure recommended by ford that it was one of the major causes of all those blowouts..

i am running 40 psi in the front 38 rear cold in my bfg's-off road package..more than sidewall says but the tread is flat on the pavement so i guess do what ya want just keep an eye on your tread wear....

also all makers are doing this but it bugs me that a 4x4 truck that has an off road package should never ever have passenger car tires on it!!! i realize the cost is less but they should put a true LT-light truck tire on these..part of the reason ou payload is so light the weight of the truck almost maxes out the tires alone..

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
staakman,

i fully agree with you on the LT issue, what the hell were they thinking, penny pinching bastards... oh well, love the titan anyhow, will be investing in some 285/65/18 BFG A/Ts, when the inventory of them go up...

·
Registered
109 Posts
GY Wrangler SR-A says 44 max psi

staackman said:
ok..this has always been a strange one...
Strange to me, but Im learning so this is good. (my) 2wd SE has GY Wrangler SR-A's and they say 44 is the max psi The only reason I'd lower pressure is for traction. What is the, or is there, an upside to running with a lower pressure?

·
Registered
14 Posts
kmfernandez said:
Strange to me, but Im learning so this is good. (my) 2wd SE has GY Wrangler SR-A's and they say 44 is the max psi The only reason I'd lower pressure is for traction. What is the, or is there, an upside to running with a lower pressure?
Don't know if I would run higher than the max 35psi listed on the those marginal BFG Rugged Trail tires. I've always run max listed tire pressures but never exceeded them. Wonder if you would be setting yourself up for pre-mature tire failure. Look at Firestone. Most of those instances were caused by improper pressure,either over inflated or under.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Torch said:
Don't know if I would run higher than the max 35psi listed on the those marginal BFG Rugged Trail tires. I've always run max listed tire pressures but never exceeded them. Wonder if you would be setting yourself up for pre-mature tire failure. Look at Firestone. Most of those instances were caused by improper pressure,either over inflated or under.
Huh? I wrote "...(my) 2wd SE has GY Wrangler SR-A's, and they say the max psi is 44" Thats 'GY' as in GOODYEAR; they are Goodyar Wrangler SR-A's, not BFG RuggedTrail, and the max listed PSI is 44, not 36...

Seems to me the tire manufacturer ought to know whats best for their tires. So what is the upside to a lower pressure, other than better traction in mud or sand...?

·
Registered
109 Posts
how long at 42?

Prometheus said:

Is this a standard thing you do - bump up the pressure to near the limit? Curious if this has worked well for you over years...? Ive got a regular 2wd - Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's - and the max psi written on the tires is 44. Cant understand why Nissan would recommend way less.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
for the past 2 weeks my front tires seemed slighty low. I finally bought a tire pressure gauge and checked it today. the front ones were at 40 psi and the rears were at 35. Is it normal for the front tires to look just a little low, even though they are slightly overinflated??? I'm just kinda confused....

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
the fronts are always going to look lower as most of the weight is up front, as far as, do i raise the tire pressure in my tires higher than the manufacturer's recommended numbers. ALWAYS!!! and i've NEVER had a problem and gas mileage numbers have always been better, as well as tire wear. with the cost of tires nowadays, i watch the wear and alignment on a regular basis. increasing tire pressure between the car manufacturer's and the tire manufacturer's recommended pressure has been a practice of mine for many years with excellent results as well as tires that last much longer. you just gotta find the gray area, hehe

low tire pressures = higher friction = more heat = tires that: :explode:

-

1 - 20 of 39 Posts