Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
There's a pretty big difference in the ride after I dropped the pressure down to the recommended 35 psi. Coming home from the dealer the truck was bouncing so much on the freeway I think my wife was getting nausea.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Prometheus said:
... do i raise the tire pressure in my tires higher than the manufacturer's recommended numbers. ALWAYS!!! and i've NEVER had a problem and gas mileage numbers have always been better, as well as tire wear. ...

-
I've read enough - I'm in and Im splitting the difference. Drove about a mile down the road first thing this morning and set 'em all to 39-40. Thanks for the tip Prometheus!

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
Hey guys, make sure you check your pressures. I didn't until the guy at the oil change place took a look. 50psi in the rears and 48psi up front on a 3 week old (from dealer) truck. Both were over the max pressure for the tires of 44psi. I had them lowered down to 44.

BTW: the oil was very clean (1,000miles)

·
Registered
260 Posts
sammy sandbag said:
50psi in the rears and 48psi up front on a 3 week old (from dealer) truck.
QUOTE]

LOL. I just checked mine on Sunday after reading this thread and they were the same...almost 50 in the front and about 48 in the rear (they were cold too). Put them to 40 all around.

·
Registered
350 Posts
mtbendo said:
There's a pretty big difference in the ride after I dropped the pressure down to the recommended 35 psi. Coming home from the dealer the truck was bouncing so much on the freeway I think my wife was getting nausea.

You have the same Titan I do...CC 4x4 big tow.....what are you running all of your tires at? I'm going to check mine tomorrow.

Thanks!
Crickett

·
Registered
92 Posts
Prometheus said:
the fronts are always going to look lower as most of the weight is up front, as far as, do i raise the tire pressure in my tires higher than the manufacturer's recommended numbers. ALWAYS!!! and i've NEVER had a problem and gas mileage numbers have always been better, as well as tire wear. with the cost of tires nowadays, i watch the wear and alignment on a regular basis. increasing tire pressure between the car manufacturer's and the tire manufacturer's recommended pressure has been a practice of mine for many years with excellent results as well as tires that last much longer. you just gotta find the gray area, hehe

low tire pressures = higher friction = more heat = tires that: :explode:
-
Ok, too low of pressure and what you say is correct. After many years of racing sport cars, checking tire pressure was critical to getting the best handling out of the car and tires. I always found that if I went a little too high on tire pressure the cars handled like it was on ice, because I was getting less of a contact patch on the road. The tire was bowed out some what due to the increased pressure. You are probably are getting better gas mileage due lower rolling resistance and some what smaller contact patch on the road. If you can live with the ride quality and the middle of the tire is not wearing out, then you are set. I would just make sure to check the pressure right after you driven on very hot day to make the pressure has not increased too high. I tend to check my tires after a hot trip for "hot" pressure and then the next morning for "cold" pressure, so I know where to set the pressure when they are cold in order to not exceed the max pressure when they get hot.

I think the important thing this topic could enforce is that it is important to check your tire pressures often and it should vary due to weather and the load you are driving with.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The only "upside" I can think of to running with lower pressure is ride quality. The ride will be softer. Otherwise, MPG decreases and tire wear increases.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ok, I have a stupid question. How in the hell does the air pressure sensor work? Will I have to disconnect something when rotating my tires or what? This one has bugged me since I bought my Titan :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
1BadTitan said:
What tire pressure do you run with??? Which tires do you have???
i have the BFG's and am running 42psi in each. The tires look a little flat otherwise. they aren't overinflated so there isnt any abnormal wear.
Obviously there are many "schools" of thought here relating to proper tire pressure. There are some good posts re: this matter in this forum posted earlier in the year if you take the time to search. Also there is some good info. re: tire care at www.tirerack.com as one example. Just be careful setting your pressure too high based on the sidewall of the tire. Those ratings are from the tire manufacturer for the compatibility of being used by different vehicles which should fall in the ratings set from the individual vehicle manufacturers. The differences in psi on a cold tire vs. one after running can increase dramatically resulting in reaching very close if not exceeding the tire manufacturers recommended max.psi. When you read these articles all that I have read recommend setting to manufacturers recommendations due to axle weights and ratios, etc. Even running w/a full payload and towing all plays a part thus the manufacturer sets the ratings after taking all this in to consideration. Anyway just my $.02

·
Registered
877 Posts
Prometheus said:
wow! you guys run your tires low... i've got the 18" Goodyears running at a healthy 42lbs. tire wear is perfect, ride is smooth, and the gas mileage is much better at 42lbs. vs running it in the mid 30s. And i am an absolute stickler for tire wear. running tire pressure that low is going to increase wear and lower fuel efficiency due to higher friction ratio, plus it is worse having low tire pressure when it is raining. oh well, run em at whatever floats your boat.

:cheers:
42PSI here, No noticable tire wear or anything. Ride quality is great. Imagine I'll keep it at that. I was kinda freaked out when I looked on the side wall because I have never ran 18" tires. Only 16" tires until now. Seen 44 PSI, HOLY CRAP!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
ttammunek04 said:
42PSI here, No noticable tire wear or anything. Ride quality is great. Imagine I'll keep it at that. I was kinda freaked out when I looked on the side wall because I have never ran 18" tires. Only 16" tires until now. Seen 44 PSI, HOLY CRAP!!

You're funny! :jester:

·
Registered
499 Posts
pressure sensors

titan5.6 said:
Ok, I have a stupid question. How in the hell does the air pressure sensor work? Will I have to disconnect something when rotating my tires or what? This one has bugged me since I bought my Titan :)
Your valve stems have radio transmitters on the other end of them . A tsb I saw said to have the tire poeple loosen the nut on the valve stem before breaking the bead on the tires to prevent breaking the transmitters.

·
Registered
142 Posts
When I picked up my new Titan, the tire pressure for the BF Goodrich tires was set for each at 44 psi. That's 9 psi over recommendations. I've let it down to 42 psi. The ride is excellent! The dealer told me the factory loads the tires up since they rachet the trucks down onto the transport truck, and the higher pressure helps prevent flat spots on the tires. Anyway, sounds logical.

slick50

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Slick50 said:
The dealer told me the factory loads the tires up since they rachet the trucks down onto the transport truck, and the higher pressure helps prevent flat spots on the tires. Anyway, sounds logical.

slick50
Did the dealer have a logical explanation for his failure to correctly set the tire pressure prior to delivery? I am pretty sure they have this on the check list. Mine came the same way. I am just grateful they weren't Firestones.

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
talltom said:
Ok, tooI would just make sure to check the pressure right after you driven on very hot day to make the pressure has not increased too high. I tend to check my tires after a hot trip for "hot" pressure and then the next morning for "cold" pressure, so I know where to set the pressure when they are cold in order to not exceed the max pressure when they get hot.
The max pressure listed on a tire's sidewall is a cold pressure, not a hot pressure.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Austin said:
The max pressure listed on a tire's sidewall is a cold pressure, not a hot pressure.
Ok, ? I look at it as a MAX pressure at which it is safe to run the tires and if your tires cold are already at max pressure aren't you are going to be in trouble once the tire warms up? Or are you saying that the tire maker is allowing for a pressure increase when they they get hot? How much?

Some quotes from the tire rack web site:

Underinflation
If your vehicle's tires are underinflated by only 6 psi it could lead to tire failure. Additionally, the tire's tread life could be reduced by as much as 25%. Lower inflation pressure will allow the tire to deflect (bend) more as it rolls. This will build up internal heat, increase rolling resistance and cause a reduction in fuel economy of up to 5%. You would find a significant loss of steering precision and cornering stability. While 6 psi doesn't seem excessively low, remember, it usually represents about 20% of the tire's recommended pressure.

Overinflation

If your tires are overinflated by 6 psi, they could be damaged more easily when running over potholes or debris in the road. Higher inflated tires cannot isolate road irregularities well causing them to ride harsher. However, higher inflation pressures usually provide an improvement in steering response and cornering stability up to a point. This is why participants who use street tires in autocrosses, track events and road races, run higher than normal inflation pressures.

·
Registered
350 Posts
With such a mixed bag of opinions here, whats the safest pressure for the BF's? They say 35 on the sidewall. I put 37 in cold. Slick50....you're running them at 42 cold?

I'm very confused!

Crickett

·
Registered
27 Posts
I ran a set of Goodyear Wranglers on a Ranger at 45 psi. Anything less (recommended pressure) and they started to show wear on the outside edges of the tire. I got 75,000 miles out of that set of tires. I will probably keep these at 42 and watch the wear pattern. Most of my driving is two lane winding mountain highway.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Its got to be about tread wear as the final arbiter of proper inflation amount for your truck and the conditions you will be exposing it to. Seriously overinflating will cause excessive wear in the center which will be visible. Too little and the edges suffer.

My guess is that the tire manufacturers are in CYA mode since Firestone so they give the most MOR rating possible. You will get better fuel economy and less overall wear and snappier handling at higher rather than lower pressures. And unless you chronically tax the GVWR of the truck or run in extreme conditions you should be fine at 40 psi.

·
Registered
3 Posts

just installed Nitto Ridge Grapplers after my level kit. 33/12.50/20. Shop set pressure at 37psi. Seems low to me anyone else have similar set up?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts