Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about putting about 350 miles on my Titan CC, I thought
I'd better check my tire pressures. It was delivered to me
with 42-44lbs from the dealer. Door jamb says 35 cold. I
lowered them all to 35 and the ride improved dramatically. I'm
not one for under inflating by any means, but at 44 it was
pretty stiff..this is with the truck unloaded.

S

·
0 Posts
Do you have any pictures of your new truck? I have a white SE 4X4 crew cab ordered but have only seen the two wheel drive in white not a four wheel. In all of the test drives I have taken the truck handled and drove great. Good to hear it is even better with a lower tire pressure. CAN"T WAIT!!!!

·
Registered
823 Posts
NSXER said:
After about putting about 350 miles on my Titan CC, I thought
I'd better check my tire pressures. It was delivered to me
with 42-44lbs from the dealer. Door jamb says 35 cold. I
lowered them all to 35 and the ride improved dramatically. I'm
not one for under inflating by any means, but at 44 it was
pretty stiff..this is with the truck unloaded.
Same here, there was 45lbs. all around when I took delivery of my truck. 35lbs. rides MUCH better!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
If they changed the default tires, they may not have changed the label. Tire pressure is determined by the tire manufacturer. Remember the firestone problems? It was partialy due to the fact that Ford recommended that the tires be deflated by 10 lbs from the manufacturers recomendation. The tires should on average be inflated to 3-5 lbs under the max recomendation. 40 - 44 lbs on a 45psi tire.

This is so that Nissan cannot be sued the same way Ford was. You may adjust the pressure down, but you will increase tire heat.

Please use caution when doing this, and pay attention to tire wear patterns. If the sholders show ware, you need to increase the pressure!

Hope this information helps.

·
Registered
250 Posts
;?¬;??]Originally posted by Doghouse [/i]
If they changed the default tires, they may not have changed the label. Tire pressure is determined by the tire manufacturer. Remember the firestone problems? It was partialy due to the fact that Ford recommended that the tires be deflated by 10 lbs from the manufacturers recomendation. The tires should on average be inflated to 3-5 lbs under the max recomendation. 40 - 44 lbs on a 45psi tire.

This is so that Nissan cannot be sued the same way Ford was. You may adjust the pressure down, but you will increase tire heat.

Please use caution when doing this, and pay attention to tire wear patterns. If the sholders show ware, you need to increase the pressure!

Hope this information helps.
[/QUOTE]

Partially correct. The maximum tire pressure (that is molded on the side wall) is determined by the tire manufacturer. But the recommended pressure (on the door jamb sticker) is based on testing done by the vehicle manufacturer (not the tire manufacturer), and represents a good compromise pressure for safety, ride, handling, and wear.

Ford recommended a lower pressure for the Explorer, because based on their testing, a higher pressure increased the probability of vehicle roll over.

If you choose to run maximum, or near maximum tire pressures on an unladen pickup truck, be prepared for excessive wear in the center of the tire, and squirrely handling in the rain.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have the tire pressure monitor option on mine. how does that work? will a light come on in the dash if the pressure is low?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I *THINK* it sensors when the vehicle is off balance. ie, if one side is setting lower than the other in relation to the gravity vector. Again, that's my theory, I'm not honestly sure how they do it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
outahere,

That is exactly why I stated to watch for tire wear. It is the only true indicator that you are putting a flat tread to the ground.

I am just cautioning that the manufacturer may have put the wrong sticker on.

There are 2 or 3 different types of tires that come on the Titan. Each has a different pressure and load rating, and therefore have different pressure requirements.

Nissan may not have created 3 different stickers and that could be why the trucks were delivered with 44psi in the tires, but the door only says 35.

·
Registered
134 Posts
ttz32 said:
I *THINK* it sensors when the vehicle is off balance. ie, if one side is setting lower than the other in relation to the gravity vector. Again, that's my theory, I'm not honestly sure how they do it.
actually it's tied in with the ABS sensors

these can determine if the overall circumference(diameter) is lower than it should be resulting in more revolutions per mile

I'm sure it's set from the factory with "X"rpm for each wheel with a give tire size (285/70/17 vs 265/75/17)

·
Registered
294 Posts
The tire pressure monitoring system comes standard on all Titan's and provides a warning light when any of the 4 tires reach a tire pressure lower than 28 psi. The warning light doesn't indicate which tire but is very useful nonetheless. It works by transmitting a radio signal from a transmitter on the inside of the rim. If you ever change tires you need to make sure the tire shop is aware that you have this system so they don't accidentally damage the transmitter when taking the tire off the rim.

Karl

1 - 11 of 11 Posts