Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current setup: Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70R17 on nissan oem 17" wheels with prg leveling kit.

Looking at Hankook MT 285/70R17, Pro Comp Xtreme AT 285/70R17, and Toyo Open Country MT 295/70R17. Prefer an aggressive looking tire.

Terra Grapplers were okay, have a friend that has Open Country MT and he said he would try a different brand.

Just need advice, comments or reveiws, pics of 17" wheels with these tire combos would be awesome.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I ran the Toyo M/T's in the LT295/70R17E and they were great both on and off road. Got 37K miles out of them ... all country roads, with a lot of curves. I had them siped, and they handled excellent in the rain, even at the wear bars.

The negative is their 73 lbs. I could feel the weight during acceleration. Stock were 43 or 44 lbs. and the extra 30 lbs. per corner caused a 2 mpg decrease in mileage. [Before the M/T's I ran 58 lbs. BFG A/T KO's in the LT285/70R17D and only lost 1 mpg compared to stock. According to Nitto, your current Terra's are 55 lbs, so you'd likely lose around 1 mpg with them too].

My next tire's might be the 295's in the Hankook ATm RF10 or the Nitto Terra's. Might also consider the Hankook or BFG M/T in the LT285/70R17, or a lighter A/T because of gas prices.

Here's the Toyo's on my Titan:
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-pictures-media-post/67262-33-5-toyo-m-ts-o-r-rims-prg-4-performance-pkg.html#post1084682

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey NorCal. I got my Hankook MT 285/70r17 on. Had them balanced, alignment done, running 45 psi. Anything over 50-55 mph I get wandering/fishtailing when slightly moving steering wheel, like changing lanes. Any ideas I should pursue?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Probably from the bigger M/T tread blocks.

Since you have a decent amount of inflation, it's probably not from the sidewalls flexing too much, so maybe drop the pressure to around 35 psi if you're not carrying much of a load to see if it helps. [Theory being the rest of the tire will move with the tread blocks a little more].

Think they will get better without doing anything though, once they wear down a little, maybe a couple thousand miles. How many miles do you have on them now?

Btw, if I was keeping them, I would get them sipped at a tire shop. Some Discount Tire and Les Schwab tire shops have the machines and charge around $15/tire. Helps a lot in the rain.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was what I was thinking about the tread blocks.

I lowered my psi down to 40. It feels better, but noticed that on the freeway yesterday when a big vehicle passes feels like a semi blowing me to the opposite direction.

I have put about 800 miles on those bad boys.

I am going to keep them, I paid pretty hefty price for them, and it is past my 30 day period. I like the way they look, can't wait to get them on the dirt. I am definitely gonna get the siped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts