Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some opinions on this. My Nittos are getting close to the end of their life and I'm in the process of looking and buying some new ones. The ones I'm running now are 325/60/18's. No rubbing with a 2.5" leveling kit. Great tire. I can buy a used set of BFG A/T's dirt cheap. They are 285/65/18's. Do you guys think this will be a big drop in size as compared to the 325/60/18's I have now? What is everyone's opinion on BFG's vs Nittos?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I wonder if .8" will be a big difference. That would pretty much be stock height. Wouldn't it?
They are only 0.2" different if you look at the spec sheets. I've run both the KO's and the Terra's and like the KO's much better, (although the one's I had got crazy slick in the rain when they had about 1/4 of the tread remaining, and unfortunately it was the beginning of the rainy season). Previous year they were great though. On the other hand the Terra's were crap in the rain from day one. I ran them for most of a rainy season and they would get a C- or a D+. I had them siped before this rainy season and it helped them a lot, but they still don't measure up to all the hype, just a C+. My siped Toyo M/T's were much better in the rain even at the wear bars ... amazing tire, but they weigh too much.

The KO's were much better off road than the Terra's, and actually for dirt and loose rock, as good as the Toyo M/T's. I always like to climb the jeep hills in 2wd to see how far I can go at crawling speeds, and the Terra's just spin where the KO's made it a good way before having to switch to 4HI. Btw, this is w/o airing down, at 15 psi the Terra's probably grip as good.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I am going to drop to that size from the same size. Mainly due to fuel economy. I seldom leave the road, so I am leaning towards the Toyo Open Country A/T again. Most excellent traction in all climbs and places. At almost 10lbs a piece lighter and better overall diameter they should help me on MPG as well.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I am going to drop to that size from the same size. Mainly due to fuel economy. I seldom leave the road, so I am leaning towards the Toyo Open Country A/T again. Most excellent traction in all climbs and places. At almost 10lbs a piece lighter and better overall diameter they should help me on MPG as well.
Also considering dropping to a smaller/lighter tire for fuel savings next time. Might try the 53 pound GY DuraTrac, in a LT285/70R17D, or if gas is at $5/gal by then, maybe even go to a Kumho KL61 in a P285/50R17 at 44 lbs. (plus it has a 60K mile tread warranty, Lol).

That's one good thing about the Terra's, they are pretty light. My 34's are only 62 lbs. Btw, the LT285/65R18 Toyo A/T's are only about 2.4 lbs. less than their LT325/60R18, but they do have another LT285/65R18 listed without any spec information yet, so maybe it will be lighter, (current one is 57.1 lbs).

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The ones I saw listed on the Toyo page showed the 285/60R18 to weight in at 49lbs each, and my 325/60R18 supposedly weigh in at 59lbs each. I might have bad numbers from somewhere, but if it is even close to shedding 40lbs and a smaller diamter it's gonna help out with MPG. ..

I can't force myself to run either G/Y or BFG again, Ever. Anytime I have run them they have just plain sucked. Treadlife, grip in rain, etc.. I like the Nitto's but as mentioned they are not what they Toyo's are. I have had ZERO wet weather problems. That is usually a large concern when buying tires in Houston. We are in a bit of a drought right now and I am not sure what rain looks like anymore. But I am sure we will get it again. LOL

I am about to either pony up for all four in the smaller size, or "Road Hazard" the last out of four for my "new" set. Three have already been done. Gotta work out the Gas-vs-Cost to see whats best.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I see what it is. You looked at the specs of the P285/60R18, instead of the LT285/65R18. The 60's 31.3" diameter is like an old XE's OEM diameter, while the 65's are about the old stock SE/LE size.

Yeah, if I go with the DuraTracs, it will be a leap of faith, and I hope I don't regret it. Unlike most of the GY tires they have great reviews, including on here, and are the lightest aggressive tire that I've seen.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the insite guys. They're asking $150 for 3 tires. I desperatley need to find one more tire to make it a done deal. They are load range "E". So that might be difficult to find.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Well having done the math it would take almost 1.5yrs to offset the MPG improvement versus the cash outlay for new ones. So, it looks like I will just suffer at 13 +/- mpg and pay the $45 to Road Hazard the last one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts