Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see this being asked alot, so I thought I'd make a post that describes why changing to a larger size of tire also changes your speedometer and odometer readings. It also explains how to determine the "correction factor" which can be used to calculate how many miles you really did travel, or how fast you are really going.

I also showed the correct method for determining the circumference of a metric sized tire (ex. 245/75/17).

Maybe this could be made a sticky if you think it's helpful??

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
i dont have larger tires on my truck YET.. but is there someplace we can take our trucks to to have the speedomoter recalibrated for the larger tires?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
import2nr said:
i dont have larger tires on my truck YET.. but is there someplace we can take our trucks to to have the speedomoter recalibrated for the larger tires?
I am unaware of any such programmer/calibration tool.

·
Premium Member
92,271 Posts
I would think the dealers can do it. I had them recalibrate my Ford when I upsized the tires. It's just an adjustment to the computer. They just used a sequence of on/off with the ignition switch and the odometer set button. I cannot believe it's not built into the ECU programmability. If so, this is a MAJOR screw-up by Nissan!

·
Registered
838 Posts
If the dealer can't do it, just get a cheap GPS. It doesn't even need to have navigation features. That will give you true road speed, and distance travelled, etc. regardless of tire size and will allow you to switch tires back and forth without any recalibration.

That's what I do on my old CJ5 Jeep with 36 inch Super Swampers when I play in the mud and 31 inch AT's if I'm going to be on the street. The GPS doesn't care.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
a thought here...

can the owners with the NAV system make the asjustment? i know there are a lot of things that interface can do.

also, what about the tire pressure sensors? obviously, dif size tires have dif tire pressures..?? and do they work with aftermarket wheels?

wrecks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I am new here, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is an alternative tire size for a 05' LE model besides the 265-70R-18. I am having trouble locating tires locally here that will fit for what I want to do with the truck.

thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oddly enough and I really don't get it, but my speedo isn't off by like any. figured this out when the cops set up one of those speed check things where it tells you how fast ur going, and it was right on...weird considering i went to 35's

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
07KC4x4 said:
Oddly enough and I really don't get it, but my speedo isn't off by like any. figured this out when the cops set up one of those speed check things where it tells you how fast ur going, and it was right on...weird considering i went to 35's
Same here, I assumed I'd be off by about 5mph, but my speedometer is right in line with my GPS...Unless my GPS is off. :upsidedow

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an 08 se Titan and recently went with a 6" lift and 35's and my speedo is off about 4-5 mph. I went to my local dealer to see if they could recalibrate my ecu, and the computer wouldn't show a option for recalibrating the speedo! I went with the 2* advance, if anyone has been successful with this please let me know. I my have been because mine is a 08 , it seems like nothing else works the same on the earlier models as the 07-08's so nothing surprises me.

·
Registered
499 Posts
It is not possible to recalibrate the speedo on the Titan. Also you can use the tire pressure sensors on some but not all aftermarket wheels. It depends on the hole that the valve stem goes in. It doesn't matter what the psi rating is on the tires as long as all the tires are set to the same pressures.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do not use the radar systems you see on the side of the road to check your speed those things are never very accurate.

My 08 Titan shows @3mph faster on the speed than it is actually going on stock tires.

If you go to a larger tire size your speed-o will be off by a %. So if the tire you put on is 10% larger then you will always be going 10% faster than what your speed-o reads. SO at 10mph you are traveling 1mph faster than what your speed-o shows and at 100mph you are traveling 10mph faster than what it shows.

There is also @ +/-3mph margin of error for the factory speed-o. Same with most GPS systems.

One of the reasons that police usually do not bother people traveling 5-10mph over the speed limit is that the margin of error of all the equipment involved falls within this range. Laser however is said to be very accurate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased the Hypertech In-Line Speedometer Calibrator from RealTruck.com for $206.99 shipped. (Use the coupon code SJ921) This was on my 08. It offeres tire/wheel size correction and gear ration correction. It was a pain in the arse to install. I had pull out the instrument panel to get the plug it connects to, but it worked. The tires I put on were wider but an 1 1/2" shorter so I was putting more miles on my truck than I was actually driving. But this fixed it and everything is reading correct according to my GPS.

·
Registered
156 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Anybody have a solid answer as to what Tire the Titan is calibrated to OEM? I know the XE is slightly smaller than the SE/LE Tires. I think the XE was a 31.8" or 31.6" tire. My current 265/70/17 seems dead on with GPS.

My greatest need, is to reset my Cipher for 0-60 MPH when I go to the track again. I'll change it to a 0-68 MPH or whatever, to get accurate 0-60 MPH ET with my Drag Radials. They are much smaller Diameter, about 28"

1 - 20 of 51 Posts