Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the next few weeks I will be purchasing some new wheels and tires online since I just lifted my Titan and the stock look so tiny. I have a 2006 XE 2wd with a 4" CST spindle lift with a 2.5" PRG Leveling kit and 4" blocks in the back. I am in a bit of a pickle, I really like the size 305/70/17 since they aren't tooo big but not too small. The only ones that I seem to like in that size is the Nitto Terra Grapplers but they don't look that aggresive. I really like the look of the Trail grapplers but the closest size is 295/70/17. Woul there be THAT much of a size difference? Should I go with the Trail Grapplers since I like the look of them better?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
If I had a 2wd, (since aftermarket gears are available for them), I'd get at least a 34.5" LT315/70R17. I have run the 33.98" LT305/70R17 Terras, with just a 2.5" leveling kit, and at 4" with a hat flipped DRE coilover, and think they'd be a bit small for a 6.5" lift. [Link to pics, in my sig.] Of course depending on the wheels you chose, you might even have to trim at the pinch weld with them.

Haven't been impressed with the Terras though ... poor traction off road and on road in the rain. I realy liked the Toyo M/Ts that I ran in a 33.5" LT295/70R17, but their 73 pound weight, cost me 2 mpg compared to stock. The Trail Grapplers weigh almost as much.

My experience with the BFG A/T KO was excellent until their last quarter of their tread, when they became extreamly slick in the rain, (even with 300 pounds of sand in the bed). I would buy them again though, since before they got crazy slick the were the best all round tire I've had on the Titan. They were in LT285/70R17 D. They were like the Terra's in the looks ... fairly agressive but just not there.

For a M/T, I would definitely like to try the BFG M/T KM2 over the Trails, but I'll probably end up getting the DuraTracs, which have an agressive look for an A/T.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry NoCal, I'm still new to this but what does the aftermarket gears do? Will that improve MPG by pushing heavier tires I'm assuming?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Sorry NoCal, I'm still new to this but what does the aftermarket gears do? Will that improve MPG by pushing heavier tires I'm assuming?
Larger diameter tires, change the gearing, so a higer ratio, (lower gears), will return the power and keep your torque converter locking up at the correct time.

The power loss isn't a big deal for many, because the Titan has a lot of power, and the other modifications like exhausts, headers, tuners, etc, can make up for the added weight of most tires, and higher overall gearing.
Btw, the higher overall gearing could give someone that drove on flat freeways, for long distances better gas mileage.

But the torque converter lockup issue can only be addressed with aftermarket gearing, (or smaller tires). I get hessitation of going into overdrive with my 34's, but didn't with the 33.5's. It's pretty mild with my Big Tow 3.36 gears, but with the non BT 2.94 gears and 35's you can drop out of OD on just slight hills. So for mixed driving most will get better gas mileage with aftermarket gears that return the overall gearing to near stock, because their OD is working when it should.

I plan to drop to a smaller diameter since there aren't gears yet for my 4x4's front differential, and the one's most likely to be released first, are too high of a ratio, (4.10), for 34's and 35's IMO. If they are too high you get more power, but worse mileage. I would like something in the 3.55 to 3.73 range. If I towed a lot in the mountains, the 3.73.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts