Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys -

I need new tires for my bone-stock '04 Titan KK with the 4x4 package. Truck is just a weekend driver and tow vehicle for our 25' travel trailer.

I am currently running 285/70R17. Replacements in this same size are running several hundred dollars more than similar 265/70R17.

Can I run the 265s as an economical replacement? If so, what should I be aware of?

Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
265's are the OEM tire, so you shouldn't have any problem with them. The one thing I would look out for though, is usually a 265 tire is a P rated tire, not the greatest for towing with. I would look for an LT tire in that size if you can find one. It will have a stiffer sidewall, much better for towing

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
265's are the OEM tire, so you shouldn't have any problem with them. The one thing I would look out for though, is usually a 265 tire is a P rated tire, not the greatest for towing with. I would look for an LT tire in that size if you can find one. It will have a stiffer sidewall, much better for towing
Thanks for the quick reply!

A local tire shop is offering a special on four Kelly Edge AT Light Truck 265/70r17s for $485 installed. This is almost half of what I've seen similar 285s going for, which is why I am intrigued.

Aside from a slight speed difference, any other considerations for going down to 265s? Also, any thoughts on these Kelly's?

Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
64 Posts
My 06 CC had 285 70r17 oem tires. I've been running 265 70r17 winter tires for years. I don't tow anything heavy though. It will have a small affect on speedometer and odometer. I'd go for it at the price you're looking at.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Keep in mind you get what you pay for. Tires are not something you want to scrimp on, especially if you are pulling a trailer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts