Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys thinking of putting on some new rims and tires. Since I just bought the truck and have not even seen it yet - on detail, I am wondering how fitment is with this truck. The truck is an 04 LE 4x4 off road. I was wanting some black rims. I like the look of these Pro Comp Series 7189 Cast-Blast Wheels - Xtreme Alloy Cast-Blast Wheels, Pro Comp Wheel . I was thinking of putting on 33's either Toyo MT's or Nitto Trail Grappler MT's. What do you guys think of this setup? What tire sizes will I need? What size rims do you think I should get? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey guys thinking of putting on some new rims and tires. Since I just bought the truck and have not even seen it yet - on detail, I am wondering how fitment is with this truck. The truck is an 04 LE 4x4 off road. I was wanting some black rims. I like the look of these Pro Comp Series 7189 Cast-Blast Wheels - Xtreme Alloy Cast-Blast Wheels, Pro Comp Wheel . I was thinking of putting on 33's either Toyo MT's or Nitto Trail Grappler MT's. What do you guys think of this setup? What tire sizes will I need? What size rims do you think I should get? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
It all depends on your wheel specs. Do you plan on doing any lift or just stock. If you are staying stock then 33's would be the way to go. 18's are a good size with a 9" width. Try to find wheels closer to stock specs, meaning that the tires are going to be tucked in. If you want the negative offset look just plan on doing a pinch weld mod (PWM) cause the tires will rub. Like I said if you stay close to stock specs (I think its 5.5 BS don't quote me on that one. NorCal 4x4 can help you with that :)) you should be fine. I have 33's on a 2WD with a 2.5" spacer with a -12 offset and there is minor rubbing at the PW, that would be where the front mud flaps are; the inner liner if your truck has them. Toyo's are well proven and so far good reviews on the trail grapplers and my guess is that they weigh approx the same since both companies are the sister of the other. hope this helps!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts

Thanks
Those look nice, but even with a 33.5" LT295/70R17 you will need to do the pinch weld mod, because of the rims' backspacing, (rims sticking out cause the tires to rub when the steering wheel is turned towards full lock). The 17x8" have a 4.5" backspacing and the 17x9" have a 5" backspacing, a little better, but because they are an inch wider they will stick out 1/2" more than the 8s ... so worse rubbing.

The pinch weld mod isn't a big thing if you don't mind cutting some of the inner fender off. But if you do mind, and worth checking out anyway since they have a $50 off sale on wheels currently ... V-Tec Off Road 17x8.5"

These have OEM backspacing, but are 1/2 wider than the SE/LE, and 1" wider than Off Road rims, so they still may rub slightly, but probably not, and they'd be curred a lot easier than the Pro Comps.

Edit ... a 2" leveling kit will help too. You will need more trimming in either case without one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the feedback. Do you think I should go with the 17 inch rims then and not 18? Also how does backspacing work? I have never bought aftermarket rims. I would like to go black on black with toyos. I could care less about trimming witha sawsall, it sounds fun. Right now I am running 33 inch dayton timberline mt's on the fronty. I am also thinking on doind the leveling kit. What are the advantages of it? do they have one for 4x4? Do you have to mess with steering on the install?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I like more tire sidewall, especially for a smaller diameter tire, such as a 33. So 17s for my Titan.

Backspacing is how far the rim sticks in from the mounting surface towards the spindle.

Stock backspacing is close to 5.5" for all of the OEM Titan rims. If the backspacing on an aftermarket wheel is 4.5" and the rims are the same width as the stock rim, then because the inside edge of the rim sticks in 1" less, the outside sticks out 1" more. If the wheel is also an inch wider, then it sticks out 2" more.

Sticking rims out by less backspacing or wider width, or both, usually means that Kartman's pinch-weld-mod is needed. [See post #2].

Level kits give a little more clearance at the pinch weld, and gets rid of most of the forward rake, or "stink bug" look. The 2" kit is the correct size for the '04-'07 4x4. The 2wd kit will often cause UCA to coil bucket contact. Btw, they measure shorter, but lift 2". PRG Products
Installation instructions attached. You will need an alignment, (you might get away with just the Toe, which you can do yourself).

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool man thanks for the help it is appreciated. I am thinking of possibly 18's. My buddy did 20's with toyos on his f 150 and it looked really nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts