Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so we got 28" of snow and 4WD works fine. Took it out of 4wd earlier (Street was clear) and when I went to put it back in I got a grinding noise while moving....NO engagement. Stopped truck, its says its engaged, grinding noise is now gone while I move, but NO 4wd. 4 LOW does nothing either (not that I thought it would.

Today is my wifes Due Date for our first child, the streets are jacked, and my truck has let me down big time.

Luckily I'm a FF and have a lot of friends that can help me out but still, I'm paying how much $$$ for a 2wd turd.

PS - Have had TONS of problems with my truck...

Reactions: tnpharmd

·
Registered
800 Posts
dam man, I hope you and your wife have a healthy child> blessing in disguise that your a FF and have friends that can help you out. Have you looked underneath your truck ? Hopefully its just alot of snow packed in there and turned to a solid block of ice that you need to remove/thaw out.

on a side note what other problems are you having since you brought it up?

·
Registered
406 Posts
unbelevably i have a similar story including the baby except i managed to get mine home during the blizzard however we had to take my son back out today for a blood test and upon doing so i realized my 4wd had stopped working. i'm pissed

·
Registered
406 Posts
As a side note can anyone tell me what an out of warranty front diff is likely to cost me? I've already had one of the front axle shafts pull out. I fixed it but i'm thinking that its likely the cause of my issue based on everything i read. Reading copious amounts of front diff threads i've seem to think that the grinding sound you heard is the 4wd solenoid energizing but not being succesful engaging the 4wd, the reason it displays you are in 4wd is because electronically it is, however mechanically it is not.

I also sympathize with your annoyance at your truck, mine is 6 years old and i'm still aggravated that snow is seemingly the cause of its failure

·
Registered
208 Posts
The Titan has some major problems that Nissan will not recognize, unless it is under warranty. I guess the "Nissan reliability" is similar to "Toyota's reliability". I wish I would have bought a newer Dodge Ram.

·
Registered
800 Posts
the majority of titan owners including me has not experience the front diff. failure, i am in and out of 4 wheel drive (hi and lo) all winter long and have been since dec. 05'. I have accidently driven in 4 hi on pavement for 50 plus miles, driven through 24" and up to over 3' of snow(powder) and never had a problem engageing or disengaging 4 wd, even with 20" wheels. now if this were happening to me i would take it up with the dealership/nissan and if they couldn't or wouldn't help or fix the problem, i would check to see if the problem falls under the "Lemon Law". Bottom line I would be trading that truck in if you have exhausted all avenues. Granted this does't help any of you in your current situation but something to consider especially if you have "babies or young children" that could be endangered.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I use 4wd almost daily, 104K miles later still works just fine.

·
Premium Member
72,890 Posts
I put mine in 4WD on occation just to keep things "limbered up". Don't know if it does any good, just something I do...:dunno:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I exercise my transfer case regularly, and its been working fine ALL winter...until today.

I crawled under the truck thinking it was a lot of snow or something too but saw nothing...

I'm just pissed right now. I have 45K on the truck and have a full warranty until Dec 2012 or 100,000 miles. I will NOT own the truck after the warranty runs out..I'm VERY disappointed.

·
Registered
786 Posts
i have had a ton of problems on mine as well. i feel your pain. i had the same problem with my 04 f-150. it would try to engage itself and make a horrible noise. sometimes it woudl sound like i was dragging a tree under it. i don't remember the cost of the fix, but it wasn't bad. shoud be covered under your warranty. i'm less than 2 k from my 100,000 mile warranty. its going in the yard and i'm going to run my girls altima as we are getting her a new ride. i won't own another nissan after this truck. i left a real bad taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The Titan has some major problems that Nissan will not recognize, unless it is under warranty. I guess the "Nissan reliability" is similar to "Toyota's reliability". I wish I would have bought a newer Dodge Ram.
finally i find some people on here that agree with me. i get **** on for talking bad about these titans.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Oops, i must have stumbled upon the WAH thread. My bad.

For what its worth you bought first and second year trucks. Thats usually what happens with any 1st or 2nd year production models of any make or model car or truck. I doubt you can by any vehicle these days that is 100% problem free. Thats why they make extended warrantys. Fortunatly my 1st year model isn't one of them.

Reactions: BiggAL

·
Registered
406 Posts

For what its worth you bought first and second year trucks. Thats usually what happens with any 1st or 2nd year production models of any make or model car or truck. I doubt you can by any vehicle these days that is 100% problem free. Thats why they make extended warrantys. Fortunatly my 1st year model isn't one of them.
those that purchased the truck when it first came out, like me wouldn't have an extended warranty at this point anyway.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
those that purchased the truck when it first came out, like me wouldn't have an extended warranty at this point anyway.
Your right and i don't either but you did knowingly buy a 1st year truck and from my experience this is what happens. This is not the first time i bought a first year model vehicle and the other one was a problem child. I've not had terrible luck with my Titan up til now and if i did i wouldn't be on this forum bad mouthing the truck i chose to buy because i knew what i was buying. Everything is fixable and tradable when problems arise. There are certainly issues i've had that have pi$$ed me off but once again, its a 1st year model. Just be rest assured that there ain't a truck out there problem free, not a Ford, not a Chevy, not a Dodge and not a Toyota.

·
Registered
208 Posts

No, this is Nissan not owning up to its on design flaws, leaving their customers out to fend for themselves after the warranty. That's called not having balls. On a $35,000+ vehicle new, these types of problems should not happen, at least on multiple years. My 2002 Dodge Ram, with double the miles, had less problems with my Titan. i went with the Titan with the idea of having a truck with a more reliable company. I just hope these parts that have been replaced recently (front differential, left rear axle, right rear axle) last for a long time.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
All the trucks have their issues, and if you go to any forum you hear people bltching about their trucks, saying "I shoulda got a dodge" or whatever. The grass isn't greener on the other side guys. I had tonnes of issues with my old ford and know a few people with F150s who have problems, same with chevs, dodges, and toyotas. My buddy's 'O6 ram had been out of commission for 3 months with constant problems and cost him a fortune only 10K miles out of warranty. The worst thing I had was cracked manifold and a couple seal leaks, all fixed under warranty. No major problems (knock on wood) yet at 77K miles. Some people had worse luck, but that happens with every brand...some get unlucky. And a few of those people will always come on the forums and badmouth the truck no matter what happens. Well guys, sorry but there is no magic vehicle where nothing ever breaks down. Sure, the titan has its faults, but so do all the brands. I got the extended warranty, because I researched what common problems existed before buying. And after that warranty is up at 100K, I will just keep up with the maintenance and accept the fact that things break after time. I don't know what you want us to say... I don't like my Titan any less just because there are people having bad luck. That can happen with any truck. P.S. A new front dif at the stealers will probably cost $1500 or so.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Badmouthing the Titan on a Titan site with people that absolutely love their trucks will not get you much support. If your just asking for answers and prices and help we'll bend over backwards. Thats why people take it personal. Sh!t happens and i'm sorry more has happened to you than others but its the luck of the draw. I've had issues with at least (2) other brand pickup trucks with repeated problems and they were never recalled or worked any majic to fix it. I wish you luck and hope you change your mind about the Titan.

·
Registered
786 Posts
i agree that 1st and 2nd year models have problems. but to not fix them by year 3-4-5 is a direct reflection of how a company does business. i'm not happy with nissan in general, the altima that my girl drives has had nothing but problems with the tranny since 60k. i have had alot of work done on it and it still slips between 2nd and 3rd. they claimed that the have been making trucks forever and that this truck was this and that. well it wasn't. they used diffs that are not large enough for the power and leaf spring packs that can't handle a 4 banger. how many years of failed brakes and failed manifolds does it take before they fix them. this truck could kick all others *** if they would just wake up and fix the known problems. make the drivetrain more beefy, i hope that when they decide to make the next generation that they think long and hard about thier first try and don't do it again. unfortunatly the damage may have been done. it really is to bad, the first 15k was great, after that has been one trip to the dealer after another.

Reactions: kevink619

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
and leaf spring packs that can't handle a 4 banger
Thats a new one for me. What issue did you have with your leaf springs??

·
Registered
542 Posts
The line for the front diff bandwagon forms at the back. Take a number and have a check ready for $1300 when you're called. :teethmast

All kidding aside, good luck with your problem, and I hope for that (small) chance you'll have a simple, cheap resolution.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts