Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey folks, i'm curious to how the 4x4 system works exactly. in 4H, is only one front wheel and the opposite rear providing the power unless traction is lost to one, hence the term limited slip diff? sorry for the noob question, but hey i'm new to the titan/4x4 scene.

thanks
craig

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
wheel with the least amount of resistance on either axle gets the traction.

Our trucks don't have limited slip differentials we have open differentials. If one tire looses traction it gets all the power. unless you have the e-locker. but that only works in 4 Low.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The answer by Just-In is incorrect.

You may have a limited slip rear differential; that is an option with either 4x4's or 4x2's, so you can have it or you cannot. If you do, the wheel with traction gets the power (the wheel with the MOST resistance, that is); if you don't, it's the opposite.
The front differential, when in 4x4 mode (either H or L) will transfer power to both front wheels simultaneously; no slip differential here. That is why you should never use 4x4 in dry pavement, you will granade the front differential in the first turn (when the wheels travel at different speed).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Bandala said:

You may have a limited slip rear differential; that is an option with either 4x4's or 4x2's, so you can have it or you cannot. If you do, the wheel with traction gets the power (the wheel with the MOST resistance, that is); if you don't, it's the opposite.
The front differential, when in 4x4 mode (either H or L) will transfer power to both front wheels simultaneously; no slip differential here. That is why you should never use 4x4 in dry pavement, you will granade the front differential in the first turn (when the wheels travel at different speed).

Hope this helps.
Technically we have an open diff, no matter what options you have. But we do have the abls that will apply the brake to the wheel with the least amount of traction, therefore tranfering power to the wheel with the most traction. Except I think in 4 lo the abls is deactivated, that is when the e-locker comes in.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
helomech said:
But we do have the abls that will apply the brake to the wheel with the least amount of traction, therefore tranfering power to the wheel with the most traction. Except I think in 4 lo the abls is deactivated, that is when the e-locker comes in.
yeah... and that fugger don't do **** when you've got one wheel off the ground I can vouch for that. do you know how embarrassing it is to call a chebby to rescue you because you've got one front wheel in a rut and one *** wheel off the ground. ( I have a 2wd)

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
Just-in said:
yeah... and that fugger don't do **** when you've got one wheel off the ground I can vouch for that. do you know how embarrassing it is to call a chebby to rescue you because you've got one front wheel in a rut and one *** wheel off the ground. ( I have a 2wd)
That really sucks......:cheers:

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Just-in said:
It's not good to hold back you know. You should learn to let your feelings out and tell people what you really think.....

:informati

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Just-in said:
Then you should have sprung for the 4WD model. Not sure what year truck you have but.....if you have the rear wheel ABLS (4X4 models have it in front as well), it most certainly will send power to the wheel on the ground as long as you give it light throttle since WOT overpowers the brake on the wheel in the air. Is it as good as an actually LSD rear end?...no, but it's nowhere near as crappy as an open diff w/o it.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Bandala said:

Hope this helps.

As mentioned, no Titan has a Limited Slip rear differential. They're open diffs with electronic Active Brake Limited Slip. Your front diff on the 4X4s is the same....open but with ABLS electronics involved. And no, lol....you won't "grenade" your front diff using it on dry pavement. You'll certainly scuff the inside tire and put unwanted stress on the axles if you turn on dry pavement while in 4WD though....and that's because, unlike AWD or full time 4WD, we have no center differential to compensate for the difference between the front and rear wheel speed while turning. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
Bandala said:

Umm.... No Titan comes with a LSD, they are all open. OR models come with an selectable locker. Traction equipped come with ABLS, which is brake activated and has nothing to do with the differential.

The front differential in all models is open. Power is transfered to it in the same manner as the rear. Being in 4WD has no effect on the front diff, the danger in driving in 4WD on dry pavement is because of the transfer case. The part-time x-case has no differential to account for speed differences between the front and rear, which causes binding when turning on surfaces with traction.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
Then you should have sprung for the 4WD model. Not sure what year truck you have but.....if you have the rear wheel ABLS (4X4 models have it in front as well), it most certainly will send power to the wheel on the ground as long as you give it light throttle since WOT overpowers the brake on the wheel in the air. Is it as good as an actually LSD rear end?...no, but it's nowhere near as crappy as an open diff w/o it.
Besides having a true LSD the ABLS isn't that bad. What really holds the Titan back in thick goop is the stock tires.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
anmut said:
Besides having a true LSD the ABLS isn't that bad. What really holds the Titan back in thick goop is the stock tires.

I hated my BFG Rugged Trails. I replaced them with the Bridgestone Dueller REVOs and was much happier. The ABLS is more of an aid. It won't do the work of a true LSD, but mine has worked just fine for me...although I don't do any major OR or rock climbing...lol.

ABLS is a preference thing as well as being dependent on its use. Some folks think it's useless...for their needs. I find it quite helpful....just don't WOT it.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Youtube has quite the collection of Titans going through some pretty bad a55 mud in what looks like stock format. Impressive!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
meh... I never do enough wheeling to justify it. Maybe on the next truck if I move up to snow country which I'd like too and get my big ol' travel trailer. I was just giving it light throttle but it was no use lol.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Just-in said:
meh... I never do enough wheeling to justify it. Maybe on the next truck if I move up to snow country which I'd like too and get my big ol' travel trailer. I was just giving it light throttle but it was no use lol.
What year truck? Are you sure you have the rear ABLS? I know in later models it was an option.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Just-in said:
I beleive that you have to be over a certain speed for the abls to work.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
helomech said:
I beleive that you have to be over a certain speed for the abls to work.
ABLS works at any speed I believe....at least anything under 40 MPH. From a stop, I find it works decent in snow. But floor it and, although you still get the SLIP light, you overpower the brake and it won't help.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts