Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from CNN.com today, article about a consumer reports story.

"Consumer Reports' "Bad bets" for making 200,000 miles: BMW 7-series, Infiniti QX56, Jaguar X-type, V8-powered Mercedes-Benz M-class, Mercedes-Benz SL, Nissan Armada, Nissan Titan, Volkswagen Touareg, V6-powered Volvo XC90."

money.cnn.com/2007/08/30/autos/cr_drive_200k/index.htm?postversion=2007083113

·
Super Moderator
161,766 Posts
Re: Titan a "Bad Bet"

I'd take that bet. And I'll keep my Titan.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts

Consumer Reports.....ho hum.......They just can't read the writing that is on the wall. Titan owners generally love their rides, it won the J D Power Apeal awards a couple years ago. Many changes since the 04, the only one they ever seem to consider. Spend your time elsewhere, like riding around in your Titan! You'll enjoy your life more... :)

·
Premium Member
31,979 Posts

There must be a mistake...Ford isn't on that list.:lol:

·
Registered
196 Posts

More crap from Consumer Reports. Any newer car can go 200k if the owner maintains it. I traded a 7 series BMW on my Titan and the BMW chat rooms are full of people with over 200k miles on theirs. Most are DIY fanatics and gifted mechanics. As for the Titan, it is light years ahead of the BMW in ease and cost of maintenance. I know mine will go 200k without much cost or effort. It probably won't be me driving it towards the end - I always get distracted by a newer body style after 6 or 8 years. Same thing happens with my significant others.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Titan makes least likely to go 200,000

I own one like the rest of you guys. This is what it said.

Consumer Reports' "Bad bets" for making 200,000 miles: BMW 7-series, Infiniti QX56, Jaguar X-type, V8-powered Mercedes-Benz M-class, Mercedes-Benz SL, Nissan Armada, Nissan Titan, Volkswagen Touareg, V6-powered Volvo XC90.

Anyone out there with a high mileage Titan?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Re: Titan makes least likely to go 200,000

Titanblk07 said:
I own one like the rest of you guys. This is what it said.

Consumer Reports' "Bad bets" for making 200,000 miles: BMW 7-series, Infiniti QX56, Jaguar X-type, V8-powered Mercedes-Benz M-class, Mercedes-Benz SL, Nissan Armada, Nissan Titan, Volkswagen Touareg, V6-powered Volvo XC90.

Anyone out there with a high mileage Titan?
Did they give any reasons?

·
Premium Member
58,707 Posts

Consumers Reports tested the 04 Titan. They have not tested any of the 05-08 Titans. They continue to base all of their opinions on testing of the start up year model. They don't seem to notice that Nissan has addressed nearly all of their concerns. I am a subscriber to Consumers Reports and they have been very helpful in the past, but their opinion of the Titan is outdated and misleading.

·
Registered
108 Posts

My wife suscribes to Consumer Reports. I don't pay much attention to any of their automotive reporting/advice. They think of autos/trucks as being just a bigger appliance and I think they develop bias based on testing just one sample of an auto manufacturer's product. For example, pay attention to how they "project" reliability of a new model. For almost any new Chrysler, Ford, GM, Nissan, Mazda, and some other brands, they say the vehicle is too new to predict reliabilty. For almost any new Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Acura, and a few other brands, they say "based on the previous vehicle, this vehicle is predicted to be reliable". I'm really not sure that I completely buy their clain to not accept compensation from manuafaturers for a lot of what they do.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Just traded in my 2005 for my 2008.

I went through lots of problems with my 2005. The biggest pain was the brakes.
But even with those problems I was still happier with my Titan than any other Chevy or Ford truck I have owned.
The fact that I went right back and bought another confirms this.
I also see lots of others doing the same.:cheers:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Hey fellas I wasn't bashing the rig just passing along what I thought was interesting info.

I am a proud owner of the dreaded 2004 Model and so far have had zero issues other than the brakes that have been replaced once under recall/warranty by Nissan. I plan on going with the big brake upgrade when they go again. I do only have about 26k on her so far so I'm sure my particular rig will rust away on the New England salt cover roads long before I reach 200,000 miles. It would take me about 20 years!
It's my daily driver, and TT tow rig, and I plan on driving it into the ground.
Heck, my buddy's already been through 1 Chevy, 1 GMC, and just got a new Tundra in the time I've had my Titan.

It would be cool to hear from any high milage Titans out there to see how it's holding up.

·
Registered
511 Posts

Quartz said:
Consumers Reports tested the 04 Titan. They have not tested any of the 05-08 Titans. They continue to base all of their opinions on testing of the start up year model. They don't seem to notice that Nissan has addressed nearly all of their concerns. I am a subscriber to Consumers Reports and they have been very helpful in the past, but their opinion of the Titan is outdated and misleading.
I believe you are exactly correct. They did not test it in their recent truck comparison either.

When one looks at there data, the engine and drive train achieved the highest rating while the body panels and brakes were rated poorly. One would think the engine and drive train would be a big factor in longevity, not brakes. One would think they would do a little homework with all the "scientists" they have on staff.

IMO there a bunch of tree huggers with an agenda. It would be nice to see them update their data set since it is basically 4 years out of date.

They have been back peddling for a number of months now on their car seat reviews.

·
Registered
436 Posts

Venom that truck is great looking!

·
Registered
138 Posts

Just turned over 50K on my '04. Other than the brakes - hey a free set of brakes at 20k miles didn't bother me at all - it's been perfect.
Until I see one of the forecasted half ton diesels, why would I ever give it up?

·
Registered
257 Posts

blavis said:
There must be a mistake...Ford isn't on that list.:lol:
lol, thats what i thought, but fords prob will spontaneously combust before they get to 200k. on the other had i am contradicting my self i just bought a ford probe the other day(the 94 in my sig)with 201k on the clock

either way i don't care what is said about the titan, i love it to death. i will keep it until there is nothing left, if i need a new engine i will put in 100 if i have to but i don't see any problems with this engine. also i am surprised tundra isn't on that list with transmissions that are bad with 10 miles on them and the cams snapping.

·
Banned
27,783 Posts

Chances are most vehicles won't make it to 200,000!!

This survey is a joke!!

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts

Still clicking the miles and getting better !!!!!!!

Nuff said !!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts

55,000 + on my 04 and I farm out of it. Which means it spends lots of hours running in 100 degree heat with the AC wide open. No problems except brake replacement and a annoying rattle from the emergency brake pedal. My buddy down the road has an 04 with about 110,000 miles on and he farms in it too. We both are going back with a Titan next time. This is what I say to comsumer reports:hahafu:

·
Registered
468 Posts

I remember reading the CR automotive buyers guide, and while the Titan and Armada were rated as bad bets, no connection was made to a 200,000 mile expectation.

I think it's an example of one group of pundits forming an opinion from another.

The real damage is the existence of the perception itself.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts