Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a pair of bed boxes from a forum member a few weeks ago - fantastic deal. Since then, I have ordered two recodable locks from Nissan, but they are on back order. I plan on installing the boxes next weekend, and will continue to follow up on recoding the locks. However, my question pertains to rivnuts. The installation involves use of 2X M8 and 2X M6 rivnuts into each bed side. I am reviewing the following M6 and M8 rivnuts and would appreciate some feedback on suitability from folks who have installed the accessory bed boxes on their Titans. I don't have direct experience using rivnuts, but it is not a complicated issue for me.

M6 Rivnuts

M8 Rivnut

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How do you edit your posts? The previous forum format was straightforward; it is not obvious on the redesigned format.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I bought a pair of bed boxes from a forum member a few weeks ago - fantastic deal. Since then, I have ordered two recordable locks from Nissan, but they are on back order. I plan on installing the boxes next weekend, and will continue to follow up on recoding the locks. However, my question pertains to rivnuts. The installation involves use of 2X M8 and 2X M6 rivnuts into each bed side. I am reviewing the following M6 and M8 rivnuts and would appreciate some feedback on suitability from folks who have installed the accessory bed boxes on their Titans. I don't have direct experience using rivnuts, but it is not a complicated issue for me.

M6 Rivnuts

M8 Rivnut
How did this turn out? How difficult was the installation? And how did the code able locks work? I’ve been debating on getting some boxes and I figured I would have to get code able locks as well since they didn’t come with the truck. Do you use the key that’s on your remote or do you get a new key with the boxes or locks?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My boxes are still sitting uninstalled. I was seriously looking to get into a 20 or 21 a few months ago. Every time I went to a dealership, I changed my mind as my truck rides exceptionally well. So, perhaps this Spring, the boxes will go in. I already have a pair of codable lock kits. I just need to source the correct hardware (rivnuts and bolts). Nissan sells the hardware kits at close to $100 per side. The type of hardware is included in the installation manual attached and I am sure, can be sourced locally.

The installation does not appear to be difficult at all, based on instructions. The security key in the remote is used to code the locks. There are no keys included with the lock kits. Just the cylinder assembly and the hex locking nut. I have attached the Nissan manual and the coding instructions sent to me by the supplier.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
My boxes are still sitting uninstalled. I was seriously looking to get into a 20 or 21 a few months ago. Every time I went to a dealership, I changed my mind as my truck rides exceptionally well. So, perhaps this Spring, the boxes will go in. I already have a pair of codable lock kits. I just need to source the correct hardware (rivnuts and bolts). Nissan sells the hardware kits at close to $100 per side. The type of hardware is included in the installation manual attached and I am sure, can be sourced locally.

The installation does not appear to be difficult at all, based on instructions. The security key in the remote is used to code the locks. There are no keys included with the lock kits. Just the cylinder assembly and the hex locking nut. I have attached the Nissan manual and the coding instructions sent to me by the supplier.
Thanks for all the info. After looking at the installation sheet it doesn’t look too difficult. Hopefully it’s a one man job and the boxes aren’t as heavy as they look. So if I were to purchase used Boxes from someone, I would have to buy new codable locks, and the nuts and bolts to secure the boxes in the bed correct? But if I were to buy new I shouldn’t have to buy any parts, no locks, no nuts and bolts right?

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
1,691 Posts
if i found a good deal on those boxes, i think i would get them too. they seem useful for the small kind of stuff i would be carrying.

right now, i have a black aluminum box, like for a trailer or one you would put in the bed so its not above the rails. i drilled the bottom so i could put four bolts with large washers and mount it to the floor rails anywhere in the bed i want it. it works really good and is not visible without looking in the bed

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for all the info @aba4430 i think I might be closing in on a set on marketplace. Do you have a part number handy for the hardware and codable locks? Because I think I’m seeing 2 different part numbers for the locks. And I would have to order 2 of the locks as well right? I would assume they are sold individually.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The codable locks I have are P/N 999T1W3777A; you will need two. The H/W kit P/N is 999T1W3755 and based on my information you need two kits, one per box. Ignore the accessory connector harnesses in the attached image.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You’re the man @aba4430, you’re really helping me with my decision to get a set. One last question, I hope, about the locks.. I’ve searched on here, the XD forum, google and Nissan publications to no avail.. is there anywhere whether the lock kit it self, or hardware kit, does it have instructions on how to take out old locks and install the new locks into the boxes? And by ignition key it means the old school key that’s NOT apart of the fob? Correct?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You will see the locking washer and hex nut in the image of one lock kit. That is what secures the lock from inside the box. I can take a picture of the box tomorrow to assist with this. Basically you unscrew the washer/nut and take the old lock out. However, I also recommend working with a lock smith to see if the existing locks on the boxes can be coded to your security key.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here are some pictures.
  1. Lock part visible outside the box with protective cap off.
  2. Catch inside box, not box cover.
  3. Close up of the locking mechanism on box cover. The lock is within a diecast body and is secured with a locking washer and hex nut.
  4. Couple more shots from different angles. There is a metal plate covering the front (in the pictures) of the lock (actually the back) that will need to be removed to get the lock out. You will note the nut/bolt holding that plate.
IMG_2464.jpg IMG_2465.jpg IMG_2472.jpg IMG_2469 (002).jpg IMG_2467 (002).jpg

·
Registered
275 Posts
Here are some pictures.
  1. Lock part visible outside the box with protective cap off.
  2. Catch inside box, not box cover.
  3. Close up of the locking mechanism on box cover. The lock is within a diecast body and is secured with a locking washer and hex nut.
  4. Couple more shots from different angles. There is a metal plate covering the front (in the pictures) of the lock (actually the back) that will need to be removed to get the lock out. You will note the nut/bolt holding that plate.
View attachment 549239 View attachment 549241 View attachment 549243 View attachment 549244 View attachment 549246
Thanks @aba4430, I owe you a beer after all this help, I really appreciate it. I’m going to order the locks and hardware through an online Nissan dealer soon especially since they have the promo going on.

2 things I’ve noticed is: a lot of XD owners remove their Titan boxes usually relatively soon after purchase, and they usually forget to mention they’re from an XD in their ad. 2 sets have been shot down because of that reason.
And the second thing: when you post a want to buy thread on here, you get all sorts of random spam messages telling you to email this other person followed by an email address from a guy that just joined an hour ago lol.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The codable locks I have are P/N 999T1W3777A; you will need two. The H/W kit P/N is 999T1W3755 and based on my information you need two kits, one per box. Ignore the accessory connector harnesses in the attached image.
Hey @aba4430, which online dealer did you get your locks through? And how long ago? I had ordered some but they got canceled because they didn’t have any available😒 and I think I might have some boxes narrowed down, comes with hardware except for the rivet nuts. Do you know which specific type and or size rivet nut is needed? And where did you purchase yours if you have?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought mine from Wright Nissan in Wexford (Pittsburgh area) in Sep/Oct 2019. It was a drawn out affair. They were considered special order. The dealer will validate that you are the owner, get your VIN etc., but any dealer should be able to order the locks. They may try to give you the run around, but keep at them. Here is the link from the Nissan site:
Codeable Lock

This is the price at Wright Nissan
Wright Nissan

I have not brought the hardware as yet. Based on the instruction manual and images of the Rivnuts, I believe they are pre-bulbed (zinc plated) steel Rivnuts. You will 2X M8 and 2X M6 Rivnuts; am not sure of the specs. The bolts are M8 X 1.25 X 33 mm and M6 X 1.00 X 25 mm. The initial post above has a couple of links for the Rivnuts.

·
Registered
275 Posts
So I finally got some boxes, from a ‘19 with a bed cover so the boxes are in very good condition. Just waiting on rivnuts and locks to get in. So @aba4430 or anyone who has experience with these, I’m having an issue getting the circled part out, I believe that’s what you have to unscrew to get the plate off to slide the lock out correct? I noticed our nut and bolts are not the same. Any insight will be appreciated guys.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your set up is riveted and you will have to drill it out and replace with a M6 bolt, I think (not sure, looks small for an M8 bolt etc.), and a nyloc nut, or conventional locking washer and nut.

We are covered in snow and I will not be able to get my boxes installed until Spring at least; another few weeks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Your set up is riveted and you will have to drill it out and replace with a M6 bolt, I think (not sure, looks small for an M8 bolt etc.), and a nyloc nut, or conventional locking washer and nut.

We are covered in snow and I will not be able to get my boxes installed until Spring at least; another few weeks.
Thanks @aba4430 i think I owe you a 6-pack by now. I’ll give that a shot, hopefully the rest of my materials will be in by the end of the week and I’ll get mine put in this weekend when we have 60 degree weather, not even 2 days removed from a 4 day ice storm🙄

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
1,691 Posts
why don' t you loosen the nut that holds the lock barrel in place and slide the lock through the front? you probably are not supposed to drill out those rivets. those dark plates do not come off to change lock assemblies, they are just like the locks on a truck tool box mounted on the bed, or for a tool box in your garage. is it a 15/16" open end wrench and once you get it slightly loose, you should be able to turn the nut by hand.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You don't owe me anything man. I hope your install goes well. Information, helpful or otherwise needs to be shared openly. Folks can learn from mistakes others have experienced etc. Please post up some pictures when you are done. I am sure it will give me motivation to get mine done.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts