Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a lot of searching on the forum and haven't found a detailed solution so here is my question:

Has anyone successfully fixed the truck bed storage rust issue? I'm looking at buying a new door and storage box but how do you actually prevent the rust from coming back down the road? If I could actually find a white bed without the storage box in good shape I would just go that route.

·
Premium Member
19,271 Posts
Add paint before you install it? Spray it with Fluid Film each fall? My '07 had some rust on the bedside toolbox, but not much. The truck was washed frequently and as soon after a snowstorm as possible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Add paint before you install it? Spray it with Fluid Film each fall? My '07 had some rust on the bedside toolbox, but not much. The truck was washed frequently and as soon after a snowstorm as possible.
The one I'm looking at comes pre-painted matched to your VIN number. I was curious about keeping salt out as there was mention of seam sealing the box but no details on how to accomplish this. I live in Michigan where salt just hammers our vehicles so trying to take necessary actions.

I was going to buy the box and the door but the door is $300 painted to match and the box is a whopping $6xx dollars. That's a used bed!

·
Premium Member
19,271 Posts
Ouch, that's expensive. I had no idea they would be that much. Mine always had dust and dirt in it so it must have been fairly porous. Anything I stored in there was in a ziplock bag.

I suppose you could try to seal all the seams but I would leave a way for it to drain just in case.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ouch, that's expensive. I had no idea they would be that much. Mine always had dust and dirt in it so it must have been fairly porous. Anything I stored in there was in a ziplock bag.

I suppose you could try to seal all the seams but I would leave a way for it to drain just in case.
I'll have to look into it but it would be nice if it could just be removed and the door left on.... I will never use it.

·
Premium Member
19,271 Posts
I'm sure a body shop could put something over the opening. But could they do it nicely for less than $900? I doubt it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
At some point I will be replacing that entire panel on my truck with one that doesn't have the STUPIDEST thing I have seen on a truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts