Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it seems like the winters have been getting colder and colder year after year so now that I work nights I usually leave for work at the coldest time of the evening and I park outside and when I start the truck it always starts but it seems like its rougher on the engine so I decided to invest in a block heater but with the research ive done the results have been disappointing.

I've done some googling around and it looks like Nissan doesnt really like to sell them in the U.S vs Canada and it looks like its a freeze plug type of heater where you actually need to punch out the freeze plug and glue in the new one or whatever, So I did a generic google search for nissan block heater and came up on a site for an sr20de block heater install, on that one one of the freeze plugs actually unscrews out of block pictured below

Its right under the red tube on the right side,

So I figured the titan should have one of these as well, after searching around my block for a few minutes I finally found the screw in freeze plug pictured below

Its located right under the passenger side exhaust manifold right behind the alternator, on my truck it'll be a piece of cake to put in because of the SAS and no fender lining.

So according to the sr20 install thread I found all you need to do is unscrew it and screw in the freeze plug, various pictures below or the SR20 block heater install

From nissanparts.org the block heater kit is only $25.25 (part number 999M4-YA002) which actually lists it for a Q45 vs a couple hundred bucks for the Titan one for those who can find it. So I went ahead and ordered it and it was $38.19 shipped! Can't wait to install it!

Alex

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
From nissanparts.org the block heater kit is only $25.25 (part number 999M4-YA002) which actually lists it for a Q45 vs a couple hundred bucks for the Titan one for those who can find it. So I went ahead and ordered it and it was $38.19 shipped! Can't wait to install it!

Nice find. Somebody previously posted a different part number that was $150+ at courtesyparts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know this is reviving an old thread, but I have recently been looking for a Nissan factory "Engine Block Heater" for my Titan.
I am the Parts Manager at an Infiniti dealership and see that the part# listed in the above DIY pictorial (999M4-YA001) has since been discontinued. There shows to only be one dealership (Anchorage, AK) in the entire country that still has one in stock.

Since then, I have done some investigating and today found some parts that appear to be correct for what I am looking for.

Part# 11001-6P70A - Engine Block Heater (MSRP = $44.32 +TAX)
Part# 24076-3JA0A - Block Heater Cord (MSRP = $68.95 +TAX)

Grand Total: $113.27 (+tax) MSRP for both parts

IF anyone is interested in these, I will sell for le$$. P/M me for details

Reactions: TitanBlue

·
Registered
35 Posts
I installed the Engine Block Heater (and Harness) last night...

Took just about an hour to complete.

Tools used/needed:

1/2" drive, 12mm Allen Socket
1/2" drive, Swivel Head Ratched (24" long handle)
1/2" drive, Socket Extension (2" long)
1/2" drive, 24mm Socket (can also use Box-end Wrench)
3/8" drive, 10mm Socket
3/8" drive Cordless Impact Gun
Cooling System Evacuator & Refill Kit
Safety Glasses

Once the truck was put on the 2-post lift, the only thing necessary to remove from the truck was the under engine gravel-shield. (I drained the Radiator, but later found out that was completely unnecessary). As others have posted, the screw-in "Welch Plug" requires a 12mm Allen Socket to remove it from the block. Note, get yourself a long-handled Ratchet (or cheater pipe) as it was screwed in there pretty good. Once the "Welch Plug" unscrewed, the antifreeze/coolant draining from the block made a BIG MESS (despite prior removal of the radiator cap and lower radiator hose to drain the radiator).

Once the block drained (and I mopped-up the Antifreeze/Coolant mess all over the floor), I screwed-in the new Block Heater Element and tightened with the 6-point, 24mm Socket & Ratchet.

I then plugged-in the Wire Harness and zip-tied to the Alternator Harness and then routed up over the suspension crossmember and then out the right, front bumper tow-hook opening.

Finally, I reinstalled the under engine gravel shield and then evacuated the cooling system and re-filled with 50/50 mix of Antifreeze/Coolant and Water

·
Registered
72 Posts
Scribed. I have to do this in the next few months. Thanks for putting in all the leg work. Fairbanks here I come.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Its really not that bad to do. I just got to fairbanks and did mine in the garage. Mine was really difficult to loosen the freeze plug but other than that it was easy. Keep in mind my t has a 112k on it and has lived in phoenix all its life.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
No i am air force and actually just left phoenix too. I was stationed at luke. I am now at eielson. I am an f16 avionics tech.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I NEED HELP IMMEDIATELY!! i recently attempted following this DIY block heater install seeing as the local dealers cannot even find a block heater for the Titan, let alone know how to install it. I ordered the part from Alaska and was ready to install. There is a "freeze plug" that needs to be removed on the right bank of the engine just behind the alternator. The plug takes a 12mm hex key which I had to purchase. This is a tough spot to try and maneuver so I tried multiple attempts and ended up stripping said plug. My next step was a spiral style extraction drill bit. This proved another fail. Then I tried a "Grabbit" bit which ended up punching a hole right through the freeze plug. I have already drained the coolant from the radiator and reservoir, and now the plug has a hole straight through that is leaking the coolant from the block. Does anyone have any recommendations other than taking it to the shop? I don't want to mess the engine up by releasing metal fragments. That freaking plug is welded in I swear to God. I need help ASAP, and hope I am not going to have to get F'ed in the B...

·
Registered
355 Posts
You might try to find an easy-out that is bigger than the hole. Good luck!

Nobody (well mostly) likes to get F'd in the B..... :)

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I agree with trying a larger easy out. Not sure how you are accessing it, but when I did my header install recently I discovered if you pull the passenger side fender liner out it gives you a great access point to the freeze plug. Wish I would have know that when I installed my block heater.

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
In reference to the difficulty of removal of the Freeze Plug, I would consider one of two approaches. PB Blaster Penetrating Lubricant or applying heat to loosen the possible Loc-Tite Sealant on the original plug. Also, Hex Keys are available in a Socket Style (1/2" Sq Drive for that size I would think).It may be the safest and strongest style considering the position you are working in. "Zero-Stat" and "KATS" seems to be the much cheaper true OEM producer of most of these items, compared to a Nissan labeled version of exact same unit. Both are top quality brands. $42 is in my price range!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts