Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Titan with about 56,000 miles on it. A few months back it started occasionally blowing smoke on start up. Brought it to Nissan and they couldn't find the problem. That didn't stop them from suggesting repairs that had no effect on the problem. Fast forward about 4 months and now it running thru oil fast. Finally get it to smoke at the shop and they all seem shocked. After a few more 'fixes' that don't do a thing they suggest a complete tear down and for me to call Nissan to see if they'll help out. It's under 60k miles...but over 5 years. We get and rental and I call the Philippines and talk to customer support. "Rachel" tells me that my regional rep will call within 24 hours. No call. I give them 48 hours and call back. They're very sorry and will send a message to the rep, he'll call today. No call. Weekend goes by and I call again. They're sending a message to the rep and it's noted in the record that this is my third call. He'll call today. No call. Two weeks after my first call I finally get a call from my regional rep. We discuss the car and he tells me that he'll call the dealership, talk to the service rep and call me back the next day. No call. Call him back after the weekend and he tells me that I need to track down all my service records and then Nissan "might" help, but wants to let me know that they might not as well. Shocking. I've now had a rental for over two weeks while my truck sits at the dealership. Service manager calls me today and we discuss the records. He doesn't sound hopeful that they'll help. Neither do I. The next step if they don't? He recommends a new engine as he thinks the valves are leaking. Why would they be leaking? Uh...lots of sludge. Thing has been running on full synthetic since we bought it.
Cost? ~$8700 parts and labor. For a truck that was probably worth $12k at this point.

Thinking about just selling it for a few grand as is. Worst vehicle and customer experience I've ever had. Should have bought the Toyota.

/rant

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Almost forgot, the rental we have is from the dealership.

Brand new car.

Check engine light just came on.

·
Premium Member
77,859 Posts
Very familiar story with my wife's 09 Sentra. Hers blew white smoke on start up and ran like crap. Dealer was wanting the same info and even went to say it may need a new engine....to the tune of $8k. However, the car is well under warranty, and after they broke into the engine, they found nothing, so they replace the motor on their dime. :dunno: Whatever. It's fixed. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
yep should have bough Toyota because they will replace the engine after the warranty expires.
If the valves are leaking just do a head job and throw some cams in while your in there.

Nice first and second post

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep should have bough Toyota because they will replace the engine after the warranty expires.
If the valves are leaking just do a head job and throw some cams in while your in there.

Nice first and second post
For as irritated as I am with the situation I like the Titan. I did a lot or research before buying it, knew about the break judder,etc but took the chance. Seemed a lot of truck for the money. I had a Tacoma 4x before that was bombproof and was eyeing the Tundra. Got tempted by the great reviews and great price. Never thought I be sitting with a dead engine and nissan giving me the finger.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Ever have any problems with excess cranking w/o starting and/or IPDM relay failure and/or catalytic converter codes?

·
Registered
99 Posts
If it started doing it only at start up and got worse then its probably a bad valve seal.

Never tore down a Nissan V8 so not sure. But many engines you can replace the valve seals with the heads on. Worse case take heads off and have a machine shop go through them and replace the seals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ever have any problems with excess cranking w/o starting and/or IPDM relay failure and/or catalytic converter codes?
Yes to the excess cranking, no to the CAT.

We've had to replace rack and pinion, purge control valve, and evap condenser control valve, ECM relay, AC condenser fan, and our power steering hoses. Oh, and a power window failed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a follow up on this issue.

Got a call from our regional rep to let us know that because we're missing some oil change receipts Nissan America will NOT be able to help us out at all.

After reading some other stories on this forum that didn't come as a surprise.

Anyone want a slightly used Titan with a shot engine?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Maybe ECM relay fails causing excessive cranking, dumping unburned fuel into cats, cats fail, engine backsucks cat grit, engine burns excess oil.

Bunch of Altimas had engine wiped by back sucked cat grit.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just a follow up on this issue.

Got a call from our regional rep to let us know that because we're missing some oil change receipts Nissan America will NOT be able to help us out at all.

After reading some other stories on this forum that didn't come as a surprise.

Anyone want a slightly used Titan with a shot engine?
Have you pulled the plugs yet? If you do/have check to see if any of them are oil covered or do not look like the others. If 1 is bad then its in that cyl.

After that do a compression test. If the compression is good then its probable a valve seal and you may be able to do that with the engine in the truck. Even if you have to remove the head there seems to be a lot of room to do so in our trucks.

Find a good independent tech to look it over if you are not inclined to do it yourself; may not be as bad as it seems. Remember a dealer will want to change the motor for extra cost and if anything is wrong its on Nissan not their tech. You can buy gasket sets/valve seals at rockauto and other places.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Like others said, check valve seals. Does it have full power? Do a compression test. There are a lot of tests you need to do before you can say your engine is shot.. Unless theres a rod thrown through the block or something.

·
Registered
920 Posts
If its that bad I will buy the truck from you for 1000 bucks. Fix it for a grand or less and sell it for 12k. Sounds like a deal to me. I am in ga. I am serious. I will take it for a grand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Plugs have been pulled. No compression test yet. It's out of Nissan's shop and in one that I trust more.

While we might sell it at this point, it will be for more than a grand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts