Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the McGaugys lowering 2/3 kit. It lowered the rear 4" so I don't know why its a 2/3!! I removed the front stop and 1/2 of the rear stop.

Hooked up my boat approx total weight 3500#, tongue weight must be around 250# and the truck bottom out repeatedly. Does this mean I need to add a helper spring?

·
Registered
682 Posts
i would go w/ ride right air bags because when you not towing n e thing you air them all the way out and it wont lift the rear of your truck when not in use

·
Registered
392 Posts
BlingAlong06 said:
i would go w/ ride right air bags because when you not towing n e thing you air them all the way out and it wont lift the rear of your truck when not in use
Mine DID lift mine at the minimal suggested running pressure of 5psi. OVER AN INCH. And I must say, being a two wheel drive, it already had enough rake. Anyway, I, having installed my own, don't think there is enough room on a stock stance, let alone a lowered. I wish I had just saved a little more for the RAS. GOTO www.activesuspension.com Even with airbags, It still needs a sway, and the RAS acts as both. Some have installed with no rear raise at all, others, half inch or so.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have the RAS installed on my truck with the 2/3 lowering kit and it did raise it about 1/2-3/4" when totally unloaded, but I run around with about 800lbs of tools in the back of my truck on a daily basis and it works perfectly. I honestly haven't even bottomed my truck out even when towing my 8000+lb trailer setup with all my tools in my truck. I had the airbags on my truck and couldn't stand the ride when unloaded and the fact that I popped them within 2 days of taking them down to 5psi, they did work great for towing though.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just curious BH, did you have the air bags on an already lowered truck?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Put them on at the same time as the lowering leafs.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Wow man, my bags went on hard on stock height, I'd of never thought there would of been enough lowered. Do you think this may have been where the conflict occurred that caused them to pop? Just asking, because I don't hear of this happening much at all. And I know many users of them.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yeah I am pretty sure that probably is what did it, but I can't be positive as they worked fine when they were fully inflated. Once they were deflated it was just bad, felt like I was in a roller coaster not a truck and once I put on the RAS I actually had a better ride than I have ever felt in a titan.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been doing some searching. Apparently there is gen I and gen II RAS. Gen I is not preferred and it appears that one should go with the heavy duty. Best price I found was $279 shipped.

I can stand a 1/2 to 1" rise in the rear. I was expecting only 3" with MG but it turned out to be 4". Don't know why.

·
Registered
392 Posts
That's probably what I'm going with when the budget permits.

·
Registered
682 Posts
yeah thats strange that there was not enough clearance to put the bags on the lowered titan easily. i had them on my 1999 f150 that had a belltech 3"/4" lowering kit. i never ran air in them when i wasnt towing though even though the instructions said to never do that, but had them for 2.5 years like that w/o a problem....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bighitter said:
I have the RAS installed on my truck with the 2/3 lowering kit and it did raise it about 1/2-3/4" when totally unloaded, but I run around with about 800lbs of tools in the back of my truck on a daily basis and it works perfectly. I honestly haven't even bottomed my truck out even when towing my 8000+lb trailer setup with all my tools in my truck. I had the airbags on my truck and couldn't stand the ride when unloaded and the fact that I popped them within 2 days of taking them down to 5psi, they did work great for towing though.
I installed RAS HD kit and followed directions adjusting to spring expansion to allow a gap equal to the thickness of a quarter. Truck rides like the tires are over inflated. Is this normal?

·
Registered
484 Posts
If you re-read the directions, that is the pre-load setting and should be adjusted to what you need, I have mine fully cranked all the way down, but I also drive with 500-1000lbs of tools/equipment in the bed of my truck all the time. I would say go alot farther than where you are now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I re-read the instructions and missed a step. I preloaded the spring while the axle was on the jack stands. I've go to place the jack stands under the frame and then preload. I'm thinking I've probably got too much pre load dialed in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts