Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning an around-the-US trip late this year. We haven't finalized the route yet, but we'll basically be going east across the North, south across the East, west across the South, then back up through Utah to the Northwest.

Between 12,000 and 14,000 miles, between 50 and 60 days - both depending on how many stops we make and how long we play around.

I'm thinking about buying a camper for the Titan. My wife and I will be using it for this trip, and for camping trips afterwards. She's an awesome wife, but she's just not into tents... so the only way I'll be able to still go camping is with a camper... Needs to have a toilet, shower not necessary.

The KC Titan has a spec'd bed length of 79.8" Is this correct?
What is the wheel well height (above bed floor)?
What is the distance between wheel wells?

What's the max wet weight you'd allow for a camper?

Recommended brands? I like the Northstar TC800 popup, but it's nearly 1500 lbs... I'd like to find a nice light aluminum framed camper.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think you should go with a travel trailer if you are traveling across the country.You will get tired of opening a pop up every time you decide to camp. I would look in to Jayco or Gulf stream light weight models. Whe you decide on a camper make sure you get the best hitch setup you can afford. I would look at the reese hi performance trunnion weight distribution hitch with the dual hp for sway control and a prodigy brake controller. I would decide what length you would like to tow first.Have you evey towed a travel trailer before?

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LI Titan said:
Have you evey towed a travel trailer before?
Yes, I've towed a travel trailer before.

I'd like to stay with the camper idea. I realize it won't exactly be the most luxurious setup for a road trip, but, as I plan to use the camper in the mountains afterwards, it's what I want to buy.

You're lucky to get a pickup into where I camp, but there's no way you're fitting a trailer - so the travel trailer idea is out.

My wife won't go camping unless we have something more than a tent - so, if I want to spend any more time up in the hills, a camper is really my only option.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Austin said:
Yes, I've towed a travel trailer before.

I'd like to stay with the camper idea. I realize it won't exactly be the most luxurious setup for a road trip, but, as I plan to use the camper in the mountains afterwards, it's what I want to buy.

You're lucky to get a pickup into where I camp, but there's no way you're fitting a trailer - so the travel trailer idea is out.

My wife won't go camping unless we have something more than a tent - so, if I want to spend any more time up in the hills, a camper is really my only option.
I guess you are considering a slide in, I think you will be exceeding the weight the titan can carry.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Austin said:
That's why I'd like to find a nice light aluminum framed camper - hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction.

I think the Northstar line may work for you, I would watch the length of the box. I think you will have to modify the suspension on the titan to handle the weight. I would check out installing air bags to handle some of the weight.

Good Luck in your search

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
hello austin,
one of the reasons i purchased my titan was to someday haul a slide in camper. i currently tow a 22ft camper with it with no problems. but like you some of the places i go it is almost impossible to tow a trailer in. i know that this is not the best truck for a slide in, but i didn't want to go back to a ford chevy or dodge.
the owners manual specifically states not to haul a slide in with a crew cab, but is ok with a king cab.
now for some measurements,
bed length is 781/2" wheel well heights is 9" distance between wheel wells is 50".

the owners manual has the following vehicle load weight capacities-
king cab 2wd standard bed-xe1641 lbs se1590lbs
king cab 2wd high utility bed-se-1499lbs le-1387lbs
king cab 4wd standard bed- xe1508 se-1458
king cab 4wd high utility bed se-1367 le-1255

i hope this helps, i think the only limiting factor would be the suspension, and it would'nt be all that hard to beef that up. the truck certainly has enough power to haul that much weight.

happy camping :cheers:

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm on the same search as you Austin, a light slide in camper that is Titan friendly. Here is what I found out using a fantastic site http://www.vancouver.hm/campers.html listing over 50 US and Canadian manufacturers of truck campers.

For a popup, jhgnag pointed in the right direction with fourwheelcampers.

Don't care for a popup, check out http://www.six-pac.com/products.html. They make a very light solid side camper. In fact, both of these companies recently merged but still maintain separate websites.

Good luck on your search and when I find out more about these two units (RV show in Salt Lake this coming March), I'll let you know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts