Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 Nissan Titan XE caught fire yesterday when I pulled away after idling for a few minutes. I was able to put out the flames with a nearby garden hose. I had the truck towed to my local repair shop and they quickly discovered that it came from the air conditioner condenser fan motor. They called the local Nissan dealership and were told that I could drive it to them with the AC turned off and they would replace the fan motor for free since it was under recall.

Should I go ahead and do this? Is it possible that the fire damaged other things and I should ask for more then just the fan being replaced?

I love the truck and have always planned on keeping it for a very long time, so just looking to do the best thing for the truck... Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Go ahead and get the fan replaced but also have the dealer look for fire damage because that could lead to problems down the road. Sorry to hear that happen, sounds kinda weird.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Wow, glad you and your truck are ok. I'm guessing you never got the recall notice from Nissan about the condenser fan. Supposedly, some 06 condenser fans weren't sealed properly and moisture can make its way into the fan motor and cause it to overheat. Like T-Dog23 said, have them check other things for fire damage.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Wow. That's crazy. I'm a bit surprised that you were able to put it out with water only and not had to run for an extinguisher. Just out of curiosity, would the water have caused any damage itself aside from the fire? (Not sure how big your fire is) If it was my truck I'd trade it in if I could Lol. If not then fix what you can.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
never heard of the condenser fan catching fire. glad ur okay. if i were you, i'd get rid of it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I wonder if its worth contacting your insurance company to inform them of the fire?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
There was a recall done on my '04 for the A/C condensor. (NTB08-068c)

It is supposed to be the Gates Model that is good...

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have a 2005 SE dose this effecet me with the recall? and do you tihnk its still covered even tho i dont have warrnity

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I have a 2005 SE dose this effecet me with the recall? and do you tihnk its still covered even tho i dont have warrnity

a recall is a recall so they have to swap it if not they are liable if they say no.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Don't trade in or sell a truck just because a recalled item caught fire, just as Nissan expects of such defective units. That is a huge waste of money, and the "issue" can be directly and clearly addressed. Your problem seems to be very localized, and will likely not affect other things. The dealer should be able to confirm this. Have the dealer fix it, and Enjoy the Ride!

Reactions: nightowl

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
This is an unfortunate event, for sure... However, I must relay a little story...

1977 Ford Supercab... 350 engine... 3-speed... 4 years old, engine compartment catches fire from a cracked fuel line dripping on the hot manifold... My Dad put it out with an extinguisher... Seemed to be minimal damage.

I will just say that it was NEVER right for an entire week after that incident... There was always some contact, relay, electronic doodad or part failing on a highly regular basis. Now, by contrast, it was relatively consistently reliable before the fire. Any relation between the two? Who knows. But both he and I wish he had just let that POS burn... The headaches were endless with it afterwards....

Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Great first post goneape

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
My 2006 Nissan Titan XE caught fire yesterday when I pulled away after idling for a few minutes. I was able to put out the flames with a nearby garden hose. I had the truck towed to my local repair shop and they quickly discovered that it came from the air conditioner condenser fan motor. They called the local Nissan dealership and were told that I could drive it to them with the AC turned off and they would replace the fan motor for free since it was under recall.

Should I go ahead and do this? Is it possible that the fire damaged other things and I should ask for more then just the fan being replaced?

I love the truck and have always planned on keeping it for a very long time, so just looking to do the best thing for the truck... Thanks for any advice.
Most definitely you should take it to the dealer.

It's 51 pages so I can't upload here

·
Registered
370 Posts
a specific amount of the titans had condenser fans wired backward. i was listening the other day to an advisor talking to another customer when i was getting my oil changed. although they all were not wired backwards they seem to be replacing the fan even if its wired correctly. i think if its pushing air out its working extremely hard and gets very hottttttt. then boom busts into flames.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Mine's been replaced!

·
Premium Member
76,982 Posts
Hell, if mine catches fire, it'll burn completely. Then I'll cash in on a new one. No way in hell I'm driving a repaired one after an internal inferno. My insurance will just have to get happy in the same pants they got pissed off in.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I think starting with the '08.5s, the stupid electric fan on the front of the truck was engineered out. The newest Titans all have 100% mechanical fans. I gotta say too, my A/C works 100% better in my '09 than it did in my '05.

Have the stealer check for damage. There's some wires running around that area in front of the radiator for the lights and horn.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts