Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Endurance57 said:
Isuzu is owned by GM. Nissan has no relationships with them currently.

But Nissan is AXEing the current Titan design and will be allowing Dodge to make them a truck to replace the Titan under the Titan name. As of this moment, the Versa badged as a Chrysler will only be sold in Africa.
Where did you hear this from?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Endurance57 said:
True only about the part the Titan is being discontinued, but they will continue to have the Titan but it will be a Dodge truck built for Nissan with the cummings..

Along with this statement. What is the source of your information?:confused: :huh:

Also, it's "Cummins" by the way (not to be a jackass about it).

·
Registered
222 Posts
Endurance57 said:
Isuzu is owned by GM. Nissan has no relationships with them currently.

But Nissan is AXEing the current Titan design and will be allowing Dodge to make them a truck to replace the Titan under the Titan name. As of this moment, the Versa badged as a Chrysler will only be sold in Africa.
I love these diesel threads, always with the same bad info:

GM Owned stock in Isuzu as of last fall they sold their stake, however they do still control the plant that makes the Duramax motor as it was a coop project between the two. and before it gets said ford doesnt own Cummins or any part of it.

Previously before more recent events, there was a deal between Nissan and Navistar for a diesel but with the light of a possible new partnership with chrysler than if they are building the new Nissan trucks than I can only guess that they will be getting the same light duty diesel motor that Dodge is putting into the ram in 09. I have been prodding old friends at the plant but all they know is rumors nothing has been said for certain yet, its all still up in the air

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think getting the Titan production out of Mississippi would be the best thing Nissan could do. If they haven't figured out how to assemble a truck by now (and they haven't) they never will.

·
Registered
386 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
The deal with Cummins and Dodge isn't that Cummins is/was only allowed to supply engines to Dodge for light-duty trucks, but the other way around. Dodge has a contract with Cummins that says Cummins will be the exclusive supplier of diesel engines for their Ram trucks.

Cummins is more than welcome to supply engines to whoever they please.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Riverratt said:
I think getting the Titan production out of Mississippi would be the best thing Nissan could do. If they haven't figured out how to assemble a truck by now (and they haven't) they never will.
I take pretty big offense to this statement, the only quality problems the titan ever had were design related and had nothing to do with it being assembled in Mississippi. Over half of the Altimas assembled every year are built here and they still sell strong and are quality vehicles. If Mississippi was so bad, i don't believe Toyota would be coming here to build a plant of their own.

·
Registered
662 Posts
TitanEngineer said:
I take pretty big offense to this statement, the only quality problems the titan ever had were design related and had nothing to do with it being assembled in Mississippi. Over half of the Altimas assembled every year are built here and they still sell strong and are quality vehicles. If Mississippi was so bad, i don't believe Toyota would be coming here to build a plant of their own.
I agree, I know some good people in Mississippi.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Take this test:

Go to a Nissan dealer and look at 5 different Titans. On each truck check the following items:
1) front door seals mounted on the cab. Look for folds / wrinkles
2) gap between outer aft ends of bumper cover and fender, left and right sides. Varies side to side and truck to truck.
3) forward end of sealant which covers the roof splice on the RH and LH sides (in the channels). Width and taper varies on the forward ends.

Good luck finding two alike. Whan a design has not changed since 2004 and there is still this much variability from side to side and truck to truck, I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Riverratt said:
Take this test:

Go to a Nissan dealer and look at 5 different Titans. On each truck check the following items:
2) gap between outer aft ends of bumper cover and fender, left and right sides. Varies side to side and truck to truck.
3) forward end of sealant which covers the roof splice on the RH and LH sides (in the channels). Width and taper varies on the forward ends.

Good luck finding two alike. Whan a design has not changed since 2004 and there is still this much variability from side to side and truck to truck, I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

When you find a real problem, something that would actually constitute a poorly built truck, that would actually be drastic enough to change locations of the plant, get back to us. :domohit:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Riverratt said:
Take this test:

Never heard of tolerances and specs I see. When you find any of those *out of spec* (Do you even know what the spec is?) let us know.

As if that has *anything* to do with being built in MS anyway. Go climb back into your prejudice cave.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Uh, I thought this thread had to deal with the Titan Diesel. Not about who builds what and where the hell it's built. Could we please keep this thread about the diesel and the development of the diesel only?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Mississippi just happens to be where they're built. Just what are the specs for having folds or wrinkles in door seals? Personal attacks are always a good way to deflect the stated issues. Then again, maybe the consumer just needs to have lower expectations.

edit: Ya, got off track a little bit, just wondering if Dodge would take over build responsibility (not that it would be any better) with the rumored partnership. Like I said, draw your own conclusions.

·
Super Moderator
161,858 Posts
I'm still going to proceed my "hide and watch" philosophy regarding a diesel in one of our trucks. At least until I hear a press release from Nissan corporate. I'd love to see it happen, and that's the only reason I'd trade my Titan up at this point. 8k rebates aside.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Wow, if you think that was a personal attack... :rofl:

Sorry, you're the one that brought up those "problems." I was simply stating that they're not problems if they're within spec and don't cause any functional issues such as leaks, etc.

There will be variations in builds even when done by robots, such as VW uses in Germany.

You can't turn this around on me. Nice try, though.

Cummins all the way! :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
I would like to see a diesel in the Titan if it would not take 100K miles to recoup (thru better MPG):
a) higher initial cost
b) higher mainenance costs
c) higher fuel/gallon costs

Also, will the newer emissions compliant diesel engines be reliable?

A word on power:
The current 1/2 ton truck tow ratings are not limited by the gasoline engines. If you want to tow more, you should get a 3/4 ton truck (where diesels are currently available).

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Riverratt said:
I would like to see a diesel in the Titan if it would not take 100K miles to recoup (thru better MPG):
a) higher initial cost
b) higher mainenance costs
c) higher fuel/gallon costs

Also, will the newer emissions compliant diesel engines be reliable?

A word on power:
The current 1/2 ton truck tow ratings are not limited by the gasoline engines. If you want to tow more, you should get a 3/4 ton truck (where diesels are currently available).
A number of those, including higher initial cost, are recouped partially when the truck is sold; The diesels have a higher resale value.

The fuel costing more per gallon is offset by the increased MPG. Diesel would have to be deep into $4+/gal before there are no monetary gains to be made over a less-efficient gasoline engine.

$3.07/gal for 87 @ 15mpg comes out to $0.205/mile.
$3.47/gal for diesel @ 20mpg comes out to $0.174/mile.

To reach the same cost per mile as gasoline diesel would have to be at $4.10/gal or roughly 34% more per gallon than gasoline. As gasoline goes up in price, the equivalent cost of diesel would also rise. $3.50/gal for 87 would mean diesel at $4.69/gal.

Maintenance costs for diesel trucks isn't as cut and dried either. Diesels have no spark plugs, they have longer oil drain intervals, the downside is they do require more oil per change, fuel filters need to be replaced every other oil change or so (12k-15k miles)...

If you drive 20,000 miles per year (You have to tow a lot and often to really, truly justify a diesel truck so that you reap the benefits) that's about $600/yr saved in fuel costs alone. Over 5 years, that's $3500. If the diesel option costs an additional $6500 and you get at least half that back when the vehicle is sold, you've made $250 over 5 years/100k miles.

Let's face it, if you don't plan on keeping your truck for 100k miles and have no true NEED for a diesel then there is no monetary reason to buy one. Most people that buy diesels put well over 100,000 miles on them in a very short amount of time where it would be stupid NOT to buy a diesel truck.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Great analysis!

For the average 15K per year guy:

13MPG @ $2.60 per gallon = $20,000 per 100K miles
20MPG @ $3.10 per gallon = $15,500 per 100K miles

Diesel MPG savings = $4500.00 per 100K miles or $675.00 per year for 6.67 years.

Hard to justify in a 1/2 ton truck for the average guy.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Riverratt said:
Great analysis!

For the average 15K per year guy:

13MPG @ $2.60 per gallon = $20,000 per 100K miles
20MPG @ $3.10 per gallon = $15,500 per 100K miles

Diesel MPG savings = $4500.00 per 100K miles or $675.00 per year for 6.67 years.

Hard to justify in a 1/2 ton truck for the average guy.
True. Then again, it depends on the diesel and the added cost. Looking at it from a towing/capacity and mileage perspective, I see a smaller 6cyl diesel being a good fit or possibly something like the Cummins 4BT 3.9L 4cyl turbo. That would mean less up-front cost and even better fuel economy as there is no need for the same size I6 as in the Ram, unless the diesel comes packaged with a 3/4-ton Titan. :D

A while back Ford was throwing the idea around of putting a V6 version of the 6.0 PSD into the F-150.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts