·
Registered
457 Posts
Riverratt said:
Great analysis!

For the average 15K per year guy:

13MPG @ $2.60 per gallon = $20,000 per 100K miles
20MPG @ $3.10 per gallon = $15,500 per 100K miles

Diesel MPG savings = $4500.00 per 100K miles or $675.00 per year for 6.67 years.

Hard to justify in a 1/2 ton truck for the average guy.
By the time Nissan actually rolled this truck out I would imagine it would be 2010 or later and there are bills out there that require 35mpg. So your savings would be significantly higher. The EPA is really coming down hard on diesels. California is ruining everything.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Uh oh!
Just filled up at local gas station in St Louis.
Regular = 2.79/gal,
Diesel = 3.39/gal
A better thread may be "why would anyone want a diesel in a 1/2 ton truck". Don't get me wrong, I hope there is an economically justifiable way to drive a 1/2 ton truck with 9K plus towing capacity and save on fuel expenses. I just don't see diesel as the answer (I hope I'm wrong).

Now that I think about it, why would the auto industry care what the fuel costs are. Since diesel has more BTU per gallon this is the obvious choice on meeting MPG requirements.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Riverratt said:
Uh oh!
Just filled up at local gas station in St Louis.
Regular = 2.79/gal,
Diesel = 3.39/gal
A better thread may be "why would anyone want a diesel in a 1/2 ton truck". Don't get me wrong, I hope there is an economically justifiable way to drive a 1/2 ton truck with 9K plus towing capacity and save on fuel expenses. I just don't see diesel as the answer (I hope I'm wrong).

Now that I think about it, why would the auto industry care what the fuel costs are. Since diesel has more BTU per gallon this is the obvious choice on meeting MPG requirements.
You're right! We should all right letters to Nissan, Toyota, Ford, Chevy telling them how stupid it is to put diesels in their 1/2 tons. What a waste of time, lol.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Diesel makes the most sense from an environmental perspective as well. Biodiesel is more environmentally-friendly than hybrid or electric vehicles.

BTW, $3.39 is only 22% more than the $2.79 unleaded, diesel is still ahead by at least 12%. ;)

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm just trying to figure out the motivation for auto manufacturers going to diesel engines. The only thing I can come up with is to meet government MPG requirements. I also find it interesting how people clamor for diesel engines on virtually all truck message boards without good reason. Biodiesel could change the whole dynamic. Just trying to engage in a reasonable debate.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Being the owner of diesels in the past, here is what I loved about them:

1) Easy to work on and maintain. Start to finish, it took 20 minutes to replace a water pump including coolant and serp belt.

2) Easy to modify for more power. The engines are stout and with the right tuning you can increase boost and fueling with little effort or money while maintaining reliability. I increased the boost and changed the fueling for a total cost of $0, the only money I spent was for the exhaust shop to straight pipe it.

3) Longevity. I put 30,000 miles on the truck in one year, by the time I sold the truck it had 170,000 miles on it, many of them towing miles, with a total of MAYBE $150 in repairs, all of which I was able to do myself and none of them took more than 30 minutes each. It ran like a champ, didn't burn or leak oil (Other than the diesel in the tank. :D ), and towed like no other.

I would go back to diesel in a heartbeat. Better mileage, better for the environment (emissions-wise), better resale value, tows anything like a dream. The lowest MPG I got was 17mpg while towing my Jeep on a flatbed trailer. Unloaded I would get 20-22mpg on the freeway and the truck weighed in at 6500lb (rounded up, I did have it weighed on a scale).

Now that people are able to make their own fuel at home using WVO there's an even bigger group of people wanting to get a diesel, be it a truck, a Benz 240D or 300D, VW Rabbit (old) or newer TDI.

What I don't get, to a point, are people NOT wanting a diesel or people that are against them for no good reason. There are more positives than negatives to diesel. The biggest negative being initial cost, but again that is recouped by having a higher resale value.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Riverratt said:
I'm just trying to figure out the motivation for auto manufacturers going to diesel engines. The only thing I can come up with is to meet government MPG requirements. I also find it interesting how people clamor for diesel engines on virtually all truck message boards without good reason. Biodiesel could change the whole dynamic. Just trying to engage in a reasonable debate.
It is not about the economic savings for manufacturer or consumer. It is about diesels don't have to conform to the same Fed EPA regs. Now you can sell more trucks w/o going over the upcomming fleet (remember this is fleet) 35 mpg law the EPA wants. Plus it gives consumers more options who don't want a bigger truck but may want the reliability of diesels. Just a thought, someone show me the EPA fuel milage posted on a diesel engine. This thread should be about the discussion of the possible benifits of a diesel in a TITAN.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Find me a 1/2 ton truck being sold with a diesel and I'll show you the EPA numbers. :D 3/4 ton and up trucks (Specifically, trucks with a GVWR of 8500lb or more) aren't rated by the EPA so you won't find any numbers by taking a stroll through your local Dodge/Chevy/Ford dealer.

VW Jetta TDIs are showing in the neighborhood of 37/45 mpg city/hwy.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yahooligan said:
Find me a 1/2 ton truck being sold with a diesel and I'll show you the EPA numbers. :D 3/4 ton and up trucks (Specifically, trucks with a GVWR of 8500lb or more) aren't rated by the EPA so you won't find any numbers by taking a stroll through your local Dodge/Chevy/Ford dealer.

VW Jetta TDIs are showing in the neighborhood of 37/45 mpg city/hwy.
You are correct sorry for the misinformation.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Reality check here: Look at the very small piece of the truck market that Nissan has here in the states. The commerical truck market will not buy a Nissan truck for a work/company truck. Duramax, Navistar, Cummings or Chevy, Ford, Dodge is the only one that will prosper in the diesel truck sales in the US.

·
Registered
457 Posts
TYTAIN said:
Reality check here: Look at the very small piece of the truck market that Nissan has here in the states. The commerical truck market will not buy a Nissan truck for a work/company truck. Duramax, Navistar, Cummings or Chevy, Ford, Dodge is the only one that will prosper in the diesel truck sales in the US.
I don't think it's a matter of breaking into the commercial truck market. If they wanted to do that they should have came out with more engine options. That imo, is there downfall in sales. The new laws are requiring 35mpg starting 2010 IIRC. It is going to be very difficult to do that with a gas engine. You will be seeing more and more diesels from everyone. Along with hybrids, fuel cell, electric etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the link, it was a good read. I hope the diesel that eventually makes its way into the Titan will be as good as the one highlighted in that article.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I've heard that the vk56 will not be discontinued in one of the articles. According to the article, the armada will get a 400hp version and the Infiniti a 450 hp version. Now they may be wrong, but I haven't heard anything anywhere that the 5.6 will be discontinued. It would be a bad move if it is true cause that 5.6L is a very very nice engine. Now if they replace it with a nice diesel it wouldn't be quite as bad.

Here's a pdf that I got from someone else on the board about the development of the 5.6L in case anyone is interested...

Attachments

41 - 56 of 56 Posts