Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have searched this site and Nissanusa.com, and cannot find firm answers on these questions. If someone could help, I would appreciate it.

1- Does the Titan come with a limited slip rear differential? I know that the locking diff is not here yet, but I cannot find any info on a LSD.

2- Does the Titan have a trip computer standard in the LE that provides distance to empty, fuel econ, etc?

3- Are there any dealers selling at invoice yet? I am willing to travel out of the midwest if I need to, as I do not wish to pay more than invoice. If you are a dealer that would like to sell one and keep your holdback as your profit, let me know.

4- What exactly does the electronic stability control do? I see that it detects body roll, lateral g-forces, etc, but wanted to know what it does with this information-- anything besides cutting engine power and selectively engaging the brakes? Nissan's own site does not even list detail on this in their 'safety section' for some reason.

I am down to the F-150 Titan, and Ram as my final choices. Downside on the F-150 are lack of power, and lack of side airbags. Ram downsides are the lower comfort, slightly dated interior. Titan downsides are the price some dealers think I am willing to pay for this, the lack of the locking rear diff (I won't buy until this is resolved), and the fact that they downsize the tire height for the off road pak (I know this probably has to do with clearance issues).

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Well I don't know about most of the LE issues your asking about. But as far as tire size for the O-R pkg. Its due to the wheel size and tire availability.
Try finding 18" tires for off road apps. Hence the 17" was selected as it is the largest O-R tire diamater.

18"+ tires are all pretty much street tires. Wrangler RSA's are the only tire I can find on tire rack in 18's and they are listed as a highway tire.

Chris

·
Registered
147 Posts
#3 - I offered right around invoice for an SE yesterday, and we didn't get real close. But what is odd is that these haven't moved where I'm at. I've been looking at the same inventory for several weeks, and I can only think of one truck I saw that was sold since I started looking.

Also, I noticed a couple getting auctioned off on ebay. Any feedback on why a dealer would decide to auction them off? Are dealers selling on ebay usually due to high demand or low demand?

·
Registered
473 Posts
The trip computer and information is part of the Navigation system. Without the nav system, you only have 2 trip odom's.

·
Registered
780 Posts
no limited slip rear differential!

nope. aint got none.
no limited slip rear differential.
got to wait until April or May (at the earliest) for the rear electronic locking differential axle.

yup, california titan's correct, so far as i know: 17" are the more common widest off road tires vs. 18". plus wider 285/70/17s have more traction than narrower, but taller 26570/18s.

i saw bf goodrich's offering 315mm/70%/17"s (about 34x12.4, in english) - but i do not know if these 315/70/17s will require lift kit.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
SigArms226 said:
i have searched this site and Nissanusa.com, and cannot find firm answers on these questions. If someone could help, I would appreciate it.

1- Does the Titan come with a limited slip rear differential? I know that the locking diff is not here yet, but I cannot find any info on a LSD.

2- Does the Titan have a trip computer standard in the LE that provides distance to empty, fuel econ, etc?

3- Are there any dealers selling at invoice yet? I am willing to travel out of the midwest if I need to, as I do not wish to pay more than invoice. If you are a dealer that would like to sell one and keep your holdback as your profit, let me know.

4- What exactly does the electronic stability control do? I see that it detects body roll, lateral g-forces, etc, but wanted to know what it does with this information-- anything besides cutting engine power and selectively engaging the brakes? Nissan's own site does not even list detail on this in their 'safety section' for some reason.

I am down to the F-150 Titan, and Ram as my final choices. Downside on the F-150 are lack of power, and lack of side airbags. Ram downsides are the lower comfort, slightly dated interior. Titan downsides are the price some dealers think I am willing to pay for this, the lack of the locking rear diff (I won't buy until this is resolved), and the fact that they downsize the tire height for the off road pak (I know this probably has to do with clearance issues).
Also the downside of the F150 and Ram are: no 5 speed automatic transmission, no Utili-Track, no fully boxed frame, driver's side lock box, 12 volt outlet in the bed, and a whole host of ither things. The main item worth mentioning is the power to weight ratio is far better in the Titan. More torque than the hemi! Drive the Ram and the F150 after driving the Titan and you can really appreciate the power of the Titan. If you are buying a 300+ hp truck, it should feel like you are driving in 300+ ponies; you don't get this feeling in the F150 or Ram.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From some of the posts here in the forum, should I be concerned that this cannot be switched off? Any information on whether this computer and brake controlled limited slip works as well or better than traditional limited slip? Differences between the technologies?

Will the e-lock rear diff override this system, or work on conjunction with it?

Thanks again for the replies, all.

·
Registered
134 Posts
SigArms226 said:

NO LSD, a major oversight on Nissan's part IMHO

EVERY other major full size truck manufacture offers one,
heck Nissan offers a LSD on the 350Z/G35 & I think the M45/Q45/FX45

·
Registered
134 Posts
SigArms226 said:
I think you pretty much have it nailed down for the VSA or VSC or whatever Nissan is marekting theirs as,
a gyro is combined with a steering wheel input/angle sensor along with the ABS sensors for wheel speed/rotation & slip
It detects slip/yaw/skid & applies a brake(s) accordingly to keep the vehicle pointed in the right direction, & as with electronic traction control reducing engine power by retarding the ignition timing & cutting fuel is also employed as computer defined limits are reached

·
Registered
134 Posts
SigArms226 said:
and the fact that they downsize the tire height for the off road pak (I know this probably has to do with clearance issues).
what exactly do you mean by downsize tire height ??

the 285/70/17's are the tallest OEM tire available
(and probably the tallest that will fit without a lift kit)

a XE has 245/75/17 standard for a diameter of 31.47"

a standard SE & LE has 265/70/18 for a diameter of 32.61"

a Offroad Package has 285/70/17 for a diameter of 32.71"

typicly serious offroaders prefer a taller sidewall for more deflection("give") in the tire
& this helps protect the rims too, a shorter sidewall like the 18" wheel option is
generally better for on road use

do a search a www.tirerack.com
very few, if any 18" offroad tires & not a huge selection of 17" ones

I think the 315/70/17 or 305/70/17 is about the biggest out there right now without going to straight "inch" size tires

·
Registered
250 Posts
SigArms226 said:
From some of the posts here in the forum, should I be concerned that this cannot be switched off? Any information on whether this computer and brake controlled limited slip works as well or better than traditional limited slip? Differences between the technologies?

Will the e-lock rear diff override this system, or work on conjunction with it?

Thanks again for the replies, all.
The ABLS should work very well on pavement in the snow, assuming it is also active in 2WD mode. No need to switch it off that I can see. Not sure how Nissan will implement the e-locker in conjuction with ABLS. Normally, you would only use the e-locker offroad only, or to get unstuck from a snow bank on pavement. Since there is no center differential on the Titan (as there is in the 4Runner), you should not drive extensively in 4WD on the pavement, even in the snow.

For an illuminating look at how Toyota utilizes e-lockers, take a look at this link: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?threadid=12

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
outahere said:
The ABLS should work very well on pavement in the snow, assuming it is also active in 2WD mode. No need to switch it off that I can see. Not sure how Nissan will implement the e-locker in conjuction with ABLS. Normally, you would only use the e-locker offroad only, or to get unstuck from a snow bank on pavement. Since there is no center differential on the Titan (as there is in the 4Runner), you should not drive extensively in 4WD on the pavement, even in the snow.

For an illuminating look at how Toyota utilizes e-lockers, take a look at this link: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?threadid=12
That is an interesting read- - but of course, it prompts more questions -- without a center diff, what is the distribution of power between the front and rear axles in 4WD? The post about the toyota mentions that locking the center diff gives you 50/50 front to rear power. I am guessing that on the nissan, with no center diff, 4wd locks the front and rear together for a mechanical 50/50 split, but please correct me if that is not right.

It also mentions that locking the center diff turns off the ABLS similar 'VSC' system Toyota uses - reason being, sometimes you want to spin the tires.

The ABLS/VSC seems to serve as a pseudo-LSD. The second post in that Toyota thread says means you dont need a locking rear diff? Does it sound to anyone that the ABLS and locked rear diff will be working against each other? (one will be trying to split the power equally to both the rear wheels, and the ABLS will be trying to cut the power and apply the brakes from the wheel that is spinning? This makes me think that the locking rear diff on the Titan would just have to shut off the ABLS, at least to the rear axle?

·
Registered
250 Posts
without a center diff, what is the distribution of power between the front and rear axles in 4WD?
50% to the front, and 50% to the rear.
Does it sound to anyone that the ABLS and locked rear diff will be working against each other?
I think we can assume that the Nissan engineers will make sure this does not happen. Since there will be no speed differential between the 2 rear wheels when the diff is locked, I presume the ABLS will not be activated.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Keep searching the nissan site and you'll find all the answers to your questions. Don't give up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts