Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unbelievable. So many things are wrong about this. Nissan is not taking responsibility. I just learned via Consumer relations, that the Nissan inspector has come back with 'no evidence of product liability'. He actually sounded cheerful for once. From my research, this is typical. So here we go with letters, possibly attorneys, and third party investigators.

I can't believe that a 6 month old truck can catch fire, I save my baby and the truck from being completely destroyed and have to fight not to put my family in that danger again.

They will not let you talk to the inspector. Here is what is fishy about that whole thing:
1. They took over a week to look at it
2. I went to the dealership to meet the inspector at 2pm when Peyton in Consumer affairs said he would be there. Waited with two babies for over an hour.
3. The service manager claims that the inspector arrived after 5pm.
4. Peyton in Consumer affairs said the inspector worked on the truck for 6 hours. How can this be when he didn't arrive until 5pm?
5. After the inspection, they can not say what caused it, but can say it was not product liability?

Basically Nissan is taking the same approach that Ford did. They don't know what caused it, so in their position it must not be their fault.

I'll be hiring a company that inspects fire damage. They worked on some of the Ford issues that resulted positively for the owners involved. Thank you to this board for sending me to the Magic Mechanic. There have been two more fires in Titans in S. FL.

I hope this doesn't take as long as I think it is going to.
Edit/Delete Message

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Sorry to hear about that.

I can tell you the first thing you should do:

Call the media. Watch how fast this fixes itself. Get yourself on a local TV station, it will get picked up. Make a big stink about Nissan and their crappy customer relations and how they are weaseling out of responsibility (which they may or may not be doing....but the fact is they are handling this like crap).

I hate the cloak and dagger stuff, drives me nuts...even if they are right.

When you call, make sure to bring up your child and the fact that you went to the hospital. They'll eat this up. Write to your local paper too. Also don't forget to mention the 2 other fires.

Once you get on air and in print, make copies and mail them to Nissan corporate. Also, if you were put only in small papers and TV, then you take the tape and the clipping and mail them to bigger places asking if they want the story too.

Nissan will then move so fast your head will spin.

·
Super Moderator
159,625 Posts
Though it sucks about the truck, I'm not sure that this is really "news" for anybody to want to carry. I'm sure that in some way/shape/form this happens to people every day. Car, truck, dishwasher, air conditioner, roof leaks, swimming pool cracked, whatever. It sucks, but I don't know if it's news. Best of luck though.

I'm sure it was insured. Get it fixed, sell the thing since it seems you don't want the truck any longer, and move on in life being grateful that you and your family weren't injured. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
43,120 Posts
People take losses everyday. Don't stress about it and turn your life upside down. Pick your battles. I would do like carbeux says and fix sell it and move on.

·
Registered
143 Posts
kokojoe said:
I hope this doesn't take as long as I think it is going to.
Edit/Delete Message
KoKo
First let Me apologize for disbelieving You in Your original post.
I'll be happy to eat Crow on this one . I was WAY out of line .
All I can add to this is that I'm glad that no one was hurt ,and that I hope Your truck will be repaired ,or replaced quickly.
Again, I offer My apology. If You accept it , Great ! If not, that is very understandable . John

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
TriKKy said:
Sorry to hear about that.

I can tell you the first thing you should do:

Call the media. Watch how fast this fixes itself. Get yourself on a local TV station, it will get picked up. Make a big stink about Nissan and their crappy customer relations and how they are weaseling out of responsibility (which they may or may not be doing....but the fact is they are handling this like crap).

I hate the cloak and dagger stuff, drives me nuts...even if they are right.

When you call, make sure to bring up your child and the fact that you went to the hospital. They'll eat this up. Write to your local paper too. Also don't forget to mention the 2 other fires.

Once you get on air and in print, make copies and mail them to Nissan corporate. Also, if you were put only in small papers and TV, then you take the tape and the clipping and mail them to bigger places asking if they want the story too.

Nissan will then move so fast your head will spin.
Some lady here in Cali got a whole new Altima using this method. At the very least, you will get to the bottom of the mess quicker with medi help.

·
Premium Member
43,120 Posts
I once returned a car on a trailer in front of the dealership on a busy saturday, because we had it in 3 times in the first month and they wouldn't take care of us and then it broke down on the side of the road in 100 deg heat with 3 kids!

They weren't happy about it, but they did take the da** thing back!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
i wish i did that with GM, i had an Under warrenty truck motor sieze and found out they had a problem with one of the cylinders, they said it would take over 1 month to get the word from chevy to fix. I took out another loan to get it done then and they promised me i would be compensated. Well 3 years and $9000 i havnt seen a dime. just the runaround. their customer service made me say later a-holes. I really hope nissan is not like this. park your truck so it blocks the exit at the dealer or the service anagers house. dont let them walk all over you. if i had to do it again i woud not give them an inch. go there and dont evenm let them say"well call you tomarrow", say "no ill just stand here till you fix it". They dont care its sad

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just want to let everyone know that I hired a private inspector. Best $700 I ever spent. Looks like the culprit is the puddle light. I'll have the formal report by the end of this week with much more experienced pictures and documentation than anything Nissan did.

I know some are saying I should just move on. Sorry, not going to do it. I have a 7 month old titan that caught on fire. I'm waiting for the report, going to send it to Nissan with a nice letter to God and Country, oh yeah and the press. Its sad because I have given them every opportunity to do the right thing.

keep you all posted.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I say good for you. Eat 'em alive if they try to screw you. Why should you be responsible for a faulty vehicle? And before anyone mudslings, I have owned or been part of a family that has owned Nissans without fault for 27+ years. I don't understand why anyone would say to fix and forget, even if you are insured. Hell, if that is the case, the next time I get in an accident and it is my fault, I hope it is with one of these persons with that mentality. I can see it now, "Sorry I just totaled your car, but that is what you have insurance for, right? To fix other people's mistakes. So... I'm outta here!" Just my two cents.

·
Registered
718 Posts
tholmes said:
I don't understand why anyone would say to fix and forget, even if you are insured. Hell, if that is the case, the next time I get in an accident and it is my fault, I hope it is with one of these persons with that mentality. I can see it now, "Sorry I just totaled your car, but that is what you have insurance for, right? To fix other people's mistakes. So... I'm outta here!" Just my two cents.
A little off-topic, but... That happens all the time when people drive around uninsured: the insured party, even if not at fault, ends up picking up the tab.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I completely realize that. That is the point of having insurance, in case the other person doesn't pony up. I was commenting towards suggestions that he just fix the problem when obviously he is the victim and the perp is a very financially capable automaker... with great insurance I imagine!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I searched through NHTSA website and as far as I know you are the only NHTSA documented case of Titan catching on fire. I've searched from 2004 to 2007. On separate thread, some radio station reported several other vehicles catching on fire but none of them appear to be registered with NHTSA.

However, I did find 1 complaint on 2005 Titan with driver seat catching on fire and it was blamed on power seat assembly.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Glad to hear you are sticking with it, keep us posted on result!!! (Great job going to media too, should post links if it gets online)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2006 Nissan Titan caught fire the other day as well 06-20-2008 at 6:50pm in Boise, Idaho. I had no idea this type of thing happened with new vehicles my truck still only has 25,000 Miles on it. Yeah I know there are problems and recalls but whoa a fire?!! I have never had any of my vehicles catch on fire I have had them break down, over heat, etc.. but flames coming out from underneath your hood with your wife and dogs in the truck is certainly not anything I would have expected.
I got lucky I must say that I had a 5 gallon water jug in my truck to put the flames out.

**** However had I not risked my life to put the flames out my as fast and as furious as the fire was taking off my truck would have been completely totaled and the worst part...I had a full tank of gas it literally freaked the SH*T out of me. Picture yourself sitting at your wife's clients house that he just bought and have your truck with a full 24gallon tank gas on fire.
I am sitting there thinking that his house as well the neighbors is going to burned to the ground.....
If anyone else has had this happen let me know this is a VERY dangerous problem with these trucks that needs to be fixed......
I have read some of the posts below and to think that some of the people suggested just letting it go.....um no if your vehicle is underwarranty they had better da*n well fix for it and NOT with the same deffective part.
I do actually know what happened though it was my a/c fan that caught fire.

·
Super Moderator
34,523 Posts
Welcome to Titan Talk, too bad your first post had to do with such a topic.

Sorry about your misfortune and I'm glad that no one got hurt.

I'm sure you did a search and that's how you found a thread that hadn't been posted in since May 18, 2007. I believe it is the only thread dealing with a Titan fire on this site.

It doesn't appear to be a common occurrence for a Titan to catch fire unlike other truck manufacturers who have had to deal with recalls and lawsuits due to the design that lead to vehicle fire. But if it were my truck I would be thinking that there has got to be more than just mine that this has happened to. Right now, I can't recall any other than this thread.

What has Nissan done about your truck?

·
Registered
184 Posts
coreys said:
.. but flames coming out from underneath your hood with your wife and dogs in the truck is certainly not anything I would have expected.
I got lucky I must say that I had a 5 gallon water jug in my truck to put the flames out.

**** However had I not risked my life to put the flames out my as fast and as furious as the fire was taking off my truck would have been completely totaled ....
I agree, an interesting first post. But as a firefighter who has gone to my share of vehicle fires, I would love to know (as would the fire service in general) what technique you used to put out this "fast and furious" fire with only five gallons of water.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, my 2006 Titan caught on fire on July 2009, I still dont know the response from Nissan yet. I hoping to hear something soon, it was my AC fan wiring that was on flames, also there is a recall on that part hopefully Nissan will own up. Im located in Alanta, Ga my the way. Has this happened to anyone else recently??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts