Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a loud clunk in the front and rear suspension of my new 2010 Titan CC SE 4X4. This happens over potholes and especially speed bumps. I have traced it down and believe it happens on the rebound stroke of the shock. Greg from PRG knows of the problem and says Bilsteins will fix the problem and the front can be fixed with a shorter spring. I don't want the front to be lowered. I am talking with 3 dealers and none of them know of this issue(strange!). My thought is, will the Rancho shocks from the PRO-4X fix the problem? I have not found this issue mentioned in this forum(again strange). My truck is stock with no level or lift kits. The noise seems to be the shocks reaching the end of their extension! Help!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What advice would you suggest? I do not want to drop the front with shorter springs and would like it if warranty covered it(don't want dealer doing a try this, try this)

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I would call PRG Greg again and tell him you don't want to drop the front. Maybe he has a way to fix it with aftermarket coilovers and/or UCAs. Yeah, you may end up spending some $ on some decent coilovers, but the ride will be much better. I tossed the OEM Ranchos for DRs (now known as Icon). Even if the OEM Ranchos did, by a stroke of luck, cure your issues, they only last for maybe 20k if you are lucky. All of mine, front & rear were trashed at 18K, some people report 12K to failure.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I still have the dreaded rear end clunk. I had it when I had the stock Ranchos (Not leaking) and now on the Bilstein 5100s. I've tried adjusting the tailgate, applying zip ties to the hinge. No luck at all. I've just learned to live with it. It only happens when I go over large pot holes. Sooo for me Bilsteins didn't help me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have a levelling kit or lift kit, yes chances are you will have the clunk front and rear. Mine is stock. If yours is stock I am told to put Bilstein HD's on the front and 5100's on the rear. I am hoping Rancho's will fix it temporarily. That way I will know and confirm it is a problem with all 2010 Titans and that they need to address the shocks! By the way even the dealers new 2011 Titan did the dreaded clunk over a pothole during a test with the dealer driving!

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Bizarre. Known sources of clunk noises: axle wrap, slip yoke, 2WD center driveshaft bearing, transmission mount, utilirail covers sliding, spring shackle broken.

·
Registered
51 Posts
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.... climb under your truck and check your tranny cross member bolts where they mount onto the transmission. mine were backed over 3/4 of the way out...and had been that way for some time. when i put the lift on it exaggerated the issue and made it way more pronounced on any type of moderate acceleration. and it was allowing the tranny to lift off the cross member and then slam back down on the cross member. stripped out the holes and ruined bolts.. nissan did not cover it because it was not considered drive train. but hardware. even tho they were the last ones to touch it from the factory. when the truck was built.. ME --->:boxing:<--- NISSAN

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm noticing a bad clunk when going over the speed "humps" in my development as well. It was a little clunky on a washed out dirt road I did a very short section of today as well. 08 LE w/ factory dubs and 43k on the clock.

I presumed the rebound control on the shocks was poor. It felt like the wheels weren't following the speed hump down but rather would come crashing down after I'd passed it. I don't suppose there's any sort of adjustable rebound control on these shocks? Any good shocks that could fix this issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm also noticing the dreaded "clunk" when going over bumps. I have a 2010 cc SE 4x4 and have had this since I bought it with 800 miles on it. I always thought this was normal until my cousin, who is a mechanic, drove it one day and told me about it. I had it at the dealer last week and they said they are going to replace the springs, but aren't sure this is going to fix it since they didn't even know what is causing it. I guess there is a fairly new service bulletin out regarding this issue and the springs. I hope my front end doesn't drop when they replace them!!

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
In my 2011 pro 4x It has the same rebound problem in the front from day 1 the first speed bump I hit leaving the dealership! The ranchos are Junk. Taking mine into the dealer again when im off this work hitch to see what they say but I will be adding a lift soon so not to worried about it.
Must be pretty embarrassing for nissan knowing that there is this problem in a 50k$ truck which is why I think they deny anything is wrong and its working as intended. From surfing all the threads about this it is a pretty common thing and it seems that long travel shocks, or just a quality shock will fix the prob.

·
Registered
968 Posts
This clunk everyone keeps complaining about is the front strut assly TOPPING OUT. longer travel struts will cure this but you loose the handling factor....you would see to much roll in the corners..so to keep car like cornering and truck stability you have a clunk....not an easy line to walk.

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1374334848.847917.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1374334863.955489.jpg
That's the right side.
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1374334951.026426.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1374335001.145229.jpg
That's the driver side.
Someone know what's wrong?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I still have the dreaded rear end clunk. I had it when I had the stock Ranchos (Not leaking) and now on the Bilstein 5100s. I've tried adjusting the tailgate, applying zip ties to the hinge. No luck at all. I've just learned to live with it. It only happens when I go over large pot holes. Sooo for me Bilsteins didn't help me.
The reason your 5100's didn't help with clunk is that they are for only 1" of lift ,the 5125's are what you would want for more rear lift on the PRG site Greg lists three different applications.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Reactions: GalaxyPro4X11

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
IDK but the top of my stuts don't look like that. all my bushings are below coil bucket only thing on top of coil bucket is steel washer and Nut.??? stock set up on mine
Yea I took it to a different shop an brought them the two washers that were missing from under the coil bucket. All is good now but on the middle setting it more then leveled my pro4x. Didn't expect that much lift from them after reading the posts about the newer 5100's

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts