Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
I just purchased a new 2021 Titan. I was always a Dodge guy, but took a chance on a Titan and so far I love it. The Truck fits my needs better than I expected. The only thing that bugs me is the very small gas tank. I have a solution, and I am wanting feed back if anyone has tried this. I am considering a ATI 40 gallon tank tool box combo for the back. This will hook in the fuel filler neck, I will have to install a low volume fuel pump to pump the fuel from the top of the tank. The tank I'm considering is a DOT approved tank. This is not legal in all states but I'm kind of a rebel, and I don't travel to California. Has anyone had any experience with a set up like this? Does anyone know where I can buy switches that fit in the factory blanked spots in the dash?

Thank You for all responses.

dlowry

·
Premium Member
4,380 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the forum.
I personally wouldn’t give up the bed space for that, I’d rather stop for gas when needed.
Enjoy the truck and hope it always is reliable, I’m on my third Titan now. All have been great.

Clint

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,797 Posts
@Piratesofwar has an inbed tank and that sucker looks awesome. I think one other guy does also but I don't think either are the tool box / tank combination. My brother in law has that on his f350 and it added 81 more gallons to his truck but that's a ton of gas, almost 500 pounds more so if you get that, you are really cutting into you bed space and weight carrying capacity, I bet. (Gas weight at 81 gallons, not diesel weight)

I think it would be awEsome to get one of those tanks but my bicycle barely fits with the tailgate closed, as it is

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
My buddy has a Tundra with the 38 gallon tank and filled up his range is usually 470 to 500 miles…

About the same as my Titan with a 26 gal tank….

But I still have to hear him brag that his tank is bigger…. I agree and say the same for the Tundras appetite for fuel…

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
@Piratesofwar has an inbed tank and that sucker looks awesome. I think one other guy does also but I don't think either are the tool box / tank combination. My brother in law has that on his f350 and it added 81 more gallons to his truck but that's a ton of gas, almost 500 pounds more so if you get that, you are really cutting into you bed space and weight carrying capacity, I bet. (Gas weight at 81 gallons, not diesel weight)

I think it would be awEsome to get one of those tanks but my bicycle barely fits with the tailgate closed, as it is
I also have arb air bags installed so when I'm full of fuel I can air them up and it doesn't hurt my shocks. I can control my airbags inside my truck it helps a lot. So with it full of fuel the *** end of the truck sits higher when I'm empty I deflate them and the rear end goes down.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,797 Posts
your doesn't cut so much in to the room of the bed though because yours is fairly thin.

my brother in laws is huge because its a tool box and fuel tank. it makes his long bed into a short bed, basically, and when his truck got wrecked by an 19 wheeler, it spilled all the diesel fuel into the cab of the f350 because it was punctured so the whole interior of his truck was destroyed. luckily they totaled that truck but he put the same set up on his replacement truck

·
Premium Member
4,380 Posts
your doesn't cut so much in to the room of the bed though because yours is fairly thin.

my brother in laws is huge because its a tool box and fuel tank. it makes his long bed into a short bed, basically, and when his truck got wrecked by an 19 wheeler, it spilled all the diesel fuel into the cab of the f350 because it was punctured so the whole interior of his truck was destroyed. luckily they totaled that truck but he put the same set up on his replacement truck
Imagine if that was gasoline that spilled and not diesel? It’s not worth the risk for extra miles between fill ups.

Clint

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,797 Posts
that's what i was picturing. if the cab filled with fuel and then a spark lit it, my brother in law would have been done

·
Registered
289 Posts
I can’t picture any reason to give up that much of an already small bed just to avoid filling up more often. To each their own, I just don’t get it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My concern would be a check engine light from the evap system….same you get if the gas cap is loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,797 Posts
some get the extra tank for off roading though. they go out far and need more fuel for getting back or running stuff in the field

·
Registered
289 Posts
The tank does suck when towing for sure. I get that, but it’s not inconvenient enough to take up so much of the bed. To me anyway, to each their own.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Hey All,
I just purchased a new 2021 Titan. I was always a Dodge guy, but took a chance on a Titan and so far I love it. The Truck fits my needs better than I expected. The only thing that bugs me is the very small gas tank. I have a solution, and I am wanting feed back if anyone has tried this. I am considering a ATI 40 gallon tank tool box combo for the back. This will hook in the fuel filler neck, I will have to install a low volume fuel pump to pump the fuel from the top of the tank. The tank I'm considering is a DOT approved tank. This is not legal in all states but I'm kind of a rebel, and I don't travel to California. Has anyone had any experience with a set up like this? Does anyone know where I can buy switches that fit in the factory blanked spots in the dash?

Thank You for all responses.

dlowry
I have a 41 gallon fuel tank only I got from www.tankandbarel.com mine fits under my tonneau cover and it's plumbed into my fuel neck on my gas tank I use a Carter fuel pump I don't use a switch in the dash I have a rocker switch with a cover like the red ones you flip the cover then flip the switch. Only run it when the truck is sitting still because it adds to your miles till empty on the dash if you run it while driving the miles to empty won't increase.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts