Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I recently had the ECM Relay Recall performed at the dealership. I noticed my truck didn't start on the first start attempt when I picked it up. Normally it starts immediately. Over the next week or so it constantly failed to start immediately. I figured the battery may have been getting weak so I had it and the alternator tested and both were good. Could the ECM Relay replacement have caused this? I also had the fuel level sending unit replaced.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I really doubt it. I had the recall done and starting is the same, but I had no bad symptoms prior to the recall.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Somebody likely left a connector partially off. Take it back to the dealer and have them check it out while the pressure is on them to find it so soon after the other work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't have any problems before the recall either. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SuddenUrge and TitanBlue, thanks for your input. The dealer had my truck for an entire week while I was out of town and said they couldn't reproduce the hard starting condition. I got it back and it did it within 3 starts. Today I was pulling off from a drive through window and noticed a electrical popping sound coming from the bottom of the engine by the driver side front wheel. I wonder if this is where the starter is located and maybe its going out? Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,606 Posts
The starter is underneath the intake manifold, kinda in the lifter valley on a regular cammed engine.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but what model and year trucks are affected by this recall? I originally thought my 05 was included, but I have yet to get anything from Nissan.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
SuddenUrge and TitanBlue, thanks for your input. The dealer had my truck for an entire week while I was out of town and said they couldn't reproduce the hard starting condition. I got it back and it did it within 3 starts. Today I was pulling off from a drive through window and noticed a electrical popping sound coming from the bottom of the engine by the driver side front wheel. I wonder if this is where the starter is located and maybe its going out? Any thoughts?
The starter is under the intake manifold at the rear. The ECU and IPDM is on the passenger side near the firewall.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I recently had the ECM Relay Recall performed at the dealership. I noticed my truck didn't start on the first start attempt when I picked it up. Normally it starts immediately. Over the next week or so it constantly failed to start immediately. I figured the battery may have been getting weak so I had it and the alternator tested and both were good. Could the ECM Relay replacement have caused this? I also had the fuel level sending unit replaced.
I had the same exact two recalls done a couple of weeks ago, and I've had no starting issues of any kind.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but what model and year trucks are affected by this recall? I originally thought my 05 was included, but I have yet to get anything from Nissan.
Mine is an '05 and I got postcards from Nissan for both recalls. I had heard that the ecm relay recall was coming and and already knew about the gas guage sending unit so I waited for it to come out and took it in for both recalls. Take your truck to Nissan and they can run the VIN# and see what recalls haven't been done.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
From sitting in the drivers seat, and also being next to a wall, it may be amplifying the sound of a loose connection at the starter. The noise may be a good clue. Not much electrical down bottom on the drivers side. Take a good look...

Reactions: GATitanGuy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
TitanBlue thanks for the advice. However, the crackling sound I heard turned out to be the balancing weights pulling off the chrome lining of my front driver-side wheel. Whenever the weights ended up on the top side of the wheel they fell down and hung by the chrome lining which was deteriorating. The starting problem has remained. I decided to take it to another dealership close to my house for a second opinion. They quickly diagnosed my problem as the fuel pump. I didn't have any problems with my fuel pump before the other dealership changed the sending unit. I contacted them and told them I expected them to take care of this but they claim nothing they did could have caused it. That burns me up. I've never had a fuel pump problem with my truck in the 6 years I've owned and all the sudden they want to say this problem coincidentally occurred after they worked on it. I may seek legal advice in this matter. Does the sending unit require the entire fuel pump assembly to be replaced?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Seeing as how you had the sending unit replaced I suspect they've hosed something up there. Check the connectors.

·
Registered
33 Posts
my truck has been doing the same(2005 cc 90k on it) I thought it was spark plugs at first but its not consistent enough usually it wont start easily sometimes if I run lots of errands like the 3rd or 5th start up of the day so it usually takes a second try to get it going. All I know is when i put the key in and turn it just before starting with accessories on and I wait until the seat belt dash light stops beeping like 3-5 secs and then start it she starts every time with no problems. not sure if its an alarm anti-theft starter thing but hey it works everytime lol. :redblob"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts