Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how they do in real heavy north eastern snow. I had a 02 blazer zr2 with the offroad package and i couldnt get stuck if i tried. I just bought a 08 4x4 crew cab. I didnt know if i would have to put sand bags in the back or what. I just have he stock goodyear tires on it now and i didnt know if i would need to upgrade to something better or what. I just dont want to have to worry about getting stuck i guess.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
You should have no worries... I have been through a NE winter and awaited new snowfalls with anxious aniticipation! It would take me 2 or 2.5 hours to get to work in this truck! I was having so much fun hunting down unplowed streets and plowing 20' snow angels with the OEM treads. I've got the LE so I have all the electronic goodies, but this thing not only goes well in snow, it also stops great! I was impressed with it's performance over my F150 4x4 that I traded in for it. Very stable and sure-footed.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I drove my Titan just fine with good years through the Rochester winters. No sandbags in back and I rarely needed 4x4.

·
Registered
92 Posts
150-200 pounds worth of sand bags in the back over the axle does help a tad and is no inconvenience to the truck.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I had no problems with my 4WD CC in the snow...even with those crappy Rugged Trails. Good Years are worse yet but I think you'll find that the truck handles just fine in the white stuff.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah, the titan has no issues is snow. The factory tires could be better, but even with them, the good ground clearance and ABLS can go a long way in getting up and down the hills around NE whether in 2WD or 4WD. I have driven around in 2WD in over 10 inches of snow with no issues. I have had to put it into 4WD to get up some bad, steep hills in Worcester.

Most roads around here are kept so clean with the massive amounts of salt that are dropped coupled with the 4X overload of snow contractors looking to plow anything for money that once you are out of the driveway, you are all set.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Same here. Great in snow!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Hey man, Colorado had one of its worst winters last year. We had drifts over 16' in my neighborhood. This was before my lift, and I got out through 3 foot packed snow. No problmes. Just dont stop when its that deep haha!:cheers:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yep, October storm last year in Buffalo = fun for me!!! I was one of the few people tooling around in that mess. As I passed my friend's house with him and his wife outside shoveling, all I got was an eye roll and a "Why am I not surprised that you are out having fun in this $h!t"

P.S.- I was on the stock tires at the time too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys im not worried at all now. After seeing some of those pics. Man i wish i would have bought a white one now after seeing the pics of the white one cause it looks clean in the snow, mine is black so it will prolly look white in the PA winter after the cover the ground in salt. I still may consider getting the BFG A/T anyways because i had them on my blazer.

·
Registered
575 Posts
it's really all about the tires a Tacoma with Blizzaks will outperform a stock Titan with the Goodwears. I tow sleds and the extra stopping and cornering grip of a true snow tire can not be beat!

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
They do OK. But like someone said. It's all in the tires.

Here is a pic from last year. I was out fishing with a friend all day and when we got back to the cabin my truck looked like this. Notice the box. It is completely filled with snow. It was a fun 3 hour drive home.

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
My Kumhos did exceptionally well last winter. Like another poster said you really hardly need four wheel drive, unless you're aiming for the big stuff. I just keep one sand tube in the back just in case I do get stuck and need to cut it open to get some traction. Haven't been close to that yet tho.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
OMNIHUGE said:
My Kumhos did exceptionally well last winter. Like another poster said you really hardly need four wheel drive, unless you're aiming for the big stuff. I just keep one sand tube in the back just in case I do get stuck and need to cut it open to get some traction. Haven't been close to that yet tho.
Are those the Road Venture AT tires?

I'm thinking about getting some. Are they noisey? Holding up well? etc. etc.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Def some impressive pics in here. I can't believe what you guys are pulling with the Ragged Trails, I compare driving in the snow with those tires to a near death experience. Maybe they were just really worn or something.

That being said, a little weight in the back makes a lot of difference. I usually run ~200 lbs. Use sand, so you can put it under the tires if you do get stuck.

This will be the first winter on Terras for me, so we'll see...

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I went one winter with the rugged trails on and put that on my list of things to never do again. There are certain wet snows we get here that made those tires undrivable. I put the BFG A/Ts on the next winter and they were great, one of the better tires for snow IMO. As said above, the Blizzaks are awesome tires. My mom has them on her Lexus 330 and that thing is cruises through snow.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts