Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that the Titan makes one appearance in NHTSA's complaint database. It appears someone put the transmission in park and it jumped into reverse on its own.

Now the complaints on the 04 F-150 make for some interesting reading.

Link

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had several instances of moving the (column) shift lever, and the gear indicator saying that it was in one mode, when really the vehicle is still mechanically in an adjacent gear.
I usually don't look at the indicator, but I've noticed that it's incorrect on occasion.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The report did not indicate what Titan model. My first reaction was USER ERROR due to unfamiliarity with the console shifter, but then this could be a column shifter which I can not speak for. Bought my LE early DEC 03 (3,700 miles to date) and no problems with the transmission.

I hope this is not a "SNOWMAN" report. :jester:

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's only happened a handfull of times.
It also seems to occur when moving the lever several positions, quickly.
Not a big deal, I can sense if I'm in park/neutral/reverse/drive.
I think that it's just that the lever sensor isn't accurate or slow,
relative to the actual position of the lever.
If you move the lever one position and back, it's fine.
Not a big deal, just weird.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Read the Dodge one too. The scariest thing from the Ford and Dodge complaints are the ones where the airbags failed to deploy - the Titan may be just as prone to this. Modern pickup bumpers are so high, that if the oncoming vehicle is a car under heavy braking I'll bet the car impacts so low on the truck that the bumper airbag sensors may not be engaged... (how's that for poor grammar :) )

·
Registered
473 Posts
<sorry plucky> no insult intended just is funny

I read that to my wife and the first thing she said was "Was it PluckYew who entered that in?"

ROFL!!! :rofl:
</ sorry plucky>

·
Registered
234 Posts
Coolhand said:
Modern pickup bumpers are so high, that if the oncoming vehicle is a car under heavy braking I'll bet the car impacts so low on the truck that the bumper airbag sensors may not be engaged...
Modern airbag systems use an accelerometer, which is an electronic device that measures changes in acceleration.

I wonder how many airbag deployment failures are due to electrical system/battery destruction milliseconds after the crash, before the airbag system has deployed.

-Steve

·
Registered
136 Posts
oh my ....i read about that dodge ram and it sounds so scary to drive near one now.I hope the 100s of people who drive the new Dodge Ram drive safely.

Note to self:Stay 100 feet away from Dodge Ram on highways ;)

"
A TWO YEAR OLD 38 POUND TODDLER WAS CLIMBING UP THE TAILGATE AND WAS ABLE TO RELEASE THE TAILGATE. AS A RESULT THE CHILD'S ARM BROKE. THE CONSUMER FEELS THE TAILGATE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN RELEASED SO EASILY. THIS INCIDENT ALSO PUT A DENT IN THE TAILGATE. *NM"

this one scares me the most...

"WHILE DRIVING AT 55 MPH CONSUMER FELT THAT VEHICLE STARTED RESPONDING SLUGGISHLY. AFTER A FEW MILES, CONSUMER NOTICED FIRE COMING FROM THE DRIVER'S SIDE REAR WHEEL. VEHICLE WAS COMPLETELY CONSUMED BY THE FIRE. THERE WERE NO INJURIES. POLICE AND THE FIRE DEPARTMENT RESPONDED TO THE SCENE. *AK"

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
WE RECENTLY PURCHASED A 2004 FORD F-150 SUPER CREW, MY 5 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER WAS GETTING INTO THE BACK SEAT OF THE VEHICLE, AND SHE PUT HER HAND INTO THE DOOR JAM AREA WHERE THERE IS WHAT LOOKS LIKE A "SCISSOR" HINGE. IF THE DOOR IS NOT ALL THE WAY OPEN AND A FINGER GETS CAUGHT IN THERE THE DOOR IF PUSHED OPEN CLOSES THE HINGE. MY DAUGHTERS TOP LEFT MIDDLE FINGER WAS ALMOST COMPLETELY SEVERED OFF. SHE WAS TAKEN TO A LOCAL HOSPITAL WHERE SHE RECEIVED STICHES AND WAS REFERRED TO A HAND SURGEON. THIS HINGE SHOULD BE LOOKED AT AND POSSIBLY REDESIGNED, THE ONLY WAY TO REMOVE HER FINGER FROM THE HINGE WAS TO CLOSE THE DOOR SLIGHTLY. *LA

ouch.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
sammy sandbag said:
WE RECENTLY PURCHASED A 2004 FORD F-150 SUPER CREW, MY 5 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER WAS GETTING INTO THE BACK SEAT OF THE VEHICLE, AND SHE PUT HER HAND INTO THE DOOR JAM AREA WHERE THERE IS WHAT LOOKS LIKE A "SCISSOR" HINGE. IF THE DOOR IS NOT ALL THE WAY OPEN AND A FINGER GETS CAUGHT IN THERE THE DOOR IF PUSHED OPEN CLOSES THE HINGE. MY DAUGHTERS TOP LEFT MIDDLE FINGER WAS ALMOST COMPLETELY SEVERED OFF. SHE WAS TAKEN TO A LOCAL HOSPITAL WHERE SHE RECEIVED STICHES AND WAS REFERRED TO A HAND SURGEON. THIS HINGE SHOULD BE LOOKED AT AND POSSIBLY REDESIGNED, THE ONLY WAY TO REMOVE HER FINGER FROM THE HINGE WAS TO CLOSE THE DOOR SLIGHTLY. *LA

ouch.
Jesus bagman. That's horrible. I sure am glad that your daughter still has her finger. That must have terrible to see, let alone experience. Do you happen to have a picture of the hinge that you are referring to so that we all can get a better idea?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I believe that Sandbag was posting an excerpt from the NTHSA website and that he does not own a '04 Supercrew.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
cshepherd said:
I believe that Sandbag was posting an excerpt from the NTHSA website and that he does not own a '04 Supercrew.
Ahhhhh...although I feel like an idiot right now, I feel much better knowing that it was not him. I must admit, I thought it was kinda strange, the whole F150 purchase and everything. I just figured he wanted two trucks. Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
kentd said:
I've had several instances of moving the (column) shift lever, and the gear indicator saying that it was in one mode, when really the vehicle is still mechanically in an adjacent gear.
I usually don't look at the indicator, but I've noticed that it's incorrect on occasion.
I had a little of this, I would move to reverse but stay in neutral. I mentioned this at first sevice. They tightened my shift cable and it has been perfect ever since.

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
VShortt said:
Ahhhhh...although I feel like an idiot right now, I feel much better knowing that it was not him. I must admit, I thought it was kinda strange, the whole F150 purchase and everything. I just figured he wanted two trucks. Thanks.

:jester: No, I definately couldn't afford another truck, but if I could it would be another Titan. Thanks for the concern, even though I have neither children nor a F150 (not sure which would be worse :) )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts