Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving from GA to WA, that's 3000 miles:teeth: . I do not want to use a 3rd party carrier. I have a compact car (chevy cobalt) and a Titan Crewcab:upsidedow .

My question is:

Can I put the Titan in the UHAUL, and put the Cobalt on a dolly vehicle trailer? Or the other way around? The Titan's dimesions will fit inside the UHAUL.

Is there another way to configure this without driving either the car or titan? I'd rather just put the miles on a UHAUL truck. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
You may go over the GVW especally if your going to be putting other stuff in their.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
get the biggest UHAUL -- put the cobalt in the Uhaul along with some other stuff and put the Titan on the trailer behind it. The moving companies put the cars inside the trailers and put blankets/plywood on them and stack lighter stuff on top of people's cars all the time. When the moving truck brought my stuff they had like a '75 Caddy in there too!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Wow, that a haul and moving from one coast to another. I wouldn't the swap to Savannah.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
I think the Titan may be too big for the U-haul auto transport depending on your wheel/tire size.
You better call and check first.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Depending on the amount of stuff going into the UHaul, I'd say put the truck in the box and tow the Cobalt.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
walleeme said:
I think the Titan may be too big for the U-haul auto transport depending on your wheel/tire size.
You better call and check first.
That's a good point - one transport I used from Uhaul had enough room to fit around a 33" tire while the second I used was a PITA getting around the tires on my wifey's Bonneville.

I think Uhaul has the transporters rated for 7,000lbs....
Fd

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Not to mention the PITA it will be to drive in and out. You will need a facility with a dock high and street high ramps.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks so far for the helpful responses. Budget has a 24' moving truck, and here are the dimensions:

The biggest Budget truck is:

Length 24
width 7'5
height 7'5
rear door height 7
rear door width 7'3
(there's more detailed specs at the Budget website)

Is that enough to squeeze the Titan Crew Cab in that? Sounds like I would end up crawling out the rear window...

It sounds like the Cobalt will be a easy squeeze, but wouldn't it be safer / better to put the titan in the truck and tow the Cobalt instead? I don't have a lot of experience towing either.

The Titan is left stock, and as far as packing other stuff goes, I could care less about my furniture! Ha! I'd sooner sell it and take care of the Titan instead! (but if it fits also, I wouldn't mind).

I'm also a little worried about liablity when driving in and out also...

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
you should have no prob putting the Cobalt in the U-haul, the Titan prob would be a huge PITA... have you checked to see how much a transporter would be to ship the Titan? or better yet check with the local rail yard to see the price to send it up to WA? If it's too much, maybe rent a dolly trailer for the rear of the U-haul and tow the Titan behind, but that'll be a whole lot of weight either way you go...

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Hmm
You might be crawling out the back of either vehicle - LOL
if you can't crawl out the back of the cobalt your mind might be made up for you.
I think you might be hard pressed to find a dock that you could drive up to and in to the back of a budget truck - they are somewhere like 43-46 inches off the ground so getting EITHER vehicle in a budget truck would be a MAJOR PITA.
If you are light on towing experience, I really don't see this as the time to "become experienced". You can ship your vehicle for less than the cost of gas in a Budget truck (prolly $800 look at all the transport Co's on Ebay motors)

I drove a 26' UHAUL from Des Moines, IA to Houston, TX that was packed FULL and had a Bonneville (4000lb car!) on the car carrier behind it. That was a bigger PITA than an 18 wheeler (as the 18 wheeler has the TQ, gear splits, and pivot point for that length. ) where the Uhaul does not.
My personal opinion is that a Uhaul would be better since it is lower to the ground and their big trucks can "kneel" when parked. should be able to get somewhere to get you in. The titan has the most ground clearance for a mis-matched entry/exit - the Chebby would have to be within 4-6 inches.

check the fluids on the Uhaul though-- some of their "service centers" don't even check the oil; ask me how I know....
Budget has newer vehicles but loading is difficult.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Unsafe and illegal to have a vehicle inside of a moving van especially a Titan. There is no secure places to chain a vehicle down properly. If you were to hit the brakes in an emergency, the vehicle would slide on the wood floor and bust through the cab of the U-Haul and probably kill you. A military member who did this almost died when he hauled a jeep wrangler inside of a U-Haul. He choked the wheels, locked it in 4-LO and set the emergency brake, but because it wasn't chained down, it slid through the vans wall and into the back of the cab after braking for someone who merged in front of him resulting in a very bad accident. Please find another solution.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I agree, it seems really unsafe. I would suggest putting the car on a trailer behind the Titan. Then find a friend, relative, etc. to travel with you and pay for their air fare back home.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
easy, rent a 2 dual car hauler and pull it behind the uhaul...with alllll your junk in the trunk :) lol

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Z-Hauler said:
Unsafe and illegal to have a vehicle inside of a moving van especially a Titan. There is no secure places to chain a vehicle down properly. If you were to hit the brakes in an emergency, the vehicle would slide on the wood floor and bust through the cab of the U-Haul and probably kill you. A military member who did this almost died when he hauled a jeep wrangler inside of a U-Haul. He choked the wheels, locked it in 4-LO and set the emergency brake, but because it wasn't chained down, it slid through the vans wall and into the back of the cab after braking for someone who merged in front of him resulting in a very bad accident. Please find another solution.
Very good point! I coulda swore that the 26' Uhaul I rented had the rings in the floor.... getting old and memory is fading - I do know it was a metal floor :teethmast

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
killcatzforfun said:
easy, rent a 2 dual car hauler and pull it behind the uhaul...with alllll your junk in the trunk :) lol
I've never seen a two car hauler for rent!
should someone with limited towing experience tow a twin car hauler?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Fox Delta said:
I've never seen a two car hauler for rent!
should someone with limited towing experience tow a twin car hauler?

why not ? its just a flat bed trailer... If you can rent a single car hauler why not a double??? if your really uncomfortable with towing go buy one of those rear view cameras...but im not too sure if the uhaul can tow that much...

·
Registered
690 Posts
Fox Delta said:
Very good point! I coulda swore that the 26' Uhaul I rented had the rings in the floor.... getting old and memory is fading - I do know it was a metal floor :teethmast
Well for the newer vans, they have an aluminum floor, but the tie down rings aren't for securing vehicles since they aren't nearly as strong enough to keep the vehicle secured properly. They are only for tying down furniture so nothing tips over.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts