Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my new Titan Crew Cab from the dealer a few days ago and I can't say enough about how good this truck is. When I went to buy one at my local dealers they were in really short supply. They only had about four trucks at each dealership-not much to choose from. When you spend a lot of money on a new truck you don't want to compromise in any way on color or options-and I didn't. My wife used the internet to search dealerships in a three state region for the Titan of my liking and a dealship about seventy miles from home in another state had one on its way from the plant. We immediately called the dealer and staked a claim on the truck of my dreams and told the salesman to hold it until I could get to the bank for down payment money. I would advise anyone to do this because as soon as these trucks hit the lot somebody buys them. I had already test driven the truck that didn't have a tow package so I knew how it felt on the road and what the driving experience was all about. When the truck came in a gave it a good inspection and test drive and then signed the deal. I think this is the best way to get what truck you want in a hurry.

The Titan is a sharp look truck that everyone notices its presence.

When I drove my new Titan to work for the first time I stopped at a country store to buy some sausage biscuits to eat on the way. What a mistake! Every person that was in the store wanted to come out and look at my truck and have me show them everyting about it. I was almost late for work!

Two days later when I drove down I-49 numerous other pickup truck drivers would turn their necks all the way around like Linda Blair in the Exorcist trying to get a second look as they passed. This happens ALL the time. It's really something to see. My wife and I get a real kick out of all the attention our new truck gets.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the Popular Package, Big Tow Package, and the Utility Bed Package.

·
Registered
339 Posts
How does the ride of the truck differ with the Tow package? Are the gears the same with and without the tow package. Other than the mirrors, temp gauge, tow push button, what else do you get with the tow package?
I can't wait to order mine at the end of the year...:p

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In addition to what you mentioned these items were listed on the sticker under the Big Tow Package: Heavy Duty Battery (710 CCA), Lower Final Axle Ratio, Transmission Temp Gauge, Vehicle Dynamic Control (w /Active Brake Limited Slip) Not listed on the sticker, but also noteworthy is that the Big Tow package includes wiring for electric brakes if the trailer you are pulling has them. I haven't had time to check it out yet, but it looks like my truck has a transmission oil cooler also. I can see coils with fins on them with an electric fan in front, next to the radiator. I don't know if it is standard or comes with the Big Tow package. Also I read somewhere that the transmission pan has a drain plug on it so that the fluid can easily be changed without dropping the pan--another nice feature. The mirrors are nice because you can telescope them out to be able to see if you are pulling a travel trailer, covered trailer, horse trailer, etc.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The towing package does include a transmission cooler and gauge.

The plug on the pan is trouble. If the transmission fluid is just drained and refilled the filter will never be serviced. Take it from me that is potential trouble down the line. Same as changing your oil without the filter. Swapping the fluid is good but not complete, especially when towing.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks for the input on the BIG TOW package. I'm not a first time truck owner but, as I get older I'm finding things that I need to pull so I will soon be a first time trailer owner. I never had to deal with pulling a trailer in the past but, now I have plans for a 28' - 30' travel trailer in the near future.
With the final lower gear ratio how does that effect your top end speed or gas milage on the highway?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Not all tow hitches are the same!

Having installed 6 so far, I have to say Reese is the easiest! On all of the other companies, I had to make minor modifications or drill the frame to get holes that lined up. Reese hitches seam to align correctly the first time and every time. But that is just my cents. It has been 10 years with the current tow vehicle, so I have not had to put one one in a while.

I ordered the Tow package so I would not have to do the wire work. In the glove box is a connector for the electric break pedals. You just match up the wires and plug it in! Nice feature!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Towing

pyromedic/Doghouse, here is a link to a post I made on an rv'ing forum about the Titan's towing ability (which includes a link to a couple of pics to our setup). The forum is extremely informative on trailer/towing related issues: http://www.woodalls.com/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/13238742.cfm

I have heard good things about Reese and the Equalizer and Hensley brand hitches. I liked the EQ becuase it wasn't as expensive as the Hensley and did not have the chains like the Reese. No welded or drilling is required for the Equalizer as well: http://www.equalizerhitch.com

I usually drive between 60-70mph on the interstate's depending on conditions but that's as fast as I would recommend. I think a 28 ft ultralite trailer is as long as I would go with the Titan though. Otherwise, you may encounter sway and stability problems with something longer or larger.

Doghouse it correct that the Titan comes prewired with a 7 pin connector on the hitch-receiver in addition to a wiring harness for the brake controller (that you have to purchase separately-I recommend the Prodigy Controller) that controls the trailers electric brakes.

What can I say about the mirrors...they are one of the best features of any half ton out there that anyone intends on towing with!

·
Registered
470 Posts
The lower rear end will make it easier to tow but gas mileage will suffer. there are several types of hitches as you have heard. I have towed for years from a sixteen foot aluminum boat to a thirty footer, weighing nearly four tons. With a travel trailer make sure the trailer has brakes and look into buying an equalizer typehitch. There are several products which will control sway.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts