1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=124481#5
Nissan Still Thinking Diesel for Trucks

Date posted: 01-24-2008

DETROIT — Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. remains committed to diesel power for its Titan pickup in the U.S., a key product-planning executive told Inside Line at the recent Detroit auto show.

Tom Lane, Nissan's corporate vice president for product strategy and the product planning division, says, "The market is a complete bloodbath," but admits Nissan "could do a better job selling the Titan."

However, he refutes rumors that have suggested Nissan is considering dropping the Titan, saying, "We're not planning on getting out of this."

In fact, just the opposite: Lane implies Nissan remains committed to adding diesel power for the Titan.

"I would expect Nissan to have diesel trucks in the future," he says. "Fuel efficiency for trucks is a huge issue — and it's a good powertrain for the truck customer." Lane declines to mention when the diesel option will be in showrooms, however.

Lane adds that Nissan is not necessarily trying to pull domestic-pickup buyers.

"We want to be a little different," he says, while noting that it's also difficult to steal buyers from Ford, GM and Chrysler because of the intense brand loyalty in the pickup segment. Nonetheless, Nissan's continuing commitment to diesel power can be seen as an effort to remain competitive with domestic brands — after all, each of Detroit's Big Three has guaranteed diesel engines for their light-duty pickups, beginning with '09 models.

It once was believed to be a near-certainty Nissan would source its pickup diesel from an independent engine maker such as International Engine or Cummins, but the outside chance remains that Nissan could adapt a large V6 diesel made by partner Renault SA; a Renault-developed and manufactured 3.0-liter V6 diesel will be seen in '10 for the next-generation Maxima.

What this means to you: Tales of Nissan's abandonment of the full-size-pickup market appear to be highly exaggerated. — Bill Visnic, Correspondent

·
Registered
503 Posts
That's good news, and it's even refreshing to hear someone from Nissan admit they could do a better job marketing the Titan. I hope this means better commercials / adverstising in the future. Hopefully we'll see a diesel Titan in showrooms in a few years...just in time for me to get a new truck when this one is paid off!

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Good news, now Nissan just needs to hurry up and get a diesel out to compete with the competition who are all going to have diesels in the next year or two.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
HOORAY!!!! :redblob" I'm sure Nissan will come out with the diesel when all the others do. I just hope they have a 3/4 ton version by then also.

·
Super Moderator
162,274 Posts
Good news indeed.

“The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated” – Mark Twain

It seems this is also true of our beloved Titan. :D At this point, I think even a 6 cylinder diesel as an option in the 1/2 ton would be a great addition. As long as it can keep our current towing capacity with it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Oh man! That's awesome! I need a minute...:crying: Whew, alright that's better. This news is actually surprising in light of all the other rumors amd threads we have here.
It's also refreshing the hear the Nissan execs admitting there needs to be more effort in marketing/sales/drivetrains of the Titan. You know, there may be more lurkers here seeking info to take back to Nissan Corp. than we think....Maybe our opinions do count.

·
Super Moderator
162,274 Posts
niceun said:
You know, there may be more lurkers here seeking info to take back to Nissan Corp. than we think....Maybe our opinions do count.
I would bet my last dollar that the focus group process of ANY manufacturer includes visiting boards such as this. It would be critical for the manufacturer to know what they have that's a "hit", and what's a "miss", and what do the faithful want. Market growth is critical, but part of that equation is also retention. Growing your sales while losing fewer existing owners when they trade in increases your net in the market share number. They wouldn't want to have to reinvent the wheel each time with each model year, so to speak, but rather improve it. Having said that, how heavily the "lurkers" input weighs in to the corporate decisioning is anybody's guess. :dunno:

·
Registered
452 Posts
I definitely don't want the Titan to go away, but the only question I have is will the next Titan be a Titan, or will it be a Ram with a different nose? Since Nissan has that partnership with Chrysler, there's no telling

·
Registered
41,353 Posts
GREAT!!!!

Now when I pay mine off, they will still be around to go buy another one! LOL

REally this is GREAT news for us loyal owners

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
juscuzram said:
I definitely don't want the Titan to go away, but the only question I have is will the next Titan be a Titan, or will it be a Ram with a different nose? Since Nissan has that partnership with Chrysler, there's no telling
I thought that the rumors of that have already been quelled....

If they come up with a fuel efficient diesel (25+ mpg) while keeping the towing capacity, I will be sold...

·
Registered
662 Posts
Whew, I was so scared that the Titan was going away. I guess I don't need to be scared anymore:grimrippe

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Great Thread! It makes lots of sense too, about time they understood! :)

For a good look at what can be, search for info on the GM 4.5L Diesel. It is quite an unusual design, full of surprises in design and performance for that size. Diesels are looking better all the time, just hope the price is competitive.

·
Super Moderator
162,274 Posts
TitanBlue said:
Great Thread! It makes lots of sense too, about time they understood! :)

For a good look at what can be, search for info on the GM 4.5L Diesel. It is quite an unusual design, full of surprises in design and performance for that size. Diesels are looking better all the time, just hope the price is competitive.
...that will be the litmus test for many of us. Nissan has always done a great job in the bang for the buck category, so I'm hopeful.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Did you guys notice the language that was used in that article?

For example-"However, he refutes rumors that have suggested Nissan is considering dropping the Titan, saying, "We're not planning on getting out of this."
What rumor, his boss Ghosen, the CEO said Nissan would consider dropping the Titan if they can't make a profit.

In fact, just the opposite: Lane implies Nissan remains committed to adding diesel power for the Titan.
Key word here is implies, that means that Lane never said the Titan was going to get a diesel, the author inferred from Lane's statement.

What this means to you: Tales of Nissan's abandonment of the full-size-pickup market appear to be highly exaggerated. — Bill Visnic, Correspondent
Based on what? What a VP says or what the CEO says.
Why doesn't the VP come right out say that the Titan isn't going to be canceled and that there will be a diesel, instead of using language that can be interpreted to mean nearly anything you want?

·
Super Moderator
37,257 Posts
skyhammer said:
Did you guys notice the language that was used in that article?

For example-"However, he refutes rumors that have suggested Nissan is considering dropping the Titan, saying, "We're not planning on getting out of this."
What rumor, his boss Ghosen, the CEO said Nissan would consider dropping the Titan if they can't make a profit.

Key word here is implies, that means that Lane never said the Titan was going to get a diesel, the author inferred from Lane's statement.

Why doesn't the VP come right out say that the Titan isn't going to be canceled and that there will be a diesel, instead of using language that can be interpreted to mean nearly anything you want?
Leave it to you. . .

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Nice! I'd like to think that this little piece of the internet and it's enthusiasm for this truck may have had something to do with it!

·
Registered
483 Posts
We know and Nissan knows that the Titan is a winner they just need to tweek it here, and there and add more configurations that people want and need. Infiniti is proof that Nissan can get the job done when they want to just keep Renault out of the mix because those Frenchies don't understand us anyway and the Titan will be just fine.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
skyhammer said:
Why you ask?? Does this need really need explanation? Here, lets walk through it, shall we?

If there is intent to cancel a program, announcing it will certainly affect sell through of existing inventory. From a business perspective, why put yourself in a position to stifle any potential for remaining profitable during inventory sell through? Answer, it would be stupid to announce a product cancellation.

Why not speak directly? Marketing is a two fold process. You want to announce product developments to measure and stir up interest, but you do not want to lay out your two year product strategy in great detail. That would be stupid. You also want to maintain flexibility in your statements so that you can remain flexible with your product development, yet remain credible with your marketing announcements.

Lastly, why do you care? You had two bad trucks, you got something you like, so move on. Your constant emergence her and your Tundratalk Titan bashing is really unhealthy. I feel for any of your past girlfriends for enduring countless years of stalkng and torment when things go sour.

·
Registered
591 Posts
MuskyHunter said:
Lastly, why do you care? You had two bad trucks, you got something you like, so move on. Your constant emergence her and your Tundratalk Titan bashing is really unhealthy. I feel for any of your past girlfriends for enduring countless years of stalkng and torment when things go sour.
Git 'em boy!! I hate to say it, but with as much tact as I can muscle, the posts He adds are usually aimed at taunt and angst from His past Titan experiences. Truly, I don't like to hear of people who have real problems with their vehicles; My money goes no further than yours. When you've spent $xx,xxx on a vehicle and you have troubles, it gets next to you. There's no need for someone to stick the needle in deeper when you're down. Post positive ideas and replies and be tactful.

His is an early 5.7L and will he come here to 'fess up when his cams break like some other 5.7L owners have? Not likely, though I would still feel compassion for the simple fact he's hit hard times. Would I taunt him for buying a Tundra? Not likely, because every make and model has shortfall sometimes. Please, just don't rub the proverbial face in it. :soap:

·
Super Moderator
93,866 Posts
konigfritz said:
GREAT!!!!

Now when I pay mine off, they will still be around to go buy another one! LOL

REally this is GREAT news for us loyal owners
I'll second that :cheers:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts