Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 LE with the off road package. I am curious how the Titan will be off road compared to a Jeep Wrangler, FJ Cruiser or even an H2.
My Neighbor has a Wrangler with a 6" lift, I know I cannot hang with that, and I am a little afraid to take my $39k truck with 1500 miles off road. I know that is what it is made for, but I may have to wait for a few scratches and dings before I hit the heavy stuff. Any pics of a stock Titan going up grades and mudding would be great so I can get a feel for what she will do. What would you rate it on a scale of 1 - 10 for stock off road 4X4 vehicles?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Keep in mind you pay to play. A stock Titan is good for some mild to medium off roading like old fire roads and such, but I wouldn't go rock crawling or driving it through mid door deep puddles or mud unless you accept the downsides of what could happen in each instance. The Wranglers and FJ's have a huge advantage being smaller and narrower.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will it go through 1 foot of mud pretty easily?:teethmast

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Search the forum here. There have been off road comparos that put the Titan ahead of the H2. Jeeps short front and rear overhangs makes it hard to beat.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Here's my '04 on a hill. If you look at the f/r door handles you can get an idea of the grade. With a locker and when in the lowest gear, they will almost idle up some very steep hills. Btw this was when it was stock and had OEM tires. Does even better now.
Btw, (except for the skid plate), my Titan's only scratches are from low life parking lot scum.

Remember, when trying to keep your tires on a couple of ridges, keep it slow so you don't bounce into a rut, or roll off a bank. This video shows another good reason for going light on the throttle, and why our longer wheel base is an advantage at times. Trail Rated

Attachments

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Here's John Harden getting stuck in the mud. He actually high centered.

Here's one of me hitting the same mud hole @ 40 mph.

Climbing the articulation steps @ Gorman.

And some trail driving

Haven't really had a chance to push it much since I got the new lift and tires. I was too busy un stucking other trucks. Then my transfer case started acting up, so I called it a day.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I own a new 4x4 titan and 2005 wrangler, and on tight twisty mountain trails the Jeep will outshine any truck....Ecspecially a crew or extra cab truck....But I feel my truck has the advantage in the sand and mud over my jeep, maybe just because of the power of the truck over the jeep....I have climbed some of the same spots in my truck and Jeep, and because of the Jeeps weight distrubution I can do it in 2wd and must be in 4wd in my titan..But you are exactly right about scratching my truck, I have taken my Jeep in way more spots than I will take my truck right now....Anyway they are both awesome vehicles in there own rights..

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would say you will have to have a lift kit to even keep up with a Jeep or H2. The stock ground clearance is great on the Titan, but the break over angle is just not up to par. Here are a couple of video clips of some mild off roading. Keep in mind I did all of this with a broken front axle (happened while climbing some rock ledges, pay to play indeed).

Break over angle test with Titan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnhE_t-Fvp8

Now the same hill with a stock 4-runner:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK_49NzZYmg

As for the mudding inquiry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBv4nmvv8Fo

Happy 'wheeling!:)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Smoke05 said:
Keep in mind you pay to play. A stock Titan is good for some mild to medium off roading like old fire roads and such, but I wouldn't go rock crawling or driving it through mid door deep puddles or mud unless you accept the downsides of what could happen in each instance. The Wranglers and FJ's have a huge advantage being smaller and narrower.
Agreed. But one thing no one has mentioned is that the Jeeps and smaller vehicles also have an advantage in weight. Having a heavy pickup is nice in a lot of situations. But for getting from point A to point B off road, a light little Wrangler is ideal.

I heard the new Xterras are good off road. Better than the Yota FJs. Anyone own one that can confirm this?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought a '03 Xterra new, and never got stuck. Even w/ mud all the way up to the ding guard.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I did some mild rock climbing with my Titan. It did the job fine but I did end up with some big gouge on my rear bumper. If your just doing some mild off roading then it's ok but if it requires pretty big rocks, I wouldn't do it again. I also got a lot of scratches from it too because this isn't exactly a narrow truck. If your seriouse about offroading (like rock climbing) then get a used jeep, that will pretty much climb anything and takes very sharp turns easily. I had to backup my truck several times because it was just way to long.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mine has taken me everywhere I wanted to go. That includes some gnarly trails, but no serious rock crawling. It's just too big for that. Makes for an excellent "expedition vehicle" becuase it carries a lot of stuff and can go most places. Some of the trails get a little narrow for it. I have "Arizona pinstripes" down both sides as a result, but that's why I bought a truck.

Like others have said, the ground clearance is not a problem. Not only is it already fairly high off the ground, it is also well protected under there. But the approach and departure angles leave a lot to be desired resulting in some tough situations in the rocks.

·
Registered
686 Posts
NorCal 4x4 said:
Remember, when trying to keep your tires on a couple of ridges, keep it slow so you don't bounce into a rut, or roll off a bank. This video shows another good reason for going light on the throttle, and why our longer wheel base is an advantage at times. Trail Rated
Wow... Thats gotta hurt.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I helped my buddy dispose of some yard debris off the beaten path and he was really surprised how well my truck did. In the middle of climbing a pretty steep and rutted hill he goes, "Man, having four wheel drive is nice." I was like, "Yeah it is, but this truck is two wheel drive."

He couldn't beleive it. :lol:

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Titan is for sure one of the best off road trucks.

H2's are pretty crappy offroad, heavy and I don't believe they handle very well. I'd put almost any similar equiped full size truck before H2 probably.

Jeeps are the rock climbers and are very good offroad. hard to beat a little jeep! they can go anywhere and won't high center as easily jsut add some power and suspension and off you go.

I plan to offroad in alot of sand, I think the titan really shines here, but I have sceen some really sick streatched jeeps (probably offroad only) that will blow the titan out of the water. It sure isn't an ATV or Dune buggy!

How about the new V8 Xterra or was it the pathfinder, they are smaller and one has the same motor as the titan I believe? I wonder how they do! probably smoke the FJ.

For a truck it's definately among the best, as a vehicle yes there are better.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
We offroad the Titan all the time, and it got it's AZ pinstripes when it had 300 miles on it. It is a very competent 4x4.
This little thing is also pretty competent and we OR the snot out of it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
The Titan is great off road. The only things I thought that needed changing was the rear traction - Bought a true trac, front was a bit too low - Got the 2.5" front lift, and the Bridgestone Dueler 693 II stock tires SUCKED - Got Goodyear Wrangler w/ SAT.

Though I haven't installed the true trac yet, the other two modifications made a BIG improvement off roading.

Now the only thing I have to complain about is that the fan clutch is too damn sensitive.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
i take my truck "off road" all the time! it does fabulous in the dirt parking lot at the track... :ftard:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts