Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello folks,

I would like to remind those of you that have not yet changed your oil to remember to make sure that the oil filter wrench that you have will fit the Titan oil filter before you start your oil change. It is really small! Please see the attached photo for relative size comparison.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Bayou Titan said:
Hello folks,

I would like to remind those of you that have not yet changed your oil to remember to make sure that the oil filter wrench that you have will fit the Titan oil filter before you start your oil change. It is really small! Please see the attached photo for relative size comparison.
Yes, it is true, I use the same Oil filters from Nissan on my Titan as my Frontier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Bayou Titan said:
Hello folks,

I would like to remind those of you that have not yet changed your oil to remember to make sure that the oil filter wrench that you have will fit the Titan oil filter before you start your oil change. It is really small! Please see the attached photo for relative size comparison.
why is the titan filter so small, i have asked my dealer how nissan can use this small filter when every other manufacturer uses triple that size of filter for v8 engines :huh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
Just wanted you to know. For those that have motorcycles, a standard motorcycle Oil filter wrench socket fits perfectly. Its amazing but the filter is the same size as my motorcycle filter. It was a snap to take off with the wrench.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
its funny you guys should mention this tonight. I just spent the better part of an hour and a half on my back using all of my backwoods engineering skills to get my filter off for the first time. My arms and shoulders are going to hurt tomorrow.

I almost dropped the whole skidplate to give me more room. By the way the little oil gutter is a good idea except it is really good for taking the top few layers of skin off of your knuckles. :crying:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
jeeptug said:
its funny you guys should mention this tonight. I just spent the better part of an hour and a half on my back using all of my backwoods engineering skills to get my filter off for the first time. My arms and shoulders are going to hurt tomorrow.

I almost dropped the whole skidplate to give me more room. By the way the little oil gutter is a good idea except it is really good for taking the top few layers of skin off of your knuckles. :crying:
If all else fails, stick a screwdriver through it and turn. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
bvstone1 said:
If all else fails, stick a screwdriver through it and turn. :)
Be carefull it is tight in there, may not be able to turn the driver once you jam it in.

My elbow still is sore after about 3 weeks from removing the first filter.

I am researching installing an Amsoil remote filter setup.

Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
jeeptug said:
its funny you guys should mention this tonight. I just spent the better part of an hour and a half on my back using all of my backwoods engineering skills to get my filter off for the first time. My arms and shoulders are going to hurt tomorrow.

I almost dropped the whole skidplate to give me more room. By the way the little oil gutter is a good idea except it is really good for taking the top few layers of skin off of your knuckles. :crying:
This may be really stupid...How do you get to the filter without dropping the whole skidplate?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JGTitan said:
This may be really stupid...How do you get to the filter without dropping the whole skidplate?
You have to remove the skid plate. Use a 10mm socket with an extension to remove the skid plate. The holes in the rear of the skid plate are slotted so don't remove these bolts all the way and it will make it easier to put the skid plate back on after you replace the filter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
JGTitan said:
This may be really stupid...How do you get to the filter without dropping the whole skidplate?
The skid plate only has four bolts, the front two have to be removed, the back two just loosened. The skid plate has slots for the two rear bolts to make installing it easier. They also put tabs in front of the front two screws to hold the plate up when you re-install it. Good idea. A 10 mm socket, it took me two minutes to take off the skid plate. The filter removal and install is a breeze then, the drip pan for the filter is a great idea!! No mess at all. I don't think Nissan intended for anyone to change the filter without removing the plate. The transmission cooler hoses are right by the filter, and the front stabilizer bar is just below. The plate only weighs a few pounds. Maybe it is different on the off-road package, mine is the SE 4x4 without off-road or bigtow, but should at least be the same design for removal. The bolts are a little weak, I torqued one head off when I put it back on, and had to drill it out and replace it with a new bolt. Otherwise, I was pleased with what changing the filter and oil entailed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,198 Posts
I was amazed that my Frontiers oil filter was as small as it is for a V6, but at least I can easily change the oil myself. Was hoping oil changes on the Titan would be easy too. I am shocked however that the filter is the same size as my Fronty's. Holy cow, thats small for a V8!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,763 Posts
Fortunately I negotiated for free oil changes for life when I bought the truck. Best deal I ever made. Drive in with no appointment and drive out 30 minutes later with new oil and filter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
The off road package skid plate has an access hole that is held on by four allen bolts. Good idea but it limits how much leverage you can get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
got_titan said:
why is the titan filter so small, i have asked my dealer how nissan can use this small filter when every other manufacturer uses triple that size of filter for v8 engines :huh:
Nissan uses only two diffrent oil filters for all of the newer vehicles.(from 98 and up except the quest!)They use the one for the Titan and another one that is a little smaller!! They just use better technology which enables them to use smaller filters!!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top