Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our manulal says to switch from 2wd to 4wd-Hi at below 60 MPH, but what is the max. cruising speed on 4wd-Hi mode?

for example, on a Wrangler a is not susposed to exceed 70 MPH engaged on 4wd-Hi mode.

i noticed that the rpm does not change at all at 70 mph on 4wd-Hi, revving at 2050 rmp... so 4wd-hi mode is not likely to affect mpg milage much. there are times when the multi-lane highway is wet that 4wd hi driving mode maybe desirable, to PREVENT any sliding around from unexpected puddles with oil. slowing down too much means having other lunatic fast drivers having to pass around me...now, i prefere to be THE lunatic doing the passing (and i've not yet hit anyone YET in the two decades that i've been driving since was was 16)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
pluckyew said:
Our manulal says to switch from 2wd to 4wd-Hi at below 60 MPH, but what is the max. cruising speed on 4wd-Hi mode?

for example, on a Wrangler a is not susposed to exceed 70 MPH engaged on 4wd-Hi mode.
hey plucky i would say that 60 mph is the limit but thats my personal opinion and may be higher but i would not drive any faster than that

·
Registered
174 Posts
pluckyew said:

i noticed that the rpm does not change at all at 70 mph on 4wd-Hi, revving at 2050 rmp... so 4wd-hi mode is not likely to affect mpg milage much. there are times when the road is wet that 4wd hi driving mode maybe desirable/safer.
It will Suck more gas, the engin is moving more parts = more load = Lower gas milage! Like turning on your ac but on a bigger scale! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
"i noticed that the rpm does not change at all at 70 mph on 4wd-Hi. . . .there are times when the road is wet that 4wd hi driving mode maybe desirable/safer."

Maybe it would be safer to slow down to below 70 mph when the roads are so slick as to require 4WD?

·
Registered
250 Posts
pluckyew said:
i noticed that the rpm does not change at all at 70 mph on 4wd-Hi, revving at 2050 rmp... so 4wd-hi mode is not likely to affect mpg milage much. there are times when the road is wet that 4wd hi driving mode maybe desirable/safer.
Personally, I would never drive on wet pavement in 4WD at those speeds. Since the Titan does not have a center differential, there would be substantial drivetrain binding, and the risk of serious damage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts