Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in purchasing a 4X4 Titan SE (I will probably order it) with the Offroad, SE Popular with Bench and SE Utility Bed Packages. This will be my daily commuter here in Phoenix (despite the MPG) but will see offroad use in Arizona and Northern New Mexico (not major rockcrawling, but deeply rutted dirt roads with lots of mud, snow and ice on occasion at high altitude). I’m purchasing it for transporting family and friends and large items (including my ATV in the bed), using it for road trips, camping, etc. I’ve had SUV’s before, both large and small, but I believe I’ll find the Titan to be more useful for hauling stuff (and at a smaller price tag). The question is, what option packages would you experienced owners opt for?

Is the Offroad package a good idea given my use or will I be trading off the ride quality for the occasional offroad jaunt?
Should I consider the Big Tow Package to get the VDC (I almost never tow - make that never tow) and is the money worth it just for VDC?
Is the Rockford Fosgate with Bench Package worth the upgrade over the SE Popular Package with Bench (6 CD, 6 speakers) - I enjoy a good sound system, but I’m not listening at huge volumes (I’m not likely to listen to much rap, but I will listen to the occasional AC/DC CD as well as more mellow tunes).

You’re thoughts and experience are appreciated.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Opt. pkgs.

You should certainly get the Offroad pkg. If you don't tow, then you wont need the tow package, and if you need to tow, just get a hitch and save some bucks....you will still be able to haul 6500lbs.

·
Registered
779 Posts
80% of 6500# is 5200#, still alot to tow

80% (the sustained towing limit, according to people who tow) of 6500# is 5200#, still alot to tow.
then again, the lower parabolic mirriors of the tow package are handy for parkin'

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Chris,

Welcome to the Titan :upsidedow

If your gonna do some light off-roading, the O-R package should be on your shopping list.

As far as the Big Tow, we got it as there are plans for a Travel Trailer later.

The Pop Pkg for us was enough. We wanted the bench for 6 and the 6 Disc player is adequate...but if your an audiofile of any regard, you may want the RF Pkg.

Also, don't know on how much you plan on using the bed, but I personally like the Bed Pkg with the coating already applied.

Basically, you would probably love my truck! ROFL

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome CaliforniaTitan - I like the smoke color of your truck and if it was a crew cab I'd be knocking on your door to borrow the keys. I will definitely go for the offroad package - I pretty much thought I would but your comments convinced me. I also appreciate the comments on the Big Tow package - since I'm unlikely to tow (and if I did it'd be a light trailer) I think I'll hold off on that package (if I need a hitch I can add one later) since no one's suggested that VDC is worth the cost. The Bench for us is the way to go over the captains chairs since we don't want to give up the space for an extra passenger (or our dogs) when the need arises. I'm not yet convinced that the Rockford Fosgate is worth the extra $500 over the Popular Package, but I am kindof a stereo junkie so I may not be able to resist. However, my 7 year old is lobbying for a DVD (not the nissan dvd but an aftermarket), so I may have to skip the stereo upgrade. Thanks again to all of you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone. I haven't got my Titan yet, but I will pretty soon. I have a question regarding towing. I have heard that Nissan suggests that you do not tow a 5th Wheel or Gooseneck. Has anyone heard this?

Secondly, is there a rule of thumb concerning towing? In other words, I am looking at the LE Crew CAb 4X2. With the big tow package, I believe it can tow 9500 lbs. The 5th Wheel weighs about 8,000 lbs. dry. I imagine I will add 1000 lbs more that I would be hauling. Is this ok? I think I heard somwhere that you should only tow about 80% of the trucks towing capability.

Thanks.

·
Banned
361 Posts
chrisaz, i have the RF, and i like it, but it's not the greatest. there are lots of threads on here in the audio section about guys that have replaced large parts of the system, like the whole thing. the RF is better than the stock, but if you're the type that likes to rip the speakers and put in a high end aftermarket system, then don't spend the extra money on the RF.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Chris, On your question on ride quality trade-offs, I've test driven both standard and Off-Road package Titan 4x4's. There is a noticeable difference with the OR package. My belief is that it is the tires more than the suspension upgrades. The standard Goodyears are smoother, much more responsive, and provide a little better feedback than the BFG's on the OR package. It wasn't nearly as dramatic as some HD and OR packages offered by the "big 3" in the 80's and 90's, but there is a difference.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Chrisaz said:
I am interested in purchasing a 4X4 Titan SE (I will probably order it) with the Offroad, SE Popular with Bench and SE Utility Bed Packages. This will be my daily commuter here in Phoenix (despite the MPG) but will see offroad use in Arizona and Northern New Mexico (not major rockcrawling, but deeply rutted dirt roads with lots of mud, snow and ice on occasion at high altitude). I’m purchasing it for transporting family and friends and large items (including my ATV in the bed), using it for road trips, camping, etc. I’ve had SUV’s before, both large and small, but I believe I’ll find the Titan to be more useful for hauling stuff (and at a smaller price tag). The question is, what option packages would you experienced owners opt for?

Is the Offroad package a good idea given my use or will I be trading off the ride quality for the occasional offroad jaunt?
Should I consider the Big Tow Package to get the VDC (I almost never tow - make that never tow) and is the money worth it just for VDC?
Is the Rockford Fosgate with Bench Package worth the upgrade over the SE Popular Package with Bench (6 CD, 6 speakers) - I enjoy a good sound system, but I’m not listening at huge volumes (I’m not likely to listen to much rap, but I will listen to the occasional AC/DC CD as well as more mellow tunes).

You’re thoughts and experience are appreciated.
Chrisaz

Welcome from another fellow Arizonan.

I have a KC 4X4 with off-road, RF with captains, and tow package. I am happy with mine, but it does ride a little rough or what I believe a truck would normally ride like. I think the suspension is a little oversprung. On somewhat rough roads, not kept up, you can feel the bumping and jiggling in the cab. However, on good pavement and concrete, it is very smooth. I think the only problem I really notice is when I hit an expansion joint. That feels harsh for a moment.

That said, this is not my every day commute although I drive it about 60 miles round trip several times a week.

Not sure if I helped you any.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts