Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am glad i found this site. I have some questions and please be honest :)

i have an 06 F150 Liariat 4x4 screw that i purchased new in 06. It's been back at the dealer a few times for nagging little issues. The same issues in fact. So i don't want to blame this on the truck but also the dealer. I seem to be dealing with idiots at the shop.

I am thinking about getting rid of the f150. Now, i have been a Ford fan for a while. i have had a few other f150's in my day and all have been rock solid. never had any issues until the new 2006.

I am getting more interested in the titan as the days go by. i don't know anyone who has one so i haven't been able to get many opinions. What can you guys tell me about the titan? I need help learning about the issues with the titan, any items that i should be concerned about and general overall feeling about the switch. Have any of you owned a ford and made the switch? Please help. I don't want to go on what the dealer tells me as gospel.

I do alot of towing, 19 foot bass boat, 4 place snowmobile trailer with sleds, etc... I also live in Wisconsin in which 4x4 and snow traction is necessary.

any help is much appreciated. I know i may get some hard core Titan's on this site which i expect, but if you can be honest as possible. this is a big decision as i will be losing a bit of money. thanks again.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sorry to haer about the problems with your F-150. I was in your same boat a while back actually. Being from a Ford family myself, I was dead-set on getting an F-150 since I too tow a bass boat and I do a lot of off-roading (not hard-core, just for hunting, hiking, etc..). I test drove a few of them and was really disappointed with the way they drove and the lack of power, etc.. I actaully drove a GMC and a Dodge too, I had no intention on getting either one, but just to get a comparison to the Ford. Well, I actually live only a mile from the Nissan dealership and just spur of the moment pulled in and gave a quick look at the Titan. Yes, I got cornered by the salesman to test drive it, but I had absolutely no interest in it. He finally talked me into it, so I got behind the wheel and was seriously shocked at the ride quality and especially the power. To make a long story shorter, I ended up buying it that night, and I have been completely happy ever since. My advise to you is, "go test drive one". It wasn't until almost a year after I bought it that I stumbled across this site, which made me even more satisfied with my purchase......absolutely no regrets. BUT....be warned, you WILL be bitten by the "mod your truck" bug by hanging around on this site!!! Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I too was an F-150 owner prior to buying my Titan. And like Higgy, I never thought that I would own an import. My wife actually liked the Titan and wanted me to test drive it - I gave in. I was instantly impressed by the ride and, ofcourse, the power. I have had several friends in the truck that were also very impressed with the smoothness of the ride. Two of them have gone out and purchased a Titan and one has bought the Armada after riding in my truck.
The Titan had problems the first year, but since has been very solid. Give it a test drive and formulate your own opinion about the ride and handling. You'll be impressed. Good luck with your decision either way. Feel free to come around and check out TitanTalk regardless.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
I have discussed this several other Titan owners before. If the dealerships could get more people in to test drive the Titan, they would sell a lot more of them.

Go drive one and your mind will be made up. It's an easy decision.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was another one that was set on buying a F-150. However, I decided to test drive a Titan since I liked the way it looked. The test drive sold me on the Titan. When I compared the 2 trucks, they seemed identical on paper, but the drive was the deciding factor. Also, when I bought mine, the cost was a lot better on the Titan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how does it tow? have there been any major issues with the titan?

gas mileage? (not to worry, i own a ford so i am used to 13mpg) but just curious... please keep them coming!!

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I was a Ford man also. My last being a 05 F-150. There were a couple of issues that made me question my loyalty to Ford. When my local Ford dealer low balled me on a trade in quote that was enough. Ford doesn't care about taking care of it's long term customer. They are paying for it and will continue to pay for it until the learn it's not the quick sale but the long term customer that counts. My new Titan is my first experience with a truck that is not "american". The funny part is I read more everyday that suggest this truck is more american than most from the big three. Give the Titan a test drive. You will hear some bad stories about this truck. Most issues were with the early models and have been resolved. I have had mine for about a year and about 14,000 miles so far. The only time it has seen the dealership is four routine stuff. As far as reliabilty I think my Titan can stand up to anything else out there. There will always be some that disagree but you will find that with every brand.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I just saw your second post. As for mileage I have a king cab 4x4 and I get about 17mpg. I don't tow but I can tell you the power difference with the Titan is amazing. The ride quality is very close to my F-150. The biggest thing I noticed is the truck drives much smaller than it is. It is very easy to "wheel around" wether your in the city or out on the trail. You really need to test drive this truck to understand. I doubt you will walk away without wanting to buy one.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I had a 99 ford f150 before the titan. It only had the 4.6 in it so it was a dog compared to the titan. The titan rides smoother, is faster, has more tourque, etc.. It just does everything better. But of course this is comparing a 2006 to a 1999 so it should be better.

Now my dad has a 2wd 5.4L 2005 F150. I really like the interior on it a lot better. I think it rides smoother. Gas mileage is really comparable but i would lean with the titan for gas mileage. Only because my truck is 4x4 and my dads is 2wd and we both get around 16mpg on the interstate. The towing is really close to each other, i also have a 19ft bass boat. I honestly thing they both tow really alike. I feel the boat behind both the same. They squat about the same and the power is equal. The titan will clean the doors off the ford when it comes to speed. In a race its not even close. I think the ford corners better but again probably because i have the 4x4 witch sits higher.

I think they are about equal in every category but pure HP and racing. So th titan is one up on the ford in that matter. As for as relabiltiy i have 22000 miles on the titan and have had a transfer case leak. The ford has 45000 and has only had the electric seat motor go out. My 99 f150 had 216000 miles on it when i traded it in. I only replaced the alternator, radiator, and tires. So I will see if the titan can compare. I really dont expect it to be as reliable but i hope it proves me wrong.

·
Super Moderator
162,263 Posts
Towing is one of the strong suits for the Titan, IMHO. Mileage while towing? Keep in mind I'm 2WD, but mine is around 12 probably. Fighting a headwind with a 27 foot travel trailer behind me, or going up and down the hills around here, it drops. I've gotten as low as around 7 or maybe 6, but any other half ton would be comparable. Where the other half tons (yes, I towed with and F150 for a time, and a Chevy Express van) don't compare is the ease with which this thing tows. There's lots of power, and at the RPM's where you need it.

On the other hand, the Titan doesn't like to stay "locked" by the torque converter when you're towing. At more moderate changes in throttle it unlocks, whereas the others would stay locked that little bit longer. It's not an issue really, as the VK56 likes to rev when it tows. It's happy there. Go drive one if you haven't. You'll make up your mind pretty easily I think. Best of luck!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Re: Titan owners, and need some help

My only comparison to another truck was my dad's Ram 1500 Quad Cab.

The interior in the titan is TONS nicer, lots more room in the back seat and a more comfortable ride.

We took a ride up through the White Mountains last weekend and the way up I got 20.6 MPG (150 miles) and on the way back I got 18. It is an 08 Crew Cab 4x4

I love it, I would never have another truck.

As a side note, I have a good friend that works service for Nissan and used to work for Ford and he does not recommend buying a new ford to many people (unless he does not like them)

·
Registered
682 Posts
just test drive one.... that will sell you on it right there. i had an f150 and hey it was a great truck. in 156,000 miles on only raplaced the door lock actuators, radiator, and heater core. but the titan is awesome, 5 speed tranny, it looks great, rides geat(so does 150 though), huge interior,motor is an animal, and you get the reliabilty of the imports. just test drive one, theres nothing to lose?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts