Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the Titan have rear wheel steering as an option in the near future? That's what is implied in the statement below, from pickuptruck.com. It would get the turning circle down below 40ft, which would be a big help when parking, making u-turns, and in tight offroad situations. GM owners who have it love it, from what I have read, especially for towing. On the GM trucks, it is a $2000 option (and includes some other equipment).
For the near future, GM will have the monopoly on Quadrasteer, but Delphi insiders say that it will be turning up on two other pickup models in due course. Since Ford has essentially taken a pass on the technology for the new F-Series (they saw how slowly it was selling for GM and decided it wasn't worth the effort), that only leaves the Nissan Titan and the next version of the Toyota Tundra. No one at either company will comment, of course, but what other large pickups are there?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Motor Trend is apparently reporting that Nissan is currently testing the real wheel steer system from Delphi, on a Titan truck. Got this info from a forum posting at pickuptruck.com.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here's the quote from the May 2004 Motor Trend.

"Delphi is working with Nissan to provide its Quadrasteer system for the Titan pickup and Pathfinder Armada and Infiniti QX56 sport/utilities. While timing is uncertain, the Nissan/Infiniti trucks could soon get the system, which steers the rear wheels in the same direction as the front ones at highway speeds and steers them in the opposite direction for parking maneuvers. Delphi is said to be testing a Titan pickup with Quadrasteer and is reportedly disappointed with General Motor's marketing of the technology. Typically, Quadrasteer has been part of a package costing more than $6000 for premium, heavy duty Chevy and GMC trucks and SUVs. More recently, GM has offered it as a $1900 standalone option for certain trucks."

·
Registered
129 Posts
4 wheel steering using 4 wheels that tilt is a good idea but I wonder if it is the only way to accomplish the task.

GM promotes their Quadrasteer by saying it allows easier parking at low speeds, and easier towing at high speeds. But the downside is larger rear fenders and wheelwells that intrude into the bed. And, the system is expensive.

I'm mainly after easier parking. I don't really care about easier towing. Couldn't Nissan reprogram their active brake limited slip and vehicle dynamic control system to completely lock one rear wheel while allowing the other to spin (at low speeds only, and when the driver activates a control). Then the rear of the vehicle would slide sideways (like a skid steer bobcat). The front of the vehicle would turn the normal way (with tilting wheels).

You might not be able to turn both ends of the vehicle at the same time (as you can do with Quadrasteer), but you could selectively turn either the front or the rear.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Albert1234 said:
But the downside is larger rear fenders and wheelwells that intrude into the bed. And, the system is expensive.
Not always. The Suburban with QuadraSteer does not have larger fenders, or intrusive wheel wells, according to what I have read from owner's comments.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Albert1234 said:
4 wheel steering using 4 wheels that tilt is a good idea but I wonder if it is the only way to accomplish the task.

GM promotes their Quadrasteer by saying it allows easier parking at low speeds, and easier towing at high speeds. But the downside is larger rear fenders and wheelwells that intrude into the bed. And, the system is expensive.

I'm mainly after easier parking. I don't really care about easier towing. Couldn't Nissan reprogram their active brake limited slip and vehicle dynamic control system to completely lock one rear wheel while allowing the other to spin (at low speeds only, and when the driver activates a control). Then the rear of the vehicle would slide sideways (like a skid steer bobcat). The front of the vehicle would turn the normal way (with tilting wheels).

You might not be able to turn both ends of the vehicle at the same time (as you can do with Quadrasteer), but you could selectively turn either the front or the rear.
Are you sure you don't own stock in a tire manufacturer?! This sounds like a formula for excessive wear on expensive tires.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Albert1234 said:
Sounds like a good way to flat spot the tires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
outahere said:
Not always. The Suburban with QuadraSteer does not have larger fenders, or intrusive wheel wells, according to what I have read from owner's comments.

Actually the Suburban does have larger rear flares with quadrasteer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is exciting news because Quadrasteer is the one GM truck feature which is truly useful and that no one else has. If it wasn't so expensive and marketed so poorly by GM, I think it would be far more popular today. If Nissan would have Quadrasteer as an option for the 2005 model year, I'd buy it for sure. If you ever driven a vehicle with it, I think you'd be sold.

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Derodeo said:
This is exciting news because Quadrasteer is the one GM truck feature which is truly useful and that no one else has. If it wasn't so expensive and marketed so poorly by GM, I think it would be far more popular today. If Nissan would have Quadrasteer as an option for the 2005 model year, I'd buy it for sure. If you ever driven a vehicle with it, I think you'd be sold.
I totally agree! Quadrasteer addresses 1 of the 2 main shortcomings of "full size" pickups, poor maneuverability in tight situations. I also hope it is priced more reasonably, like under $1000. The other shortcoming of "full size" pickups is poor mileage, but that should be solved in the near future by diesel engines and hybrid drivetrains. Nissan is way behind Toyota and Honda on hybrid technology, so I expect to see a diesel in a Titan rather than a gas-electric hybrid powertrain.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Half Shovel said:
Have you ever taken a RIDE in a Quadrasteer Chevy? Bumpity-Bumpity-Bumpity...rougher than the 2-wheel steer setup.
That is because of the springs and shocks, and not because of the steerable rear axle.

·
Registered
662 Posts
outahere said:
That is because of the springs and shocks, and not because of the steerable rear axle.
Ah but additional weight may be a factor as well. With more weight Chevy may have deemed it necessary to install stiffer springs...creating a rougher riding truck.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Personally I don't feel as though the quadrasteer system offers any great advantages. Sure it may turn a bit quicker or park a bit easier but I always feel that less complicated and few parts mean less can go wrong with your vehicle and cheaper long term ownership.

·
Registered
46 Posts
dman has a point.

Also... anyone know of someone who has a GM with Quadrasteer? Whats the alignment maintenance needs/cost like for that feature? I'm sure that its higher than a front-steering vehicle just like maintenance costs are a little higher for 4x4s over 4x2s.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dman said:
Ah but additional weight may be a factor as well. With more weight Chevy may have deemed it necessary to install stiffer springs...creating a rougher riding truck.
The springs are stiffer because Quadrasteer is only offered on the 3/4 ton Chevy pickup, and not on the half ton truck. If QS were available on the 1/2 ton Chevy, I see no reason why it should adversely affect the ride.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dman said:
............ but I always feel that less complicated and few parts mean less can go wrong with your vehicle and cheaper long term ownership.
Do you buy your vehicles without A/C, power steering, automatic transmission, limited slip differential, alarm system, audio system, power windows, or air bags? After all, these things make a vehicle more complicated and are susceptible to future problems. :thedevil:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts