Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Vendor
32,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
aint that bad like most have been complaining about. KBB Private Party still nets me over 20k

AND I paid 19,900 for it in May of 05. And for those that doubt the "Excellent Rating" Ask people who on here that can't believe my truck is a 04

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/PricingReport.aspx?ManufacturerId=35&YearId=2004&VehicleClass=UsedCar&VehicleId=Ny8xMS8yMDA3fDMyMjQ=&PriceType=Private+Party&ModelId=245&Mileage=17714&SelectionHistory=3224|3774|90503|0|0|125078|true|125104|true|125100|true|125100|false|125104|true|125104|true|125178|true|125187|true|125203|true|125231|true|125262|true|125256|false|125292|true&Condition=Excellent&QuizConditions=0#survey

04 SE KC 17,714 BT UT Aftermarket Wheels, Step Bars

This not including the additional $$$$ on intake & exhaust.

So stop your b!tching people

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
P's Titan said:
Trade in came out at 18,300

Still just about what I paid for and it's a 3 year old truck. Don't know why people are b!tchin
I think some people a complaining because they don't bargain enough or maybe don't go to the right dealer.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Guarantee you will not get $18,300 from a dealer.. Maybe $14 or $15K max on trade in. The intake and exhaust doesn't matter what you paid. Only on a private party sale.

P's Titan said:
Trade in came out at 18,300

Still just about what I paid for and it's a 3 year old truck. Don't know why people are b!tchin

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree with hemietr. You won't see any where near that on a trade. Heck I have a 05 crew cab se and mines a 4x4 with kmc wheels, 295's and leveled and that stuff doesn't mean a thing to a dealer. I'm having a heck of a time seeing $18,300 on mine! Maybe in a area where there is a stronger nissan presense I could see a better trade in value. Where I live I have 1 dealer 45mins away, another 90 mins away and 2 more 70 mins away. I have have about 9 chevy, dodge, ford dealers in every direction from me at 20-30 mins away. The non domestics aren't very popular in my rural area.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You may get close to trade-in at the dealer with your goodies and after you push long & hard enough. In general, dealers buy "wholesale" which tends to be in the 75-90% value of trade-in reported by KBB, Edmunds, NADA, etc.

$18,300 x .75 = $13,725
$18,300 x .80 = $14,640
$18,300 x .90 = $16,470

I can see why people get frustrated trading in their vehicle to the dealer but as stated alot of it has to do with how hard you are willing to push the dealer and also which dealer you go to. If you go somewhere that the dealer sells a crap load of Titans, there's alot better chance you'll get more money vs. if you go somewhere where mainly small import cars is the majority of their sales.

Also, don't forget...everyone that b*tches about trading in a vehicle...you have a friggin' choice! You can always sell it outright via Autotrader.com, Cars.com, local newspaper, internet forums, etc. Granted, it's more hassle, but the reward is more money for a vehicle that is probably worth what you are asking. Remember, even the best trade-in allowance will allow the dealer to take and clean up the vehicle and sell it for a PROFIT! That's why they are there....to make money.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Because people paid a lot of money for leather and other crap nobody cares about when buying a used t r u c k! so that 35k truck aint worth it buddy!

but that 20k is still worth a good deal. fact of the resale market

·
Registered
801 Posts
In the Midwest you get KBB if you are honest on the options and condition of your vehicle for trade in. I've printed out the page / copied the book page before the internet - and brought in to confirm their offer. I've had dealers print the page for me to prove their quote. Its been that way for 15yrs for me. Not sure what everyone else is doing, looking at etc. The titan is right behind the tundra for resale value.

·
Registered
969 Posts
that's weird because 99% of dealers use auction prices.. that's right, they don't care about nada, kbb or anything else that you have access to except when they are selling you something.

something else you might not know.. no vehicle is actually excellent. the excellent field is misdescribed and applies to something you drove off the lot, circled around the block and returned to trade in. that's excellent.

everything else is good regadless of what you might think your ride looks like. and that's a fact and that's why people are like "oh man but my excellent report said 18600 but i only got 17800! no fair".

paint swirls from the carwash do no equal "excellent" just to give you an idea.

welcome to the car world....

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Kbb has work for me too I always take printouts and 3 trade-ins later I got what KBB listed. Is all in the game you need to know how to talk to them and dont give up, all 3 tradings where $0 down and I had a negative balance.

·
Registered
639 Posts
gyrate said:
that's weird because 99% of dealers use auction prices.. that's right, they don't care about nada, kbb or anything else that you have access to except when they are selling you something.

something else you might not know.. no vehicle is actually excellent. the excellent field is misdescribed and applies to something you drove off the lot, circled around the block and returned to trade in. that's excellent.

everything else is good regadless of what you might think your ride looks like. and that's a fact and that's why people are like "oh man but my excellent report said 18600 but i only got 17800! no fair".

paint swirls from the carwash do no equal "excellent" just to give you an idea.

welcome to the car world....

Regarding excellent... I'll have to disagree with you on that one. I sold my 2000 SR5 4WD Tundra right at "excellent" to a private party couple last year around this time. They test drove the truck and told me flat out that they loved the truck but hated my asking price. I politely told them that if you can find the same six year old truck in this condition, with the engine compartment and interior so clean that you can eat off of it at a local dealership cheaper... BUY IT!!!

I had a good feeling that they would shop me then call me back at some point.

They called me three days later after visiting seven (7) local dealers and finding no truck as well taken care of and as clean as mine. They simply stated that they could find the truck cheaper, but either the truck was "miled" up or it was smoked in or not taken care of as well as mine. I got a great price for it, so it really depends on the buyer and the state of the vehicle in most circumstances. Did I mention that the truck was white in color? I thought I'd have a heck of a time selling a white truck for a fair asking price!

Quite frankly... the only part of the deal that was a pain in the buttocks at all was paying the $100 to have the truck completely detailed inside and out and waiting for the cashier's check to clear. Best $100 that I've spent in a looooooong time.

Quite frankly, I have found that people would rather purchase from private owners rather than stealerships for the obvious reasons, mostly not having to spend an entire afternoon in a stealership.

Personally, I have already decided to use Carmax the next time that I'm buying a new vehicle. Spending an entire day in a stealership is a thing of the past for me!

·
Vendor
32,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TitanThunder said:
Regarding excellent... I'll have to disagree with you on that one. I sold my 2000 SR5 4WD Tundra right at "excellent" to a private party couple last year around this time. They test drove the truck and told me flat out that they loved the truck but hated my asking price. I politely told them that if you can find the same six year old truck in this condition, with the engine compartment and interior so clean that you can eat off of it at a local dealership cheaper... BUY IT!!!

I had a good feeling that they would shop me then call me back at some point.

They called me three days later after visiting seven (7) local dealers and finding no truck as well taken care of and as clean as mine. They simply stated that they could find the truck cheaper, but either the truck was "miled" up or it was smoked in or not taken care of as well as mine. I got a great price for it, so it really depends on the buyer and the state of the vehicle in most circumstances. Did I mention that the truck was white in color? I thought I'd have a heck of a time selling a white truck for a fair asking price!

Quite frankly... the only part of the deal that was a pain in the buttocks at all was paying the $100 to have the truck completely detailed inside and out and waiting for the cashier's check to clear. Best $100 that I've spent in a looooooong time.

Quite frankly, I have found that people would rather purchase from private owners rather than stealerships for the obvious reasons, mostly not having to spend an entire afternoon in a stealership.

Personally, I have already decided to use Carmax the next time that I'm buying a new vehicle. Spending an entire day in a stealership is a thing of the past for me!

nice write up. That is what I was getting at with my post. If you have a vehicle that is perfect; no dings, low mileage, kept up with all service needs then YES you can have a "excellent" condition.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wiscdave said:
In the Midwest you get KBB if you are honest on the options and condition of your vehicle for trade in. I've printed out the page / copied the book page before the internet - and brought in to confirm their offer. I've had dealers print the page for me to prove their quote. Its been that way for 15yrs for me. Not sure what everyone else is doing, looking at etc. The titan is right behind the tundra for resale value.
I've seen you post something similar to this in the other thread also. Could you point me in the direction of one of these dealers? I don't know where in wisconsin you are, but I do know it's not a dealer in la crosse or madison. Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Oh, I have faith you can obtain EXCELLENT pricing if from an INDIVIDUAL and if you choose to sit & wait for the right buyer. But when going to the dealer more than likely you won't get what you want. Now I'm not saying the Titan resale is in the tank, I'm just saying the dealer wants to buy it as low as possible so he can sell it for as high as possible and increase his profit.

As many have already testified, it pays to visit several dealerships and not be afraid to get in their faces and let them know what the vehicle is worth and what you will accept as a fair offer. Truth be known, alot of people don't have the balls to do this. And that's fine, some prefer to be peaceful, I'm just saying to get maximum dollar you can't be afraid to argue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts