Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
There is something wrong, Titans are know for how well they keep cool even while towing in the hot desert...If still under warranty, see your dealer.
The rad caps on some Titans have been know to leak, check your coolant level...

·
Super Moderator
161,702 Posts
And have you changed the radiator cap?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have changed the the Fan clutch, Thermostat, and the Temp sending unit myself. I have a new radiator but haven't put it in yet. It is still under warraty and it has been to service department several time. I told them everthing that I had done to it myself so far. They are clueless!!! Nissan did put a new instrument cluster in it thinking that the gauge might have been bad. That didn't work either.

I'm thinking that it might have something to do with the lift kit I have on the truck. I have a fabtech 6" lift and a 3" body lift on the truck. You think that with the body lift and having to relocate the radiator might have messed with the amount of air that is coming through the radiator?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
BizarroDoug said:
I'm thinking that it might have something to do with the lift kit I have on the truck. I have a fabtech 6" lift and a 3" body lift on the truck. You think that with the body lift and having to relocate the radiator might have messed with the amount of air that is coming through the radiator?
Why did you have to relocate the radiator? I have a 6" lift...Pro Comp and 35" tires and I still don't run hot towing.

Couple of questions...
Are you towing or hauling?
Are you also doing either in overdrive. You might want to drop it into 4th or 3rd if towing?
If towing did you use the Tow mode?

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Any special conditions present when it runs hot?
Have you checked it with a remote thermometer?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the 3" boby lift I had to move the radiator down 3" to keep the fan centered. Which is what the insturctions with the kit advided to do.

I don't really have to hook a trailer to the truck to make it run hot. Trailer just makes it run hot faster! Any kind of incline will make it run hot also. And when I say hot i'm talking between 228 and 333 degrees which is where the gauge is showing at the line before peging the gauge. Buy the way that line on the gauge is 230 degrees! I went as far buying a abd scanner to find that out. On level ground the truck runs at normal temps.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Got any problems with the exhaust?

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Is the electric fan working?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have bought a electric dual fan setup from perma-cool just waiting on it to be shipped to me. I am going to put a new radiator in along with the fans to see if that helps it out any!

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
BizarroDoug said:
The electric fan is seems to working fine!
Seems?
Or is?
Something isn't working if that truck isn't cooling.
Have you checked the radiator for cool spots using a remote IR thermometer?
Have you inspected the wiring under the hood that goes to the temp gauge?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fan is working fine sorry. I haven't checked for cool spots. I asume that your thinking that the radiator may be stopped up? I have flushed the radiator a couple times aready. But I guess that still doesn't rule out being stopped up. I haven't personally inspected in the wiring under the hood because the Nissan dealership said that they checked all that before they put the new insturment cluster in.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Yep.
I'm thinking that the cooling capacity of the radiator is somehow compromised.
You need to get a remote thremometer and check that.
Seems strange on an almost new truck.
Check to be sure you don't have a restricted hose!
As in, kinked when rad was moved up/down!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
When they moved your radiator did anything get pinched or not attached?

·
Registered
978 Posts
when you re-installed your rad, did you bleed the air out of the system after you filled it with coolant? Its possible you might have air in your system, there s/b a bleeder valve near the thermostat. Start up your truck, warm it up and when the thermostat opens, open this valve. If there is air in it, it will start spitting coolant out this valve, keep it open until you see a steady stream of coolant come out, then you know all the air is out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ill check the radiator again before I put this new one in. I have checked all the hoses a number for times and there are no kinks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just checked all the hoses and nothing is pinched off or disconnected. And I have bleed the radiator for air pockets.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
It's not missing some fan blades is it?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts